Heroes of Wesnoth

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jonan

Heroes of Wesnoth

Post by Jonan »

I'm developing a free (GPLv3) game similar to Heroes of Migth & Magic (I suppose you all know it :wink: ) using the Battle for Wesnoth's graphics. The game is programmed from scratch (might look similar to Wesnoth but it has none of it's code). It all started like a way of learning some things about game programming but it's now an university project.

I'm about to release version 0.1 and I would first like to know what does the Wesnoth community think about the name and the licence. I intent to create a file in the images directory naming al the Wesnoth's graphics and saying they are part of the Battle for Wesnoth project, but any suggestion would be much appreciated :hmm: Any how, I want Heroes of Wesnoth to me more graphics-independent (I've even put the same main menu background), but I guess I'll have to wait till I can find an artist :roll:

I've always tried to make the code as simple as possible and I think I've kind of achieved it so if someone has always wanted to help a project like Wesnoth but was never able due to the amount of code an it's complexity, you can give it a try :wink:

Home page: http://heroesofwesnoth.sf.net
turin
Lord of the East

Re: Heroes of Wesnoth

Post by turin »

Cool! I've always wanted to play a GPL'd HoMM look-alike... and it's nice that you went the smart route and borrowed Wesnoth's graphics rather than trying to make your own and leaving the game in a state of extreme ugliness. I can understand wanting to eventually become more graphics-independent, but I'd advise not even trying to redo the sprites themselves - just get new portraits, story art, etc.

Anyway, yeah, if you release your game under the GPL there should be absolutely no problem with using Wesnoth's graphics - you don't even technically have to give credit, though it'd be nice if you did.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I think I knew about its existence in Gna!?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Are you aiming to set it in the wesnoth universe? If not, then using the name might not be the best of plans...

Other than that, it sounds like an interesting concept =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Jonan

Post by Jonan »

turin wrote:I can understand wanting to eventually become more graphics-independent, but I'd advise not even trying to redo the sprites themselves - just get new portraits, story art, etc.
Sure, I have no intention of re-doing all the Wesnoth art. I just want to create new graphics for the interface (buttons, menu backgrounds, etc.) and for the story line.
thespaceinvader wrote:Are you aiming to set it in the wesnoth universe? If not, then using the name might not be the best of plans...
I've thought about it, but haven't made a decision yet. The story isn't that important at this stage of the development so I guess I'll decide when the time comes. Anyhow it shouldn't be any problem to set it in the Wesnoth universe and it could be quite interesting :wink:
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

It would be cool to see Wesnoth become a shared setting (and art-base) for a variety of different games, such as an RPG and RTS. An FPS might be a little tricky. :)
cretin

Post by cretin »

mmm oblivion style. with little sprite units attacking. it looks promising. good luck
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Any screen shots?
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

irrevenant wrote:It would be cool to see Wesnoth become a shared setting (and art-base) for a variety of different games, such as an RPG and RTS. An FPS might be a little tricky. :)
My most long-term plan is to use it for a 2D platformer.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Shadow Master wrote:
irrevenant wrote:It would be cool to see Wesnoth become a shared setting (and art-base) for a variety of different games, such as an RPG and RTS. An FPS might be a little tricky. :)
My most long-term plan is to use it for a 2D platformer.
I know this is a joke, but it sounds interesting anyways. :|
Jonan

Post by Jonan »

Sapient wrote:Any screen shots?
Sure, here I leave you two battle screen shots (human vs skeletons and bats :twisted: ):

They'll probably not be that impressive, but I'll soon have the world map ready and will be able to release a "playable" version :wink:
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Battle map looks good, if a little bland. I'll be waiting for the world map.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Hm... based on those screenshots it looks like you're including the "feature" in HoMM4 where hero units are allowed to participate directly in the battle. I advise against this - it was one of the stupidest changes between 3 and 4, IMO, and it didn't make an appearance in 5.

If I'm misinterpreting the screenshot just ignore this.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Jonan

Post by Jonan »

turin wrote:Hm... based on those screenshots it looks like you're including the "feature" in HoMM4 where hero units are allowed to participate directly in the battle. I advise against this - it was one of the stupidest changes between 3 and 4, IMO, and it didn't make an appearance in 5.

If I'm misinterpreting the screenshot just ignore this.
You're right, the hero can participate directly in a battle. I've still haven't implemented magic, so having a hero with no magic and unable to participate directly is kind of useless. For now I'll just make him behave as any other unit, but I'll probably change that as soon as I can :wink:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Kestenvarn wrote:
Shadow Master wrote:My most long-term plan is to use it for a 2D platformer.
I know this is a joke, but it sounds interesting anyways. :|
Not a joke, seriously.