Can not download the game or connect to server in China

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Re: Can not download the game or connect to server in China

Post by ivanovic »

Shadow Master wrote:
Dave wrote:Actually after analyzing our traffic, we don't think the thread in the off-topic forum is what caused it. We stopped receiving traffic from China a good ten days before that thread was started.

It is possibly caused by our move to the ibiblio servers, which are possibly blacklisted in China.

David
That would be sheer insanity.
No, it would not. Just have a look at what else ibiblio.org does host. We are there just on a virtual host. That is many sites sharing the same IP and just getting redirected by domain name. Some "Free Tibet" stuff is part of ibiblio.org, too. So yes, it might be that the "big firewall" is blocking access to the IP 152.46.7.81.
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

Oy, I'd forgotten just how bad the government was about stuff like that.
Glory in Blood...Needs Programming Help!

If you have time, check out my ongoing serial story...
The Hidden: Secrets of the Future's Past
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

ivanovic wrote:No, it would not. Just have a look at what else ibiblio.org does host. We are there just on a virtual host. That is many sites sharing the same IP and just getting redirected by domain name. Some "Free Tibet" stuff is part of ibiblio.org, too. So yes, it might be that the "big firewall" is blocking access to the IP 152.46.7.81.
I did not know what else was hosted by ibiblio.org besides software-related stuff. :cry:
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
viorc

Post by viorc »

WindEnchanter wrote:Hi, it has been quite a problem since 1.4 release that people in China can no longer connect to wesnoth.org nor download the game and play in official server. I have noticed that in Chinese forum as well as from my friends in China. I guess they have some kind of fireware in China that prevent user from connecting. I wonder if there is a way of fixing this. Perhaps related to host ip?Some ppl used proxy server, but too slow for downloading. I guess ok for online gaming.
The solution of their problem is open-source.
Download firefox web browser and get the gladder add-on.
It gets the wesnoth forum via auto-detected proxy servers.
It works fine for me in China now, while I have been cut off the wesnoth community after the move to the ibiblio.org
The step 1 might be tricky as it seems getfirefox.org is filtered-out too :shock:

Horray for the open source !
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Wow!

Oh that's right. Once it sees the thread, everything is blocked on that IP for 96 hours or so.

If you wanted to be immune to the firewall, all you'd have to do is place everything on https (a self-signed cert is enough).
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE