Hello (Intro + Questions)

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

T.A.M

Hello (Intro + Questions)

Post by T.A.M »

Hi there,

Just wanted to say hello to the community. Been playing Wesnoth for a couple of weeks now. Left the MMORPG that I was playing because of the way it was too time consuming and too poorly run by the company that owns it. Was looking for something to replace it with and was very happy when I found Wesnoth. I liked the campaigns in the beginning but have lost some interest in them now. The multiplayer aspect of the game is what I find interesting and enjoyable. Always was a great fan of boardgames/table-top when I was younger. Is a bit of a revival for me now :)

I will soon, I think, start to play ladder games. I like the whole rating thing (it is the same system as in chess, correct?) since competition is vital for me to keep the up the interest in a game. I am always up for a 1 vs. 1. Drop me a pm if you want to play sometime.

I have some questions that perhaps someone can help me with:

- I can't seem to get the Orocia add-on to work. Download and install and restart. But when I connect to the official server the game freezes. Happens even after I uninstalled the whole game and having repeated the procedure. When I try to remove the add-on via the game function I think it says something like 'missing file'. Any help?

- Are there any mods/admins on the official server?

Anyway, just wanted to say hi. Perhaps an admin can move my post, should be in the wrong topic.

Cheers!
megane
Art Contributor

Re: Hello (Intro + Questions)

Post by megane »

Welcome to Wesnoth :D
T.A.M wrote:- I can't seem to get the Orocia add-on to work. Download and install and restart. But when I connect to the official server the game freezes. Happens even after I uninstalled the whole game and having repeated the procedure. When I try to remove the add-on via the game function I think it says something like 'missing file'. Any help?
Perhaps try running the game from the command line (if you're on Windows, Run > cmd > yada/yada/wesnoth.exe) and tell us what it dumps out at you when it crashes?
- Are there any mods/admins on the official server?
Well, the Devs get online, but AFAIK there's no such thing as "mod status," i.e. power to enforce the rules on other players; if there is, it isn't apparent anywhere.
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
tsr

Post by tsr »

megane wrote:
T.A.M wrote:- Are there any mods/admins on the official server?
Well, the Devs get online, but AFAIK there's no such thing as "mod status," i.e. power to enforce the rules on other players; if there is, it isn't apparent anywhere.
Well, there isn't any special color for the moderators on the server but there sure is a list of current server moderators, some of them can be found in #wesnoth-mp too (if you don't see anyone in the multiplayer lobby).

/tsr
T.A.M

Post by T.A.M »

Thanks for answers!
megane wrote:Perhaps try running the game from the command line (if you're on Windows, Run > cmd > yada/yada/wesnoth.exe) and tell us what it dumps out at you when it crashes?
About this. I am not exactly sure what to do here. Is there a possibility that you can explain it to me in a bit more detailed way? Especially the "tell us what it dumps out" part. I am not very good with computers as I am sure you can tell.

Cheers
scienceguy8

Post by scienceguy8 »

All computer operating systems consist of two parts: a friendly, easy to use interface, and the kernel, the guts of the beast. When you use the friendly interface, called a GUI, you are indirectly telling the kernel what to do. What Megane wants you to do is interact with the kernel directly. I could probably help you if you were on a Mac or other UNIX-based machine, but my knowledge of Windows is limited.
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

There should be some file called "stderr.txt" or something like this in "C:\Program Files\Wesnoth" directory. I do not remember it correctly, but I hope you will find it. Then:
* delete the file;
* run the game again and produce the error (connect to the official server, and let the game freeze);
* open the file, and post here what it contains.
The information in file could be useful for others to help you.
T.A.M

Post by T.A.M »

Viliam wrote:There should be some file called "stderr.txt" or something like this in "C:\Program Files\Wesnoth" directory. I do not remember it correctly, but I hope you will find it. Then:
* delete the file;
* run the game again and produce the error (connect to the official server, and let the game freeze);
* open the file, and post here what it contains.
The information in file could be useful for others to help you.
Ok, followed your instructions. Here is the result:

Battle for Wesnoth v1.4.1
Started on Mon Apr 28 10:58:28 2008

Checking video mode: 1024x768x32...
setting mode to 1024x768x32
WARNING: setlocale() failed for 'en_GB'.
loadscreen: filesystem counter = 203
loadscreen: binarywml counter = 15926
loadscreen: setconfig counter = 44
loadscreen: parser counter = 75210

Hopefully this can be of help.

Once again, thanks for all the help so far.

(I edited this post because I posted the wrong data on the first try...)

/T.A.M
T.A.M

Post by T.A.M »

Well, tried to change from English (GB) to English (US). Didn't work. Deleted the Orocia files and downloaded them again. Here is the report after this:

Battle for Wesnoth v1.4.1
Started on Mon Apr 28 12:16:41 2008

Checking video mode: 1024x768x32...
setting mode to 1024x768x32
WARNING: setlocale() failed for 'C'.
WARNING: setlocale() failed for 'C'.
set locale to 'C'
loadscreen: filesystem counter = 203
loadscreen: binarywml counter = 31852
loadscreen: setconfig counter = 44
loadscreen: parser counter = 226

Not a big deal if I can't download it though. /T.A.M
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Using the command line does NOT mean you're interacting with the kernel, you're interacting with a non-graphical shell, but it's definitely not the kernel, it's just a program.

Anyway, can you edit your shortcut to wesnoth from
C:\.....\wesnoth.exe
to
C:\.....\wesnoth.exe --log-debug=all

After you do that, stderr.txt should become a lot bigger, throw the results on pastebin and post the link here.
T.A.M

Post by T.A.M »

I managed to solve the problem. Or at any rate, it seems to have gone away now.

Not sure what caused it but I reinstalled a number of times. Maybe it had something to do with the order of installing add-ons.

My guess, however, is that I started Wesnoth from that thing called 'all processes'. It worked fine with some add-ons but not with Orocia and not with Siege War. I now start it with that thing called 'Athlon', which is what I have. So I guess it was my fault all the time. Still, not sure whether this was what made the problem go away.

Thanks again for all replies.

Cheers!
scienceguy8

Post by scienceguy8 »

AI wrote:Using the command line does NOT mean you're interacting with the kernel, you're interacting with a non-graphical shell, but it's definitely not the kernel, it's just a program.
Oops. Must...learn...more...UNIX...
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis