The Era of Myths 5.19.0

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: The Era of Myths: 2 years old, handing over for a while.

Post by Velensk »

I'm working on a vampire campain. I've recently finished third senario, but I have no clue when I'll be done.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

This is also in the other thread however I think that it is important enough to warrent being posted in the mainthread where more people are likely to read.

I think a problem going on here is that all the campains are decentralised, from the sounds of it, every single map-maker has his own map/idea (I do). Unless we don't want the campains centeralized to a single world, we should co-ordiate something, which would be hard consitering that we all have diffrent ideas, and have put work into them all.

I could be imperical and say that as maintainer my world is the "cannon" one, but that would be rather forcefull and awkward for people who have already been working on campains with a diffrent map.

I'm going to post my map. I'd like comments on the world set-up/arrangement/lore I'm going to present. If the geography in your maps does not match-up it could be in some other part of the world or such.

Firstly I propose that Myths have a seprate world altogether. This eliminates complications/need to avoid stepping on mainlines toes.

Races:
--Humans/Therians/Windsong :All technicaly the same race, but diffrent societies.
-Humans: there are a few mighty city states out there, but in general humans tend to get subjegated by the other races
-Therians: These humans are diffrent, having a diffrent society, and more magical powers (especialy shape shifting) these humans are more able to hold their own, have good relations with the warg, and are generaly peacefull with the celestials (but not always). Mostly live in the south, but there are a few places located more northward.
-Windsong: mysteriouse people, consisting completely of abducted female humans. Their numbers are few, and the goals/motives obscure, but they have massive libraries and towers full of books of ancheint lore, and strange powers. Humans hate them because they steal the most fit of their daughters right from under their noses. Most other races distrust them.
--Vampires: made out of humans, but diffrent. Will naturaly subjegate humans and rule them as lords
--Warg: Seprate race, tends to live in small clans/packs that are scattered about the world with nomadic tendancies, have good relations with the Therian humans with whom they feel they have a strange spirt brotherhood.
--Celestials: Probably the strongest military force in the world, for the sole reason that they are one unified nation with militaristic nature.
--Elementals: Not realy a people, just the avatars of the spirits of nature who defend it, and are scattered about wherever their element is strong. Can be controled by a magician of significant skill, but at consiterable cost to himself.
--Devilings: Scattered about the world are tribes of devilings who live for nothing more than to torment others. Devilings are ussualy nomadic, and due to their chaotic tendancies do not ussualy have enough force to ever pose a seriouse threat to any significant force. However for some strange reason some places will attract devilings that will stay their for long periods of time.

Map key
Normal castle=celestial city
Ruined castle=human/therian settlemnt
camp=warg tribal area
swamp castle=place where devilings gather
elf castle= Windsong tower/or citadel
Dark castle= vampire lord

I have labled the places that I plan to give significance to in my campain. which will mostly happen in the southeren most moutain range. I have labled the vampire lords that might be important, the celestial cities that I've given names, and a few places that will be important when I start on my windsong campain (though I'd like some imput from megane before I go to deep into that.
Attachments
EoM_map_lables.png
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

I fully support the idea of a new world for EE.

So it looks like the main conflicts would be between Celestials and Vampires. Devlings (there is no extra i) would be kinda like the orcs in that they're the raiders but i think they wouldn't really settle somewhere unless they completely overrun it.

I like it.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

The main conflics I pictured happening

Vampire vs Celestial (long standing enemies with easy accsess to each other)
Vampire vs Therian (Vampires are allways looking for more serfs to provide labor and blood for them)
Celestial vs Anything in their way (If celestials get into their heads that something is a good thing to do, and if there are people in their way, I doubt they'd have any objection to killing them)
Warg vs Warg (hunting/territory rights)
Deviling vs everyone (I don't think I need explain)
Elemental vs intruder (Elementals will defend their territory)
Anyone vs human (it may be vampires looking for serfs, celestials bringing light to the ignorant, windsong hunting for recruits, warg defending their forests, or whatever else you think of, but I imageine that humans are going to get attacked allot)

Other conflicts I would imagine would happen.

Windsong vs random or random vs Windsong (I don't know why the windsong would fight anyone, or why anyone would fight the windsong, but I imagine that it won't be uncommon)
Mad-mage vs world (The mage who found the artifact that lets him control hordes of elementals or whatever trying to conquer the world)
Vampire vs Warg (I don't imagine that they would get allong well together)
Devling Fan

Post by Devling Fan »

I like all this so far. =D I always imaged some Devling tribes might have Chiefs at war with each other over stupid things like insults or being 'ugly' or something.
Am I correct in thinking that most Devlings would work in large hoardes to tribes under the command of a (or a council of) Cheif(s) or Hero(s) etc. ?
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Devling Fan wrote:I like all this so far. =D I always imaged some Devling tribes might have Chiefs at war with each other over stupid things like insults or being 'ugly' or something.
Am I correct in thinking that most Devlings would work in large hoardes to tribes under the command of a (or a council of) Cheif(s) or Hero(s) etc. ?
I figured devlings would do things more out of general consensus than actual leadership. Like they all agree to raid a village, while the idea was first put forth by some random devling, while the chiefs provide directions and leadership during the actual raid.

But thats just my impression.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

They're far enough apart, they won't get in each other's way, but futurized versions (UtBS-era) could utilize variations on EoM units. I think that's a good option to have.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

I personally support them being in the same world, just far away, especially because (IIRC) the Therians are actually supposed to be from Wesnoth, having migrated to these strange lands following the great cataclysm.

Question: might it be worthwhile to make a sort of pseudo-faction to represent the generic humans? It'd basically be modified Outlaws/Loyalists, and probably shouldn't be in the actual Era as such (so not in MP), but it might be useful for campaigns.

Edit: if you wish, I'd be willing to draw whatever finalized map you create in vector.
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

The problem I have is tha I can't figure out where on the World of Wenoth map this place would be, and I have no clue how far away we can get. With a seprate world there is no need to worry about any of that what-so-ever, Whereas I cannot see any advantage to staying on the same world, other than that the current Therian lore says that they are from it.

If we go off what JW said in his last post then I should flip the map north to south and have the cold part be at the very base of the world, and the map should be to the south east of Wesnoth. I have not problem with this, but I'd still prefer to give it a seprate world so that campain designers don't have to worry about historical/geographical entanglements (I understand that if it is far enough away then we'd probably not have to worry about this, but I don't see why we should limit ourselves in this instance.)

@Megane: There is no one human faction there are just many villages and city states. I imagine that each would be slightly diffrent, so you could use whatever units would fit that city state. If you are talking about making new units for humans in the Wesnoth world, then that is certainly a possiblitiy for any campain. Thx for offering to draw my map up, I'll try to get you a more finalised map and explain it better some time soon.
Jester

Post by Jester »

Velensk wrote: Warg vs Warg (hunting/territory rights)
I don't feel that this is very much in line with their concept. Sure, there are different packs and tribes that have their respective domains with set boundries. But the Warg are a proud and honourfull people who respect their brethren.

I don't exclude the possibility of Warg v. Warg quarrel, but not over hunting or territorial right. It's more likely that one tribal leader gets offended due to a misunderstanding of sorts and a small skirmish follows. However, they will easily step over their differences to be united against a common enemy.

I'm thinking of writing a Warg campaign (writing it, if someone likes it enough they're allowed to code it) where this is exactly the case. The Celestials will probably be the main adversaries...

EDIT: You can have the Therians originating from the World of Wesnoth and still have the Era of Myths set in some other plane. What if the Great Chasm that took place was some sort of dimensional warp that took the Therians to the world where the EOM factions live. It would make more sense to have the EOM set in another world as the factions are of a completely different nature than the mainline ones. Mainline is traditional Tolkienesque fantasy. EOM not so much.
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

After reading Jesters post I'm inclined to agree with him, both on the acount of warg vs warg, and on the setting idea. That explanation fits the therian lore, and provides the freedom of a new setting, while still allowing interting cross overs (artifacts and scrolls that also got sucked in.

The only problem is the fact that the whole concept sounds utterly rediculas when you think about it. "And as the sun hit the land a demensional gate opens up and swallowed many people and deposited them in a strange land with strange people"
lastdragon

Post by lastdragon »

wargs are less powered they are very weak pls give them a new unit
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Velensk wrote:The only problem is the fact that the whole concept sounds utterly rediculas when you think about it. "And as the sun hit the land a demensional gate opens up and swallowed many people and deposited them in a strange land with strange people"
Obviously a wizard did it.
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

lastdragon wrote:wargs are less powered they are very weak pls give them a new unit
Snort realy do better than that. You give no reason, and realy the warg a pretty good but not if all you use the Era of Myths for is survivals.
zacharias

greedy - good or bad?

Post by zacharias »

Hi!

I think it would be better to change "greedy" trait for devlings. I feel that greedy is more bad then good. Especially with bad luck when I get full castle of greedy units. Imo it would be better when they wouldn´t cost more upkeep OR make needing one less exp to lvl up (you need to be brainy to get more money! :) ).

It´s just my feeling, I dont know if good or bad. :)