Map of the world

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

islandranger

Map of the world

Post by islandranger »

Hi,

Can anyone point me to a map of the world? How about The Southlands? There is some mention of cities and lands there but I can't find any more details.

Thanks,
IR
AI
Developer

Re: Map of the world

Post by AI »

AFAIK the closest thing would be TSG's map, which doesn't go very far south at all. This basically means you can make one yourself.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

what is maragor, anyway?
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Drake islands.
islandranger

Post by islandranger »

Great. Thanks. I am interested in exploring the Southern land as the setting for a campaign idea I'm brewing. Does anyone know who came up with the ideas for Azgar, Serrul, and Kesh, etc.? Has anyone developed these ideas anywhere?
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

islandranger wrote:Great. Thanks. I am interested in exploring the Southern land as the setting for a campaign idea I'm brewing.
Sounds good. Also, don't worry too much about overlapping existing maps - I think it'd be interesting to see different interpretations of the land, including the inaccuracies found in old maps.
islandranger wrote:Does anyone know who came up with the ideas for Azgar, Serrul, and Kesh, etc.? Has anyone developed these ideas anywhere?
Haven't come across these names... maybe someone else can help there?
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Kestenvarn wrote:The Old Continent, which lies west of the Green Isle. (Sketch) (Older sketch)
huh. Well, since Orbivm has broken away from the wesnoth universe, does this place still exist on the Wesplanet? Right now the Old Continent has been modified and skewed, and is now called Evrosia, in Orbivm.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

I believe there still exists an Old Continent in the Wesnoth setting, although it may have remained indistinct while the one in the 'Orbivm' setting (which I know nothing of) continued development after breaking away.

These images are rather old:
That's a fairly interesting edit of the map, by the way. Had no idea it was made... it is a good start.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Currently the Old Continent as it exists in the World of Wesnoth is completely unexplored. (Well, I think there might have been a few campaigns that attempted to do so, but none have really taken off.) So really, there's a lot of space there for world definition. Though I think thematically it might work better if we never really said what was on the OC and had only the Wesnothian continent detailed at all...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

I think megane has done a map of the Southeast of the Great Continent for EoM...

Combined with the extension to the south and north (and probably going further to the south, I'm imagining a desert or something), I'm sure one could cover the whole Great Continent with only having to make up the northeast...
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Aethaeryn wrote:I think megane has done a map of the Southeast of the Great Continent for EoM...
Well, that map was pretty much turned down, but making maps of nonexistent places is one of my hobbies, so if somebody wants to actually nail down a Wesnoth world map -- probably with very vague regions into which campaign writers could build whatever they'd like -- I might be able to help with that.
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

megane wrote:
Aethaeryn wrote:I think megane has done a map of the Southeast of the Great Continent for EoM...
Well, that map was pretty much turned down, but making maps of nonexistent places is one of my hobbies, so if somebody wants to actually nail down a Wesnoth world map -- probably with very vague regions into which campaign writers could build whatever they'd like -- I might be able to help with that.
Well, there's already a list of a lot of maps relating to Wesnoth (including a north/south to the given map), perhaps you could try making a world map with a new east/south of the Great Continent and perhaps only showing the shore of the Old Continent and leaving the rest blank, similar to "unexplored" territory on old maps.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
sam_waz_here

Post by sam_waz_here »

The problem with making a map of the world is that once the map is done either new era lands can't be created in that area or the map has to be updated to add them in.
Where is the love?
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

sam_waz_here wrote:The problem with making a map of the world is that once the map is done either new era lands can't be created in that area or the map has to be updated to add them in.
Unless the map is done "old style" and the further you get from Wesnoth, the less accurate it gets and the more blank "unexplored" territory there is. It's perfectly possible that the Old Continent would only be an outline of the shore in the very far west in any world map.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)