I'm a lover not a fighter

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sam_waz_here

I'm a lover not a fighter

Post by sam_waz_here »

The name fighter is bland and unimaginative and it was used three times:
Dwarvish fighter
Elf fighter
dark elf fighter

I propose the following alternatives
Dwarvish Soldier or Dwarvish Mountaineer
Elf Woodsman or Elf Guerilla
Recruit or Blade Runner (lol)

If you disagree feel free to tell me why the three should all be called fighter or any superior alternative names you can come up with.
Where is the love?
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I'm a lover not a fighter

Post by Sangel »

I actually quite like "Dwarvish Soldier", as I imagine the Dwarves take a very serious approach to their warfare.

The problem with these suggestions in general, though, is that they all convey additional information. "Fighter" just means someone who fights. "Soldier" means a professional warrior; someone who fights for a living, "Guerilla" means the opposite - an irregular combatant, with connotations of hit-and-run assymetric warfare. Mountaineer and Woodsman aren't synonyms at all; they place emphasis on terrain specialty rather than broad combatant nature. Recruit is a very broad term - what are they recruited for? And, let's face it, "Blade Runner" is the name of a famous movie, and thus ill-suited to a unit name.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Been brought up before: http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16747

But didn't get too far even though I think some good ideas were brought up.
sam_waz_here

Post by sam_waz_here »

Well the search bar didn't come up with much since I only searched for the word fighter... Also before this gets locked which it should be because I hate posts that were already done; I would like to use this as a mention that that thread exists and has many superior alternatives to the word fighter. The units are still named fighter so consider this thread a shameless plug and reminder.
You may now lock.
Where is the love?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

"Fighter" is a standard class in many RPG's. I don't see what's so wrong with it.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
rchandra

Post by rchandra »

I do find it odd that the race name is in the unit name, as this leads to

Dwarfish Fighter
Dwarf

in the sidebar. This seems really awkward. I guess they can't just be called "Fighter" due to name conflicts, but it would be neat if each race would have its own unit names (like Kalifa). Or perhaps a better solution is not to display race in the sidebar, as it's not relevant in-game.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

rchandra wrote:I do find it odd that the race name is in the unit name, as this leads to

Dwarfish Fighter
Dwarf

in the sidebar. This seems really awkward. I guess they can't just be called "Fighter" due to name conflicts, but it would be neat if each race would have its own unit names (like Kalifa). Or perhaps a better solution is not to display race in the sidebar, as it's not relevant in-game.
Actually, could just be called "Fighter", without the "Dwarvish". It has "Dwarvish" because having the race type below the unit type is a relatively new feature; it used to just say "Dwarvish Fighter", nothing else.

I agree, with how it is now, the "Dwarvish" part should definitely be removed. I've already done this for all of the units in my UMEs.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
appleide

Post by appleide »

Merman Fighter.
Naga Fighter.
Drake Fighter.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Ah, but if they weren't fighters, they'd be quitters.

Although if you didn't see the UK 2005 General Election, you won't get that.
Snorklecat

Post by Snorklecat »

Sangel wrote:I actually quite like "Dwarvish Soldier", as I imagine the Dwarves take a very serious approach to their warfare.

The problem with these suggestions in general, though, is that they all convey additional information. "Fighter" just means someone who fights. "Soldier" means a professional warrior; someone who fights for a living, "Guerilla" means the opposite - an irregular combatant, with connotations of hit-and-run assymetric warfare. Mountaineer and Woodsman aren't synonyms at all; they place emphasis on terrain specialty rather than broad combatant nature. Recruit is a very broad term - what are they recruited for? And, let's face it, "Blade Runner" is the name of a famous movie, and thus ill-suited to a unit name.
So how about something like scrapper/thrasher/trasher/brawler etc in place of "fighter?"
Septim

Post by Septim »

To alternatives:
Maybe in English sound these names cool, but be mercy to translators. Did anybody think over if all of them could be translated in nonfrenetic way?
sam_waz_here

Post by sam_waz_here »

no idea but if you know how to translate, perhaps you can take that big list of names on the other link and tell us what wouldn't make sense.
Where is the love?