The Era of Myths 5.19.0

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Omega Red

Re: The Era of Myths: 2 years old, handing over for a while.

Post by Omega Red »

Hi,

great work on myth era, combined with ee and default it makes game really fun,

just noticed, after playing a number of games as vampire, i found them slightly weaker than other races
mainly due to their really low resistances -20 fire, arcane, -10 % pierce
i was thinking that a small increase in impact , blade resist would go a long way in helping vampires fight on equal footing
or maybe even more inline with Vampire stuff, the vampire trait could do a small regen (+2hp) to make up for the fact that at them moment it is kinda a waste of a trait slot

Cheers
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Vampires do die easier than their hp would suggest, but they have a number of other advantages that balance it out, you'd get further, if you suggested a match-up that is unbalanced due to it.

As it is, it makes perfect sense that vampires be weak to fire, arcane, and pierce, and no sense that they would resist blade impact or cold. (well maybe cold, but I don't want to have to balance for it)
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

edit: THIS IS WRONG!
see below...

I think the first macro Idea was bad. It isn't possible to create a era using two other addons. Here is my new Idea I got this morning:

Code: Select all

#define GET_EOM_ID VARIABLE
[variable]
  name={VARIABLE}
  value=d4
[/variable]
#enddef
#define CLEAR_EOM_ID VARIABLE
[clear_variable]
    name={VARIABLE}
[/clear_variable]
#enddef
But it will only work, if WML in the [era] tag is alowed.

[era]
  {GET_EOM_ID eomversion}
  {GET_EOLOL_ID eololversion}
  # get all the other required addon id's.

id=eom_eolol_my_era_name_v1337_$eomversion_$eololversion

{CLEAR_EOM_ID eomversion} # clear macro.
  {CLEAR_EOLOL_ID eololversion} # clear macro.
  # clear all the other addon id's you used.
  # all the other things ...
[/era]
Last edited by Lizard on April 17th, 2008, 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ I'll heal you by 4 hp if you post next to me ~
Have a look at the Era of Strife, featuring Eltireans, Eventide, Minotaurs, Saurians and Triththa
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Lizard wrote:I think the first macro Idea was bad. It isn't possible to create a era using two other addons. Here is my new Idea I got this morning:

#define GET_EOM_ID VARIABLE
[variable]
  name={VARIABLE}
  value=d4
[/variable]
#enddef
#define CLEAR_EOM_ID VARIABLE
[clear_variable]
    name={VARIABLE}
[/clear_variable]
#enddef
But it will only work, if WML in the [era] tag is alowed.

[era]
  {GET_EOM_ID eomversion}
  {GET_EOLOL_ID eololversion}
  # get all the other required addon id's.

id=eom_eolol_my_era_name_v1337_$eomversion_$eololversion

{CLEAR_EOM_ID eomversion} # clear macro.
  {CLEAR_EOLOL_ID eololversion} # clear macro.
  # clear all the other addon id's you used.
[/era]
And it should be noted that the above doesn't make any sense and wouldn't do anything.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

would this work?

#define EOM_VERSION
d4#enddef

#ifdef EOM_VERSION
[era]
  id=eom_eolol_my_era_name_{EOM_VERSION}_$eololversion_v1337

[/era]
#endif
Of course, it would help if EoM had a simple detect.cfg to include and check (like EE)
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Could someone please explain to me first of all what is all this code supposed to do, and how it is supposed to do it.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Velensk wrote:Could someone please explain to me first of all what is all this code supposed to do, and how it is supposed to do it.
If I create a faction, let's call them foo, i may want an era foo + EoM because I'm so a big EoM fan. My only problem is, that I can't know if the User has installed EoM. To check this you place an file called detect.cfg in the EoM Main Folder, just as the EE does. Then I could check if the EoM is installed.

To the thing about the Version number: As someone somewhere(I know, it is very exact) pointed out, you can avoid a lot of OOS errors, caused by different Versions of the Era if you change the Id of the era for every Version. the GET_EOM_ID macro is supposed to get the version number, so that a third party addon like my foo era could use booth version numbers in it's ID's. This is what it is supposed to do.

I don't know how to do it, since my attempt is worthless but AI's one looks nice.
~ I'll heal you by 4 hp if you post next to me ~
Have a look at the Era of Strife, featuring Eltireans, Eventide, Minotaurs, Saurians and Triththa
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I'll be sure to do that in delta 4, I'm aleady including the version in the era names.

EDIT: I would appreciate it, if when I set out ot do this that someone check to make sure I get it right, as I've got no clue how to test this, unlike most other things I've done.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Incase anyone is interested, in the stratagy/hints section I have a guide for this era, that details my experiance of how each faction plays and advice for some of the match-ups.

As a progress note: my campain is on it's third senario.
lightdragonx

Post by lightdragonx »

uhhh i think warg is unbalanced because their warrior wolves have the same stats as the orcish grunt but cost five more gold can you either reduce the cost or upgrade the stats please?
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

lightdragonx wrote:uhhh i think warg is unbalanced because their warrior wolves have the same stats as the orcish grunt but cost five more gold can you either reduce the cost or upgrade the stats please?
Uhm.

Grunt: 5 mp, 9-2 sword.
Warrior Wolf: 6 mp, 10-2 claws.

:?:
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Jester

Post by Jester »

lightdragonx wrote:uhhh i think warg is unbalanced because their warrior wolves have the same stats as the orcish grunt but cost five more gold can you either reduce the cost or upgrade the stats please?
Would you also be so kind to check out their movetype? It's pretty sweet compared to the orc's.
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

The exact same complaint was made in the warg thread, but I'll repeat my answer.

Firstly the warrior is supperior or equal to the grunt in every aspect except cost. In addition to the extra damage, and extra mp, he moves and defends better in forest, cave, and snow, and as soon as I get my blackfur art water too.

Secondly factions are balanced against factions rather than units against units. Warg are a mobility based faction, northerners are a horde based faction. The grunt is an incredibly cost effective unit, and could easily justify having a higher cost, however the orcs rely on the cheapness and durabiltiy of them. If every other faction based itself on the grunt for cost efficency, then the northerners would suddenly become under-powered. Warg are balanced based on their incredible mobility (which is about par with the drakes), their high defence in the wild, and the fact that they have all 3 allinments. To balance this their units tend to be quite expensive, and they don't have as much in the way of ranged attacks.

Warg (gameplay-wise) are realy a mix of the northerners and the drakes, and like the drakes you need to learn how to use their mobility or you will get dragged down by their downsides.
DDR

Post by DDR »

I am making a campaign with the Devlings. (5 scenarios working, etc.) Is there any story behind them, already set in stone? Also, is anyone else doing this?

I plan to release in one to two weeks. :)
Devling Fan

Post by Devling Fan »

DDR, your my hero! :p Thankies. Let me know if you need any testers.