Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Weeksy

Re: The Era of Myths art project thread

Post by Weeksy »

IIRC one proposed story for the devlings was something like this :

In their cavernous world, the devlings were giants, lords of all they saw with their beady little eyes, able to crush any bug or worm that crept their way. Wars and alliances, and intrigue abounded, and exploration of their caves was fraught with excitement. Eventually, however, there was no more. It was decided that all of value had been found, there were barriers even their mighty teeth could not go through, so they decided to travel upwards. For many days, they climbed and dug and cursed, but eventually they found themselves blinking at the bright sun, and in a world where they were no longer giant brutes.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Neoskel wrote:Why are the Therians still using the ancient outdated mage graphics?

melon made some perfectly good ones.
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 07#p282507
Because I did not see those when I took over.

EDIT: in latest release, all except the one with the giant wooden mask.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Blood Apprentice line, which I forgot. This is just a size fix: the Sangel was actually shorter than the Apprentice. No female forms for these -- unless they're really desired.
Attachments
sangel.png
sangel.png (4.81 KiB) Viewed 4732 times
blood_apprentice.png
blood_apprentice.png (4.25 KiB) Viewed 4736 times
blood_manipulator.png
blood_manipulator.png (4.76 KiB) Viewed 4745 times
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

No I think it would make more sense that they not have a female form.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Also, I just noticed: the Therian Apprentice and Mage sprites have capitalized names, and thus don't show up on Unix systems, where capitalization matters.
hee hee! - little girl
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

K, I'll fix that.

as an amusing side note: It seems like you wish to coin a new phrase RIHWLIB (reduction in hight when lvling is bad)
Valenwood

Post by Valenwood »

Velensk wrote:No I think it would make more sense that they not have a female form.
Why does that make more sense?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

It's more thematical than logical realy.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

And in those robes, you wouldn't see the difference anyway.
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

As requested, I tried making some projectiles for the Therians' aura attacks. There's a little one for the shifters' and a big shiny one for the monks'.
Attachments
What, you were expecting green maybe?
What, you were expecting green maybe?
monkaura-ne-3.png (1.36 KiB) Viewed 4718 times
auras.zip
(20.32 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
hee hee! - little girl
Guidrion

Post by Guidrion »

Here is a unit I made by frankeinsteining. It was supposed to be an alternative to the crusader but it seems "monker" than the actual one.
"you foolish beast!"
"you foolish beast!"
crusader copie.png (3.21 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
If you want to use it, I could also make him some action positions.
If it isn't useful, well... It was still a good exercise for me :lol2:
"There is no difference between good or bad but thinking makes it so"
William Shakespeare.
Guidrion

Post by Guidrion »

Second work: the divine knight
"All hail Celestials"
"All hail Celestials"
divine_knight.png (3.38 KiB) Viewed 4243 times
William Shakespeare.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Those look cool, but there is one thing that bugs me about them, I think it's that celestials ought not have their faces hid in a dark shroud. I think that if you lowered the colar and made the helmet come down to cover/protect the face it would work better than just having the darkness with eyes.

@Megane: gladly tooken with thanks

EDIT: I've spent the past hour or so trying to get those to work and I think I must be missing something basic, because I can't even get the image to appear. I've tried going off variouse templates, which all seem to be either too simple or too complex, I'd appreciate if you could send me a file containing the code for those, so that I can put them in when I get back from school/work.
Guidrion

Post by Guidrion »

I tried to follow your advice. Here's the result:
crusader copie.png
crusader copie.png (3.22 KiB) Viewed 4482 times
I find him a bit less "crusader". If a crusader is a warrior of the Gods, he still is in the less vertuous way to serve him. Fighting for Gods without showing his face sounded better in my mind.
Anyway, the decision is yours :wink:
William Shakespeare.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

The celestials don't actualy have a god, they beleive in the power of light, and fight for it. That is better but it still does no personify a warrior of the light, it looks like he is trying to hide his face guiltily, like an excecutioner who does not want anyone to see his face, which is not the way that the celestials see themselves. They are a proud people, and beleive that they are doing a great and gloriouse thing in bringing the light to the world. I would appreciate it if their art reflects that perspective.