Wesnoth 1.4.1

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.4.1

Post by ivanovic »

Wesnoth 1.4.1 is out!

This is a bugfix release for 1.4 and it is compatible with the other 1.4 versions.

The major change in 1.4.1 is the rewrite of the multiplayer server to make it faster while using less resources. Beside this caching of maps in the multiplayer lobby was added, so that speed in there should be a lot better on the (crowded) official server. 1.4.1 features some other smaller bug fixes and many spelling mistake fixes. Most translations were updated, resulting in the game now being completely translated to German and almost completely to Swedish. Of course there is also the full changelog listing (almost) all the changes since 1.4. A changelog with changes that might be visible to most users (and only includes these) is the players changelog.

Downloads
Sources:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... 2?download (142.1 MB) md5sum
Here is the xDelta for the sources:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... a?download (1.4 to 1.4.1, 10.0 MB)
Check http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for info on using xdelta.

The Windows binary is not available yet. Once it is, you can find it on the download page.

The MacOSX binary is not available yet. Once it is, you can find it on the download page.

The OpenSolaris binary is already available. You can find it on the download page.

The OpenSUSE and Gentoo packages are already created, all known packagers have been contacted. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them work you get on the Linux binaries site for the Linux binaries. Download links for the other supported systems will be listed at the downloads page once the binaries are available.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ - you should first try to get files through SourceForge to help us save bandwidth.

The multiplayer server for 1.4.1 is already up and running. This server can be used to play with 1.3.18, 1.3.19, 1.4, 1.4.1 as well as all upcoming 1.4.x releases. If you do encounter problems, please report them.

By now the add-on server already offers much content that should be completely compatible with 1.3.18, 1.3.19, 1.4, 1.4.1 as well as all upcoming 1.4.x releases. If you encounter any problems with content from the add-on server not working as expected, please notify the content's author, most of them should be here in the forums.

If you find any bugs don't hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to post bugs first. Instructions for bug reporting can be found at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ReportingBugs.

Enjoy!

PS: Within the next seven days anyone asking when the binary for xyz will be ready will be banned and the post will be deleted. Such questions just distract the developers and packagers and don't do any good, so better not ask them...
Bugreports in the forums tend to get forgotten. You will get better results by following the guidelines and report them in the bugtracker.
Unnheulu

Re: Wesnoth 1.4.1

Post by Unnheulu »

Nice, I wonder if this will stop it giving me memory leak things...

I'll try this out after school, can't wait for the multiplayer!
ulissesroc

Post by ulissesroc »

Mac Os X Binaries are ready
vicza

Post by vicza »

ivanovic wrote:If you find any bugs don't hesitate to report them
The bug with corrupted replays still remains. :cry: Was reported many times already.
Altair

Post by Altair »

I feel that for v1.4 it would be better to find some way to just send across the changed/new files (eg. as an update installer package) as the downloads tend to be big (140 MB....) and this is whipping up a huge broadband/phone bill for many (including me :-)
Last edited by Altair on April 11th, 2008, 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Incremental updates for the source are done and for binaries they simply aren't possible in an easy way. If you want them, find someone with the time and motivation to write a more complex updater.
Hint: if one of the current devs would fit the above description it would already be done. So don't ask them as the answer is known.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
MadOssor

Post by MadOssor »

Altair wrote:I feel that for v1.4 it would be better to find some way to just send across the changed/new files (eg. as an update installer package) as the downloads tend to be big (140 MB....) and this is whipping up a huge broadband/phone bill for many (including me :-)
openSUSE Buildservice will hopefully integrate Delta-RPM support in the near future, in a way that Delta-RPMs are automatically created based on the former RPM existing in the repo tree. The OpenSUSE installer/libzypp already supports it.
MadOssor

Post by MadOssor »

If anyone is interested, here are 1.4.1 builds of my packages for Fedora 8

http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... /Fedora_8/
vicza

Post by vicza »

ivanovic wrote: This is a bugfix release for 1.4 and it is compatible with the other 1.4 versions.
And who can explain me, why the icon in "Preferences -- Sound" was changed? Instead of elf with a harp there's this stupid skeleton now. :x I think, elf was more natural symbol of music section. What was wrong with the elf, that it had to be changed even in the stable version? :annoyed:
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

vicza wrote:
ivanovic wrote: This is a bugfix release for 1.4 and it is compatible with the other 1.4 versions.
And who can explain me, why the icon in "Preferences -- Sound" was changed? Instead of elf with a harp there's this stupid skeleton now. :x I think, elf was more natural symbol of music section. What was wrong with the elf, that it had to be changed even in the stable version? :annoyed:
http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php? ... 2&p=288900 :annoyed: :augh:
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Windows binaries are ready: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... e?download

Edit:
This link looks really weird in my browser, but it works anyway. Oh, well :) .

First i have to apologize for the substantial increase in size. It is due to a number of optimized builds for certain processor architectures. We now provide:
- Intel 486
- Pentium 2
- Pentium 4
- AMD K6
- AMD Athlon

Choose the one which you think applies best to your current hardware.

With all kinds of installations, there will come binaries classified as "All Processors". They are slower but should be more stable. If you experience abnormal crashes with the optimized binary, choose those as a substitute.

By the way, all binaries are installed, but only the one you chose has links in the startmenu or on the desktop for it. So you don't have to reinstall if you want to try another binary (just have a look at the "bin" folder, they are all in there). No special action is needed to make another than the installed binary work if your hardware matches the specifications.

If someone can't make wesnoth run on windows at all, please contact Mist to let him know. I would also be interested in feedback if the optimized builds are substantially faster, so you can really feel the difference. If we get positive feedback on that, we will continue to provide optimized builds. If not, well, the increase in size is probably a minus, then.

Have fun :)
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Anym

Post by Anym »

First of all thanks to the Windows package. There is a very minor issue with it in that the it still assumes that editor.ico and wesnoth.ico are in the Wesnoth 1.4.1/ directory rather than the Wesnoth 1.4.1/bin/ directory and thus the icons don't show up in the shortcuts the installer creates. Speaking of shortcuts, the "(All Processors)" one probably shouldn't have replaced the "(Fullscreen)" but rather been added in addition to it. Irrespective of that you might want to consider replacing "(All Processors)" with "(Safe Mode)" or something along those lines as I'm not sure it's obvious to the average user which of the shortcuts is preferable under normal circumstances.

However, the original reason for this post is that I run into some problems with the optimised builds (all of them, from wesnoth_athlon.exe to wesnoth_i486.exe, except for the P4 one which my processor doesn't support) on my Athlon processor under Windows XP. Nothing serious, like crashes or anything, but rather display glitches. The optimised builds seem to space text more generously making some of it not fit into its window anymore and they don't seem to support bi-directional writing or Japanese characters (at least on my system). I've added two screenshots to illustrate. The wesnoth.exe for all processors works fine, though.
Attachments
Attack dialogue
Attack dialogue
attack.png (47.71 KiB) Viewed 10234 times
Language selection dialogue
Language selection dialogue
I look just like Bobbin Threadbare.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Quick guess: to make this work the libs also have to be compiled for this architecture or we see problems with passing values through MMX/SSE registers in the optimized build and plain old FPU in the libs. On the other hand, this seems to be a bug in the compiler. I'm pretty sure that you won't see such problems in a linux build. I guess using such binaries on Windows is rare enough that we're entering regions which are not as stable as the general case...
BTW I'd replace the Athlon build with an Athlon XP build. Athlon doesn't add much over K6, probably only 3D Now! 2. Athlon XP would add SSE support.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Since all the optimized builds are from Mist, i suppose he doesn't compile with HAVE_FRIBIDI defined.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

No, I don't. I wasn't even aware such switch existed.
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.