Artwork for Children of Dragons

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
BLM

Re: Artwork for Children of Dragons

Post by BLM »

Back again, just to let you know I'm alive and still drawing. At this point I'm still doing sketches, but I have made it rather far into the campaign with them. Also everything thing that you have seen so far I have redone. Here is some line art I just finished today.
The freaky looking dude in the corner is to give a general idea of the size(which with the way it looks now is about godzilla with wings). I think that adding more detail and actually focusing more on anatomy helped it a bunch.
Thanks for the help and suggestions are always welcome. :eng:
edit: looking back over this picture, I realized that he is suffering from an often fatal sickness known as FTS(freaky tentacle syndrome). I did a quick and dirty fix, refresh if you did not notice any change and did not see this edit before.
Bawling Little Man...
BLM

Post by BLM »

Thought I would pop in and show progress again.
Once again, I'm not feeling good about this one... oh well.
Bawling Little Man...
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

He seems to be standing on his claws and he again seems to lack hands (fingers seem to extend too far). Other than that I think he looks pretty good.
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Although note the speech bubble will be untranslateable. :P

And also momie is american, here in Britain we say mumie :P :augh:
BLM

Post by BLM »

xer: yep, but I mostly did it for fun :mrgreen: . I had no intention of leaving it in the final. :P
ai: Also true, that problem keeps arising in my work. More practice should help.

Now here it is with everything colored.
btw they are in the temple of skew, where angles never seem quite right. :P
I'm still not happy with it, but I guess that it will do. :|
Bawling Little Man...
BLM

Post by BLM »

Back again to update with what I just finished today.
called Derk, there are several places that look odd, and where shading does not seem quite correct. The hands are finally half way decent, so I'm happy. :P
Bawling Little Man...
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Thought I'd try and help out with the toes thing, since this guy has the same problem as the dragon above (i.e. he seems to be standing on his tip-toes, though not quite so much as does the large dragon). Basically, since his feet should be pointing forward, and thus towards the "camera," they need to be heavily foreshortened. Right now they're drawn at almost their "real" length, but in reality they'd only look that long if they were parallel to the plane of the picture: hanging straight down. Remember that his whole foot, from front to back, should be touching the floor. Try leaving his heels where they are, but putting the nails about 40 px (approximately -- I'm guesstimating) above where they are now.
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

megane wrote:Thought I'd try and help out with the toes thing, since this guy has the same problem as the dragon above (i.e. he seems to be standing on his tip-toes, though not quite so much as does the large dragon)..
It is my understanding that Drake's have digitigrade legs, therefore they are sorta standing on their tiptoes.

@BLM: I really like this one, the hands look good and not 'noddle-finger'y. Thumbs up, and keep improving. :wink:
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

I think the last one is too much human like in its proportions. The arms don't feel right for me and why should a drake have something resembling breasts?
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
BLM

Post by BLM »

torangan wrote: why should a drake have something resembling breasts?
idk. I was simply baseing the armor on neoriceisgood's sprite as seen below.
The sprite's armor looks kinda like it has breasts, and because it was mainline I thought why not. However the arms probably do look to human like.

About the feet, well I could have put it lower, but it is not in combat and is simply standing. If you have a dog for instance you will notice that on the hind legs most of the foot is used for extention and only the toes are stood on.(dragon dog :hmm: )
Bawling Little Man...
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

1: those sprites are (eventually) going to be replaced, as they need TC.

2: It's not exactly unrealistic for a drake to wear a breast plate. I don't see the problem here - the circles are (or should be) decoration, not anatomically shaped armour, since it's quite correct that a reptile wouldn't have breasts...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
BLM

Post by BLM »

finished the next image.(he is saying don't look at my hands)
background needs touch up(which one does not?) more detail in the wings would also be nice. the poses are looking very similar, but this is intentional. Also I edited the drake glider sprite so that {MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR} would work. It was easy to do, but I was thinking that something more should probably be done. Was the plan to completely replace the sprites or what? Also idle animations would be nice. 8)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bawling Little Man...
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

BLM wrote:Was the plan to completely replace the sprites or what?
This was planed by Neoriceisgood.
~ I'll heal you by 4 hp if you post next to me ~
Have a look at the Era of Strife, featuring Eltireans, Eventide, Minotaurs, Saurians and Triththa
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Indeed - there is significantly more planned than a simple edit of the current sprites. Check out Neorice's signature, if you can find a post by him, to see the future of the Glider, for instance.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Neorices sig was dropped due to use of image tag ;)