Scenario 1: The Elves Besieged

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Roland de Ronceveaux

Re: Scenario Review: Elves Besieged

Post by Roland de Ronceveaux »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Easy, version 1.2.5.
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear. I like campaigns/scenarios with story development and dialog in them, so I thought there could have been more of it.
(5) What were your major challenges in completing the scenario?
No major challenges.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
A bit more dialogues, especially action-specific ones. For example, on one try I had send a strike force south with Delfador to meet the incoming orc force. They did better then expected and I was able to defeat them and kill the orc lord. The NE one was killed by Galdrad's forces while the NW by Konrad with the help of Chantal's elves. This meant the totality of the Orcs had been defeated by turn 14. It would have been nice to have some dialog options commenting on that, or have a different closing statement for Delfador when talking about the fate of the elves.
fan

Post by fan »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
hard, v1.2.6
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) [1]
clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
it was ok, but elves could tell more when dyin;)
save units and get experience
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
north&east orcs are placed just ideal, but south should be closer to Konrad - i didn't feel their breath;)
FireMaster

Post by FireMaster »

1. Easy (0.7.9) Medium (1.0.2) Hard (1.3.6)

2. 4 1/2. When I was playing on Easy, I avoided combat and finished with every unit on full HP. On Medium I got a Ranger and a Captain. On Hard the Troll Warriors killed my Sharpshooter :( (he managed to kill LOTS of trolls and orcs).

3.Very clear.

4.Kinda dumb,and lacks Konrad wanting revenge when his allies die. i.e Konrad attacks an orc: "For Galdrad!"

5.Levelling units.The really annoying thing is when allies steal your kills.

6. 5-6

7. Making the AI not steal your kills.
Just because I'm a master of fire doesn't mean I'll light your "uber candle"
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Holy crap. I'm perfectly content with my standard druid then captain from this level. You got a farking level 3 already? @.@
052Hagen

Post by 052Hagen »

Normal v1.3.14

I thought that it was a pretty though begining, beeing the first scenario and all.

Move Konrad to the northwest corner of the map, roger.

Okay, I guess. I liked it that the first scenario started as an escape mission.

Whaa, trolls! Seriously, I hate those damn fuckers - they dish out massive damage, have plenty of hitpoints and regeneration. It's a pain to fight them with lvl 1 units, especially if you want to earn some EP.
But I'd say the major challenge was to keep Konrad from beeing attacked and killed.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?

6-7

It's a solid start.

* Less wood titles - it takes too long to navigate Konrad and Delfador trough the wood, so maybe you should thrown in some grass titles here and there.
* Move the blue Orc closer to your starting position - this way he'd actually have a chance to reach you before the game is over.
TGM: Orb

Post by TGM: Orb »

Challenging.
4. Not difficult to complete the objectives, but I didn't have the opportunity to do a lot of levelling or deal much damage.
Absolutely.
Clear, yes. Interesting, not at all. The dialogue was pretty generic, and didn't feel fleshed out as much as it could have been. Nor did it actually contribute to building up any of the characters' personalities.
Kill-stealing and blocking AI allies were at times annoying to my secondary goal of getting XP for Conrad and the boys, otherwise, the massive amount of damage that some of the enemies could do did prevent me from brainlessly rushing.
6. Good fun to play, but too easy to really go over that for me. Might be more interesting for me with self-imposed goals.
I'd like to see an element of breakthrough, rather than just evasion and blocking on the 'Challenging' level. Perhaps it's just the way I played it that meant that I didn't actually *need* to kill anything to complete the objectives.
Jigsawn

Post by Jigsawn »

Normal

7 - pretty difficult for the first mission

Clear

I liked the premise of the scenario, though I think it should be made clearer that you should move alongside the allies whilst they clear a path for you.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Figuring out where to go in order not to get gang-raped by the top orcs. Initially I went north and got boned. The next time I tried going west, north of the river, but again got tied up by the advancing orc line. The final time I did it by going far west through the elf fort and north across the river. That time round the allies mostly cleared up.

5 - The allies take some of the fun out of it because they fight more than you, and you're forced to watch a lot of AI movement and fighting, but I like the premise of the scenario.

- Make the safest options clear (and discourage taking the enemy head on).
- Pull the player's fort south, and put another elf fort north-west of it. This elf AI will team up with the eastern elf force and create a battle line across the map. The far west elf force deals with the southern incursion. Therefore the player is forced to flee the powerful southern orc force and flank the superior orc forces on the main battle line - with weaker orc forces in the east to encourage combat for the player on that flank. Dialogue will encourage the player to break through the weakest part of the enemy line.
Lyinar

Post by Lyinar »

Version: 1.2.8

Medium

1. It had the potential to be MUCH more difficult, if I had actually been tied up in battle with the Orcs ... I took one look at those level 2 units and fled with a small cordon of elves to guard Konrad. My allies fought the north orcs and kept them busy long enough for the getaway.

Run away! Run away!

I loved it in this scenario. A great opener to the campaign.

Delfador can't keep up with Konrad and the elves, leaving him potentially vulnerable.

9. There was this delicious feeling of tension, with the elves and orcs battling each other, chaos reigning all around as Konrad flees, trying to escape before his allies are overwhelmed. However, this rating would go down sharply if I had been trapped in battle with the greatly superior Orcs.

Give Delfador the same movement rate as Konrad.
Buddy Jimm

Post by Buddy Jimm »

Boy... you get a job, you drop Wesnoth, and you come back and say "I'ma go play HttT again." And then you're like "Alas! The broken days of yesteryear have passed" because your broken but still fun time-waster has been polished into a brain-jogging epic challenge. Graphics, writing, strategy, balance... it's all gotten better.

I finish the campaign and then feel complled to review, hoping that one guy's constructive review and criticism might be good exchange for the supply of awesome.

But whatever I say after, I will say one thing first: Fellow contributors and players... amazing job.

Medium, 1.3.17

2. I rarely get what I want out of this one, but as long as I pick a good balance of units, getting through is usually a breeze. Especially with Konrad and Delfador being able to more or less keep up now.

Clear. Can't make it much clearer than "Move Konrad to the signpost in the northwest (yes, the one we just panned to and made blink)"

Dialog is good. Storyline is great and well-written.

Really just the XP milking that has become the pastime of this first scenario. Chantal is good at bogarting kills.

7. The story intro is well-written, the urgency is there but not overwhelming, there's combat but it's quick and short.

This one's actually pretty good as is. You get some of that epic feeling in the chaos around you, but your own theater is simple and quick.
tungdil

Post by tungdil »

Medium, 1.3.19

9, because it was an overwhelming force. I have played this scenario two times. First time heading north over the bridge and then west, through the whole forest, always fighters surrounding konrad, because I have feared to loose him. The second time I have seen the path through the elven city, but at this time the west-northern ork lord has closed the gap and I haven't a chance to break through without heavy looses of my small group.

No problem. Where should Konrad go otherwise and the round-limit is so small that you can only go in one direction.

Wonderful storyline and amazing dialogues. Good feeling for the running of my little Konrad.....run, Konrad run.

Survive, only survive, and not loosing any character. Have overseen the power of Delgador! Have recognized his power in the third scenario of this campaign. Maybe a little hint would have show me his potential. Have thought he is only an old men, an old mentor....but he is a powerful fighter!

9. I have felt the urgency and was always in a fear to loose Konrad and Delgador.

Leave it, but put a little hint into it, which shows the power of the Magic!
My life in the two first campaigns would be a lot easier if I would have recognized this.
Anym

Post by Anym »

(1) Hero (Normal), 1.4

(2) 5: Well-balanced. I never felt overwhelmed nor did I feel like I had enough time to dawdle around. [1]

(3) Very clear.

(4) The dialogues were clear, but the characters' motivations weren't always, but I guess that's OK at this point. The storyline was a bit clichéd, but interesting nonetheless.

(5) Finding a balance between gaining experience and playing it safe.

(6) 7: A very atmospheric opening scenario.

(7) The lower half of the map was too uniformly forested IMHO and looked a bit bland and boring as a result. Some clearings or ancient trees or maybe even some more mountains might help with that.

[1] as I haven't played the other scenarios in the campaign yet, I can't really rate it in comparison with the other scenarios in the campaign
I look just like Bobbin Threadbare.
SumnerH

Post by SumnerH »

I'm filling these out having done Elves Beseiged-A Choice Must Be Made on "medium" difficulty.

Medium, Wesnoth version 1.4
1; pretty much trivial unless you send Konrad/Delfador into combat
Very clear; get Konrad out of there
I like this as an opening scenario, lets you get your feet wet and gives you a chance to try to level up some if you want more risk/reward, but it's trivial to just succeed at the goal.
Trying to do ancillary tasks (level up some troops)
Nothing comes to mind.
zyx

Post by zyx »

(1) Medium
(2) 1
(3) Clear
(4) Clear and interesting
(5) No defeated units.
(6) 5
(7)
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Would it be possible to get a "Nooooooo!" or something when/if Galdrad or Chantal die? Konrad has just spent decades living with them, after all...
mcv

Post by mcv »

(1) What difficulty level and Wesnoth version have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.6

8. Pretty tough, and much harder than the scenarios following this one. It was my first time playing Wesnoth, which may be a factor, but it is the first scenario of the main campaign, aimed at beginners. There's even some tutorial-like dialogue in some later scenarios, so I was quite surprised by the difficulty of this scenario.

I haven't played many scenarios yet (I just freed the mermen), but this was by far the hardest of the lot.

Not very. I mean, running to the signpost and staying alive is pretty obvious, but I also need to do it within a time limit, and nowhere does it state what that time limit is. Eventually I found an unlabeled number at the top of the screen which turned out to be the current turn/turn limit, but I think the objectives themselves need to state the time limit too. For beginners like me, it's not obvious what the turn limit is.

Storyline is okay, and it was clear what's going on, but I don't like this kind of dialogue where units on the board seem to be talking across vast distances.

Figuring out which direction to go. North seems obvious, but you get in some heavy fighting there. Also, leveling up is pretty much impossible. The Allied AI is very clever at finishing his own kills and stealing mine, and when I try to finish a kill of my own, I often end up putting units in too much risk. I have little money, few units, would like to level them up, but can't afford to lose any. I suppose the scenario would be easier if I give up on fighting and just use a few units as bodyguard and run for it.

3. It's too frustrating for an introductory scenario. Later on in the campaign, something like this (big map, 3 enemies, 2 allies) would be great. For an experienced player, it'd be an 8, but for a newbie it's just too hard, especially in comparison with the trivially easy scenarios that follow.

Put it a bit later in the campaign. Start with something simple, and make scenarios progressively harder. I was a bit disappointed that after I finally managed to finish this scenario (without leveling up anything, but also losing only one or two units), I waltzed over the next couple of scenarios with hardly any resistance.