A New Order.

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

viorc

Re: There somewhere else to get a working version?

Post by viorc »

If you run a 1.2.x version of BFW, the easiest way to go to get the campaign is through the "Get Add-ons" button in the main screen of BFW. If you run another version (1.1.x or 1.3.x) there is probably no running version of the campaign available at the moment.

This campaign server you will connect to might be down at some time. Waiting and retry later is how to deal with that situation.
Roland de Ronceveaux

Post by Roland de Ronceveaux »

Null wrote:Whenever I try to download this campaign, the download bar gets to 99% and then Wesnoth freezes. Does any one know a way to fix this problem?
I don't know if this will still help you, but I had the same problem. I just left my computer alone for a while. It stayed on 99% for about 5 or 6 minutes and then completed the download. Maybe it could do the same on your setup.
Roland de Ronceveaux

Post by Roland de Ronceveaux »

I just finished playing this campaign, and I must say that I liked it a lot.

I don't know if it currently under maintenance but it ran very cleanly under Wesnoth 1.2.5.

What I really liked: the storyline was really involving, and while some aspects were a bit clumsy (the illustrations, some of the dialogue), I felt that overall it was a mature and intriguing tale.

There were a lot of innovations too: the quest maps, the point system at the end, the branching character stories.

Also kudos for the VERY hard work done on this campaign: it is finished and major bug-free . A lot of effort went into the details and while I feel the drawings are a bit amateurish, I still appreciate the time it took to include them and they do add to the story.

Overall, congratulations on a job very well done, and I hope that with an extra polish this campaign will be included in mainline.

Roland
peet

I enjoyed this campaign a lot

Post by peet »

I just finished this campaign (finally!) and I enjoyed it greatly. I found playing the Akladians to be an interesting challenge.

After playing it a bit I went back and tweaked the campaign somewhat (my right as a Wesnoth user!). My changes allowed me to enjoy it even more. Here are some of the things I changed:
  • I gave the Akladian Holyman (the level 2 wise man) a 5-2 holy ranged attack, and the Akladian Wonderman a 12-2 holy attack. This is still weaker than other similar units but I found it frustrating that the Wiseman was so weak even at level 2 and 3. It is still virtually impossible to level up a Wiseman. However, this change did unbalance things somewhat as late in the game enemy Akladians summon a lot of Wondermen (I don't think they're supposed to). Akladian resistance to holy attacks is actually lower than their resistance to all normal weapons. I think I might weaken these attacks a bit and increase the Akladian overall resistance to holy to 40%. The whole point of the Akladians is that they have low hitpoints but strong resistance, so I don't see this as a huge problem even if it violates the normal 20% rule.
  • I gave the Akladians and the Aragwaithi traits. In the campaign I have they receive no traits at all, which puts them at a disadvantage and also makes them less interesting. Thinking it was a balancing issue I gave them 1 trait each, but in hindsight I think I would give them the full 2. Since most of your enemies are Akladians this cuts both ways; I don't think it changes play balance too much.
  • I tinkered with the AMLA abilities rather extensively. I liked the idea of the AMLA options for characters and wanted them to come up more often. Also, some of the options provided very little advantage for the effort. I also had the amount required to AMLA up increase by 25 points each time, rather than a percentage.
Anyway, hats off for a well done campaign and storyline. I went and updated the Wesnoth History page to go into greater detail regarding this campaign.

The one frustrating thing with this campaign is that the English text is often done rather badly. I'd be happy to go through and clean up the English of this campaign if there is a master file somewhere with all the English text; I don't have time to edit the files one by one.

Regards,
Peet [/list]
biren

Post by biren »

Have you considered transferring "A New Order" to bfw 1.3.9?
blanche

Great campaign

Post by blanche »

I just finished it and I think it's a great campaign.

The akladians somewhat static in appearance in my opinion, but once the story gets going it doesn't really matter anymore.

I love how the story is basically a tragedy, and that most of the characters are drawn out well enough to actually care about it.

Even though the artwork is different than normal, it grew on me, and actually the best ones somewhat reminded me of the illustrations I saw in polish (and tsechoslovakian) renderings of fairy tales; they have a very distinctive style.

As a last "bug", I'd like to mention that the "quest" of finding whoever betrayed the location of Freetown remains unsolved. I feel really compelled to get my hands on that [censored]! (that's how good the story is!)

Are there any more add-ons that feature a more mature/tragic storyline that anyone knows of ?
greenman

Poor English

Post by greenman »

Agree with the earlier commentators that the poor English spoils what's a good campaign.

Text can be found here:
http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/wescamp-i ... New_Order/
for those who want to dive in and fix it.
greenman

Spelling and grammar corrections - 10.cfg

Post by greenman »

I have to say this was a really good campaign! The poor English is a big negative though. I've posted corrections on the forums for other campaigns, and I'll do the same here. It's quite time-consuming with this campaign, as there are lot's of errors. Let me know if this works for the maintainers, and I'll look for corrections for the other scenarios too.

10.cfg

Code: Select all

[message]
                        type=Aragwaith Archer,Aragwaith hunter,Aragwaith Spearman,Aragwaith Swordman,Aragwaith Guard,Aragwaith Pikeman,Akladian Warrior,Akladian Clanmember,Akladian Wiseman,Akladian Holyman,Aragwaith Longswordsman
                        message=_"Run for you life! They are too many of them!!"
                [/message]
should read (your, There)

[message]
                        type=Aragwaith Archer,Aragwaith hunter,Aragwaith Spearman,Aragwaith Swordman,Aragwaith Guard,Aragwaith Pikeman,Akladian Warrior,Akladian Clanmember,Akladian Wiseman,Akladian Holyman,Aragwaith Longswordsman
                        message=_"Run for your life! There are too many of them!!"
                [/message]

[part]
                        story=_"Inside the castle of Haeltin, Lorin have found large quantities of food, as well as arrows and weapons. It seemed like the castle owners were expecting a huge army to come."
                        background=story_images/story_haeltin_zapasy.png
                [/part]
should read (have->'', as if, the arrival)

[part]
                        story=_"Inside the castle of Haeltin, Lorin found large quantities of food, as well as arrows and weapons. It seemed as if the castle owners were expecting the arrival of a huge army."
                        background=story_images/story_haeltin_zapasy.png
                [/part]

[part]
                        story=_"Lorin ordered the castle to be prepared for defense. Men had worked day and night, while first snowflakes were melting on their bodies. She worked with them too, as hard as if she wanted to prove that she is as good as men. Or as if she wanted to be too tired to have time for bringing back memories."
                [/part]
should read:

[part]
                        story=_"Lorin ordered the castle to be prepared for defense. Men worked day and night, with the first snowflakes melting on their bodies. She worked with them, working hard as if she wanted to prove she was equal to the men. Or perhaps she wanted to forget her memories."
                [/part]

{MESSAGE_IMG (Andrey Yaranov) (_"My Lady, the defenses are ready. I ordered a moat dug out in the north, we also put some new fortifications in place, but they are not finished.") (portraits/yaranov.png)}
                {MSGLORINW  (_"We have no time to finish it. They are already here. Faster, move the supplies to hideout in mountains, so even if they reach the keep they won't find anything.")}
should read:

{MESSAGE_IMG (Andrey Yaranov) (_"My Lady, the defenses are ready. I ordered a moat dug out in the north. We also put new fortifications in place, but they are not finished.") (portraits/yaranov.png)}
                {MSGLORINW  (_"We have no time to finish them. The enemy is already here. We need to move the supplies to the hideout in the mountains quickly, so that even if they reach the keep they won't find anything.")}

{MESSAGE (Raole Mathauri) (_"Brother! Where are you? Why do you keep gates of Haeltin closed?")}
should read:

{MESSAGE (Raole Mathauri) (_"Brother! Where are you? Why are the gates of Haeltin closed?")}

{MESSAGE (Yarl Urluf) (_"Enough of this chit-chat! We are out of supplies and we are hungry. Soldiers! Your food is inside of this castle. Get them!")}
should read:

{MESSAGE (Yarl Urluf) (_"Enough of this chit-chat! We are out of supplies and we are hungry. Soldiers! Your food is inside the castle. Get them!")}

{MESSAGE_IMG (Reumario) (_"We should sacrifise an ox to God. There are too many of them, without God's help we won't be able to defeat them.") (portraits/reumario.png)}
should read:

{MESSAGE_IMG (Reumario) (_"We should sacrifice an ox to God. There are too many of them. Without God's help we won't be able to defeat them.") (portraits/reumario.png)}

{MESSAGE_IMG (Andrey Yaranov) (_"We do not have to defeat them, luckily. They are not prepared for a long siege, so it would be enough to survive initial onslaught. Then, they will have to withdraw, because they will have no food.") (portraits/yaranov_winter.png)}
                {MESSAGE_IMG (Andrey Yaranov) (_"Lady Lorin, I know your habit of interrogating enemy leaders. Please, take my advice, if you must, ignore the orcs, they do not look intelligent enough to give sensible answers.") (portraits/yaranov_winter.png)}
                {MSGLORINW (_"Move the supplies to the mountains. That way, even if they break into the castle, they still will have no food.")}
should read:

{MESSAGE_IMG (Andrey Yaranov) (_"We do not have to defeat them, luckily. They are not prepared for a long siege, so it would be enough to survive the initial onslaught. Then, they will have to withdraw, because they will have no food.") (portraits/yaranov_winter.png)}
                {MESSAGE_IMG (Andrey Yaranov) (_"Lady Lorin, I know your habit of interrogating enemy leaders. Please, take my advice and ignore the orcs. They do not look intelligent enough to give sensible answers.") (portraits/yaranov_winter.png)}
                {MSGLORINW (_"Move the supplies to the mountains. That way, even if they break into the castle, they'll still have no food.")}

{MSGLORINW  (_"What Orcs are doing here anyway, and why are they allied with you?")}
should read

{MSGLORINW  (_"What are the Orcs are doing here anyway, and why are they allied with you?")}

{MESSAGE (Raole Mathauri) (_"They will help us purify our race. We will go and kill every one who is unworthy of being Akladian. Those, who violated our customs, who are friends of the underlings, those who have offended our God by marrying them. Only then God will again be fond of us and he will reward us with completing of our conquest of Wesnoth and the whole world.")}
should read:

{MESSAGE (Raole Mathauri) (_"They will help us purify our race. We will go and kill every one who is unworthy of being Akladian. Those who have violated our customs, who are friends of the underlings, or who have offended our God by marrying them. Only then will  God again favor us and reward us by helping us conquer Wesnoth, and the whole world.")}

{MESSAGE_IMG (Andrey Yaranov) (_"This was incredibly difficult. I was sure this would be the last day of my life.") (portraits/yaranov_winter.png)}
                {MESSAGE_IMG (Andrey Yaranov) (_"Lorin, did you heard how our people are calling you? A she-wolf. She-wolf of Haeltin.") (portraits/yaranov_winter.png)}
                {MSGLORINW  (_"LADY Lorin. So? Do they expect me to howl or something?")}
                {MESSAGE_IMG (Andrey Yaranov) (_"Lorin, if you would only gave me a chance, I would make you howl.") (portraits/yaranov_winter.png)}
                {MSGLORINW  (_"Listen underling, the only thing which stops me from taking your life away after hearing such remark is that I still need you. But you are dangerously close to the line, so..")}
                {MESSAGE_IMG (Andrey Yaranov) (_"You said you need me?") (portraits/yaranov_winter.png)}
                {MSGLORINW  (_"Oh my God. It's worse than I thought.")}
                {MESSAGE_IMG (Andrey Yaranov) (_"What do you mean?") (portraits/yaranov_winter.png)}
                {MSGLORINW  (_"You forgot to say that 'one more reference to underling and I'm leaving'. Listen, Yaranov: I had noticed how you had been looking at me. At first, I couldn't guess what it meant. I am not used to such kind of glances. I can easily recognise hatred, despise, disdain. But this... ")}
                {MSGLORINW  (_"Listen carefully. Do not have any hope. Do not try anything. First, I am Akladian and you are not. Second, I am a bad woman. You have no idea how bad. Avoid me. Third, you are not my type. Fourth, there are some Akladian customs of which you are seemingly unaware. Let's make a deal: I will not call you underling, and you will call me Lady Lorin. Agreed?")}
                {MESSAGE_IMG (Andrey Yaranov) (_"Lady Lorin it is then. Or maybe I could call you she-wolf, sometimes? She-wolf of Haeltin. In exchange, you could call me Andrey.") (portraits/yaranov_winter.png)}
                {MSGLORINW  (_"Whatever. Go to your people, see what they need. I will check our wounded.")}
should read:

{MESSAGE_IMG (Andrey Yaranov) (_"This was incredibly difficult. I was sure this would be the last day of my life.") (portraits/yaranov_winter.png)}
                {MESSAGE_IMG (Andrey Yaranov) (_"Lorin, did you hear what our people are calling you? A she-wolf. She-wolf of Haeltin.") (portraits/yaranov_winter.png)}
                {MSGLORINW  (_"LADY Lorin. So? Do they expect me to howl or something?")}
                {MESSAGE_IMG (Andrey Yaranov) (_"Lorin, if you would only give me a chance, I would make you howl.") (portraits/yaranov_winter.png)}
                {MSGLORINW  (_"Listen underling, the only thing which stops me from taking your life after hearing such a remark is that I still need you. But you are dangerously close to the line, so..")}
                {MESSAGE_IMG (Andrey Yaranov) (_"You said you need me?") (portraits/yaranov_winter.png)}
                {MSGLORINW  (_"Oh my God. It's worse than I thought.")}
                {MESSAGE_IMG (Andrey Yaranov) (_"What do you mean?") (portraits/yaranov_winter.png)}
                {MSGLORINW  (_"You forgot to say 'one more reference to underling and I'm leaving'. Listen, Yaranov: I've noticed how you've been looking at me. At first, I couldn't guess what it meant. I am not used to such glances. I can easily recognize hatred, despisal, disdain. But this... ")}
                {MSGLORINW  (_"Listen carefully. Do not have any hope. Do not try anything. Firstly, I am Akladian and you are not. Secondly, I am an evil woman. You have no idea how evil. Avoid me. Thirdly, you are not my type. Fourthly, there are some Akladian customs of which you are seemingly unaware. Let's make a deal: I will not call you underling, and you will call me Lady Lorin. Agreed?")}
                {MESSAGE_IMG (Andrey Yaranov) (_"Lady Lorin it is then. Or maybe I could call you she-wolf, sometimes? She-wolf of Haeltin. In exchange, you could call me Andrey.") (portraits/yaranov_winter.png)}
                {MSGLORINW  (_"Whatever. Go to your people, see what they need. I will check our wounded.")}
torangan
Retired Developer

Re: A New Order.

Post by torangan »

As 1.4 is out know I'd like all campaign on WesCamp-i18n to move over to the new scheme as described here: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18675

This campaign is one of those which should move, I'll merge the old translations of course.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Geos

Post by Geos »

I just started to play this Campaign, and I'm liking it. Is definitely more mature and interesting than the other, even if it needs a lot of work in the art part yet (animations, music...). If I move to Wenoth 1.4, will I be able to play?
By the way, I'm playing in easy and still find it quite hard. I know it should be trivial, but, after the battle of Barnon, is just too hard. I have to spend all my gold to survive the battle, and then I leave the next scenario without any gold (just a hundred), and only three good units I made it to survive, nothing to do against orcs and trolls...
I don't know, maybe I should be getting more experience before...
Will keep on trying. Anyway, congragulations for a fantastic campaign.
That's ridiculous, dragons have no windows...
Cara_70129

Post by Cara_70129 »

Okay, so far it''s a great campaign. I'm in scouting right after saving Reme and I can't do anything more and I can't go back to freetown. No I didn't interrogate the orc leader and I've done everything else I can think of. Um what do I do next?
nataS

Post by nataS »

Where can this be downloaded? There is a link in the first post of the topic (but down).
szopen

Post by szopen »

1) The campaign may be downloaded directly within proper version of Wesnoth or via wesnoth web interface
http://wolff.to/campaigns/list.html

2) To find out about Orcs you have to either go to Barnon and interrogate Orcish leader (exactly as it's put in objectives), OR interrogate Orcs in Bontom, OR interrogate orcs in "avenging ruen" scenario. If you failed to interrogate the orcs in all three of those scenarios, well, then you have to edit savegame and change the value of ano_found_news_orcs to "yes".

3) Current maintainer is viorc. He is doing great job, but remember - maintaining a campaign and porting it to new wesnoth version is helluva of job. If viorc is tired of the task, I may took over again in some time in future, or you may volunteer to the task.
"Even when the Slav is gay the effort is often evident" -- P. R. RADOSAVLJEVICH
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

szopen wrote:3) Current maintainer is viorc. He is doing great job, but remember - maintaining a campaign and porting it to new wesnoth version is helluva of job.
That was before ESR provided us with wmllint which does most of the job automatically.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
szopen

Post by szopen »

torangan wrote:
szopen wrote:3) Current maintainer is viorc. He is doing great job, but remember - maintaining a campaign and porting it to new wesnoth version is helluva of job.
That was before ESR provided us with wmllint which does most of the job automatically.
By ESR, do you mean THAT ESR? He does code in Wesnoth?
Anyway, I am working on my PhD, and I just missed a deadline, but IF (and that's a big IF) I'll finish it, I'll surely take a look on that (provided viorc won't do that earlier)
"Even when the Slav is gay the effort is often evident" -- P. R. RADOSAVLJEVICH