1v1 Replays! (THE ARCHIVE)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

chameleon_effect

chameleon_effect discusses strategy on Den of Onis

Post by chameleon_effect »

In this game, Northerners (Checkers aka chameleon_effect) vs. Loyalists (ylemson), at Den of Onis, chameleon critically demonstrates and discusses strategy in Wesnoth. Hopefully, both chat and move logs should reveal further insight into Wesnoth strategy for both hardened veteran and newbie alike.
Attachments
2p_-_Den_of_Onis_Turn_15.gz
General Strategy discussion. Den of Onis. Northerner v.s. Loyalist.
(36.35 KiB) Downloaded 486 times
tsr

Re: 1v1 Replays! (THE ARCHIVE)

Post by tsr »

I need to watch this replay myself, to learn. Thanks for a wonderful game Gallifax!

/tsr
Attachments
2p_-_Weldyn_Channel_Drag_65.gz
A very long game (65 turns) with tsr (p1 - rebels) vs. Gallifax (p2 - Loyalists) on Weldyn channel for version 1.4.
(78.66 KiB) Downloaded 449 times
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Re: chameleon_effect discusses strategy on Den of Onis

Post by Doc Paterson »

chameleon_effect wrote:In this game, Northerners (Checkers aka chameleon_effect) vs. Loyalists (ylemson), at Den of Onis, chameleon critically demonstrates and discusses strategy in Wesnoth. Hopefully, both chat and move logs should reveal further insight into Wesnoth strategy for both hardened veteran and newbie alike.
I think "hardened veterans" are already aware that this playstyle works poorly against other "hardened veterans."

I'm not trying to be offensive here; just giving you my honest opinion- I've never seen you pull this off (keeping your leader away from his keep, way downfield, for 8+ turns) against an experienced player. Maybe you have, and if you have, I think we'd all like to see the replays. My only recent memory of you trying this was against Duthlet, when you lost back to back games, one on turn 4, the other on turn 12. I disagree with most of the in-game dialogue as well, but I don't think it's worth going into now.

TOC4 would be a good oportunity to try to collect such replays. ;)

It's coming soon......
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

I haven't played a 1v1 in a long time (my replay posted here previously was my last 1v1), and this was only my 2nd Caves of the Basilisk game ever.

This is a Loy vs Ud game, with me as Ud. I think I won this game when my opponent decided to sacrifice units to steal villages at night on the western flank, while he also failed to adequately retreat at dusk by attacking me when I advanced at evening; bad idea with DA's and skellies waiting to pounce for the next 2 turns. Points:

1) Despite some village steals (which I intentionally allowed as it was night anyway) on the left flank, it did not bring any significant change as it helped me achieve superiority in numbers on that side, leading to a successful push when night finally came. Considering that my opponent decided not to push more units to that side anyway, I felt that it was a mistake.

2) What was interesting here is that my opponent recruited what many would regard as an "optimal" spam against Ud after knowing my faction; full of mages and HI's (impact and fire). The main problem here is that such units are easily countered by DA's and skellies at night. With my opponent not actually "attacking" me at day (as I readily retreated out of range), such offensive units were eventually used more for (active) defense which is a waste of gold, as the ToD was becoming more favorable for me. And with a ghoul acting as primary unit+damage soaker, I was able to actually attain the "initiative" despite him actually attacking first as my main offensive units were not sufficiently killed at dusk. Nothing beats a more balanced recruit, allowing more flexibility in offense and defense. I felt that him losing his cav's early was a big disadvantage, as it has a balanced resistance against both blade and cold (for which I did counter-recruit).

3) A few days, ago, a new player to MP asserted that you shouldn't retreat at opposite ToD as you would lose villages and gold, and instead to hold position to defend one's villages and soak up the damage. This was countered by 1 of the veteran players by asserting that the benefit of preserving the units would be much greater than the benefit to one's gold. This replay shows me regularly leaving the NE village for player 2 at day, saving myself units for a good advance at dusk->1st watch, hopefully showing the logic of this strategy. A balance has to be reached though, leaving villages for Northeners would be more disadvantageous as it would allow more spamming of units; choose accordingly to the level of risk.

Do correctly me if I'm wrong with my self analysis of this game. There were probably many silly mistakes (not ranging a HI next to an archer was 1; it was 3:30 AM :P ), and I don't mind them pointed out. I'm thinking of using this replay to jumpstart a Caves of the Basilisk thread for discussions regarding the strategies involved on this map.

P.S. Doc: Any estimate dates? :) I hope I'm free during the time to watch so many high-level games live.

EDIT: Here's another 1v1 that I just played, Ud vs Knal (me as side 2) on Weldyn Channel. One problem with early game rushes is that there are a low number of units relatively, and any problems with lost units will hurt badly. The opponent will also have an easier time to counter, as in general the nearer to the keep, the easier to reinforce things, accentuating the problem with lost units. Here my opponent overextends into my NW village on the left flank at 2nd watch, followed by an instant devastating counter and gg at dawn.

P.S. Does anybody have a good replay showing Knalgans winning against Northeners? I'd like to take a look and learn more about this matchup. Thanks. Never mind...This one was great for me to look at again and again.
Attachments
Very_Short_Game.gz
Weldyn Channel, 1.4.0
Ud vs Kn(v), me as side 2.
(21.88 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
2p_-_Caves_of_the_Basilisk,_Loy_vs_Ud.gz
Me as side 2.

(122.05 KiB) Downloaded 448 times
Last edited by anakayub on April 6th, 2008, 7:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
Take a breath.
Weeksy

Re: chameleon_effect discusses strategy on Den of Onis

Post by Weeksy »

chameleon_effect wrote:In this game, Northerners (Checkers aka chameleon_effect) vs. Loyalists (ylemson), at Den of Onis, chameleon critically demonstrates and discusses strategy in Wesnoth. Hopefully, both chat and move logs should reveal further insight into Wesnoth strategy for both hardened veteran and newbie alike.
If his mage hadn't attacked your leader, and just left you ZOC'd, there's a good chance he'd have won right there.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
morphine

Post by morphine »

(L) ladder.subversiva.org (morphine vs Drudares)

The game is Loyalists (me) vs Rebels on Hamlets. Besides the fun factor of an aggressive game, it should be interesting, at least for beginners, to see how to take advantage of position, to divide and move your opponent army to your advantage (and punish him if he doesn't do so).

In the middle of a frontal attack at day (turn 9), I forget about the timer and don't play half of my moves, the last moves to close the line and take position on the right side. This failed attack, initially meant as a hit and run attack while breaking into his territory on the right side, turned the game into a real blood bath. Stats are more or less even, with a few lucky streaks on both sides. Game is 40 turns long and there are 55 deaths in total :)
Attachments
08-04-04_morphine_vs_Drudares.gz
(34.21 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
siowy

Post by siowy »

me(northerners) versus tdw_niborelf(rebels) on weldyn channel

deadlock on the sides turns into a water fight in centre.
Attachments
northerners_win_elves.gz
(16.43 KiB) Downloaded 383 times
i play as foreverfighter on official server and ladder
leocrotta

Post by leocrotta »

Time for some replay-package. :)
match#1: me vs kenshin: elves vs northerners. I felt like we were playing good old charge. those orcs were really willing to rush straight through. I guess a rush over the sides might have been more problematic for me.
match#2: me vs morphine: undead with minor wc-usage vs loys with minor horse-usage, that could be the result.
match#3: me vs 13ismitch: (new) undead vs (new) undead. while the old 1.2 mirror could have resulted in stalemates due to a lack of attack potential this replay shows the opposite:
stalemate due to being afraid of the high attack potential of the enemy. we both thought any attack (failure) could have screwed the game. maybe we were wrong.

have fun watching and best regards
Attachments
myself_vs_kenshin.gz
charge != freelands
(15.07 KiB) Downloaded 380 times
nani_vs_morphine.gz
simple ud vs loy
(25.7 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
leocrotta_vs_13ismitch.gz
nominated for the mini-map art award 2008 ;)
(14.67 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
Maboul

Post by Maboul »

Play for fun, level up a shadow (wraiths are so boring :wink: )
Attachments
2p_-_Caves_of_the_Basilisk_UD_vs_elves.gz
undeads vs elves
(37.58 KiB) Downloaded 379 times
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Drakes over Undead, playing on Weldyn Channel. Stable version 1.4.1.
Attachments
REPLAY_drakes_vs_UD.gz
(40.7 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Caves of the Basilisk on 1.4.1, Drakes vs Rebels (me).

Don't be fooled, as I played poorly as I keep on trying to adapt to playing with a timer. Not to mention annoying distractions (my computer even crashed in-game). :augh:

My drake-dominant opponent decided to engage me at 2nd watch, which led to an opportunistic leader kill at dawn.
Attachments
Caves_of_the_Basilisk_-_xiaomin_(D)_vs_anakayub_(v)_(R).gz
(89.23 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
Take a breath.
leocrotta

Post by leocrotta »

Due to HauntedDream's request I hereby post a rather short replay.
Lady Luck was put into question slightly, therefore I thought a simple stats sketch from
my point of view will do. :)

best regards.
Attachments
leocrotta_vs_HauntedDream.gz
v. BfW 1.4.1 replay - northerners vs loyalists
(9.02 KiB) Downloaded 367 times
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Computer_Player »

Drakes vs Loyalists in Weldyn Channel (stable ver 1.4.1)

Ladder game of Elvenking vs Computer_Player
featuring some unorthodox loyalist plays 8)
Attachments
Failed_Plan.gz
Unfortunately I lost =)
(19.67 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Underpowered Drakes (Paterson) vs. Overpowered Elves (Seraph).

14 turns on Fallenstar Lake.
Attachments
2p_-_Fallenstar_Lake_Turn_14.gz
(44.73 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
suokko
Inactive Developer

Post by suokko »

Caves of the Basilisk on 1.4.1, nothners (me) vs loyals (maboul)

I played very passive in begin. Maybe too passive and then needed to take big chances to take back the lost advantage.

Battle was over when mabouls kill on my leader with well over 50 % ctk failed. (estimeted compinate chance)

In end I let AIs battle over domination.
Attachments
2p_-_Caves_of_the_Basilisk_replay.gz
(42.79 KiB) Downloaded 356 times