The High Seas (Naval MP Scenario)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mabuse

Re: The High Seas (Naval MP Scenario)

Post by Mabuse »

ok, here it is:

The current up to date
The High Seas: Naval Battle ModV3.0
HI !

The High Seas Naval Battle Version 3.0

Simply extract the Files in this Archive into your ...\Wesnoth 1.4\userdata\data\campaigns - Folder, and restart Wesnoth
HF

Changes contain:
--------------------------

- buy Frigates at Shipyard (cost 100 Gold, 100HP, 8-5 ranged Impact, 20-1 ranged pierce, 9 Movement)
- buy Galleons at Shipyard (cost 250 Gold, 120HP, 10-8 ranged Impact, 6-4 ranged pierce, 10 Movement)
these Ships cannot be boarded and cannot carry Cargo
- buy Transport Ship at Shipyard (cost 50 Gold, 80HP, 10-2 ranged Pierce, 8 Movement)
the Transport Ship can be boarded, it CANNOT carry Crgo, and you can have only one at a Time
(it can be also boarded by Enemies, and also Flying AI Units or Pirates)

- Leader can buy Frigates/Galleons at Shipyard
- Leader can buy a new Flag-Ship with all former Upgrades to your Fleet in Case you lost your FlagShip for 250 Gold
- Leader can buy Transport Ship at Shipyard (cost 50 Gold, 80HP, 10-2 ranged Pierce, 8 Movement)
the Transport Ship can be boarded, it CANNOT carry Cargo, and you can have only one at a Time

- Leader can buy Transport Ship at TradingPort (cost 50 Gold, 80HP, 10-2 ranged Pierce, 8 Movement)
the Transport Ship can be boarded, it CANNOT carry Cargo, and you can have only one at a Time

- if Leader dies, you may select a new Unit as a Leader (by right clicking it and chose "Make New Captain")
as long you have a FlagShip and as long the Unit is at least at Level 2

- Slave Net is no longer available, instead 2 Slavemarkets were added, one is in Ramar,
and the other is in Uridad, a complete new City to plunder and occupy !
To be able to transport Slaves you have to buy a Slavecage in the Shipyard

- Pirate Ship got a 10-2 ranged attack, and board 2 Fencers now

- 3 Temples are available, there are now 3 Temples on the Map, one in North, one in South and one in the West
They are well guarded and provide 1000 Gold cash on Hand if raided

- 2 Forts are available, one in North and one in South
They are medium/low guarded and provide 300 Gold cash on Hand if raided

- Banks provide 500 Gold cash on Hand if raided

- more Settings for Games with Higher Victory Points, since 50 Points can be reached pretty quickly
(recommended is 100 to 200)

- Villages provide 1 Gold income
(which is helpful, but still Raids and Trading are main Income Source)
note here: Goods can be only carried by a Flagship, so this is most important,
if Flagship is sunk, you can only raid Temples, Forts and Banks for better income
(and then buy a new one)

- slighty toned down Price development for Goods. Still very good Profits can be made.

If you look for High Profits sell at:
Rum: Frodom, Alsom, Slatham
Jewels: Quati, Negal, Ramar
Spice: ----
Slaves: Frodom, Alsom

If you look for Medium Profits sell at:
Rum: Trutt, Ravin
Jewels: Wurdle, Mandor, Ganton, Uridad
Spice: Quati, Negal, Frodom
Slaves: Slatham, Ravin

all other is exspected to be low Profit for the certain Resources

Buy here (Production Plants):
Rum: Quati, Negal
Jewels: Frodom, Slatham
Spice: Wurdle, Trutt
Slaves: Ramar, Uridad

Locations with Production Plants are "below low" Profit for that Resource that is produced there.

so for example around Turn 25 you can exspect to sell your Rum for around 75 Gold per Barrel in Slatham
which makes an income of 1200 Gold if you sell 16 Barrels (well, not exactly, since the price will drop by two per barrel sold, but still its impressive)

- Prices for other Equipment dropped a bit. Some Stuff is very useful, so check it out.
And dont forget to buy additional Cargo-Space for the certain resource if you wanna raid something ;)

HF with this nice Game from Bob the Mighty
Attachments
The_High_Seas_Naval_BattleV3.zip
(50.07 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

ok, update:

- nitrobomb cut out, i never used this thing - but in the last game it crashed the game, and then i remembered what others told me in this thread -lol

of course with the nitro bomb the game is unplayable.

hehe, btw, transportship worked fine and already saved my ass
Attachments
(49.8 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

small update -
all labels refresh in case someone deletes them
Attachments
(49.79 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
ylmson

Post by ylmson »

A complete replay of a full 200-point battle using the mod, with red winning a sweating victory. Distinct early strategies were adopted by different sides, with varying outcomes. The ability to re-purchase flagship gave life to otherwise dead leaders. Lots of maneuvering, deception, conflict and drama throughout the game. The fact that sea units can't see land and land units can't see over sea adds a very interesting element (which also calls for great scouting needs in the game). Lots of comments and improvements are also discussed in the chat messages. I recommend Bob to take a good look at this and incorporate some of the mod changes back into the official map. Also, thumbs up to Bob for the creation of perhaps one of the most engaging MP scenario ever, both for playing and watching! 8) Also a lot of thanks to Mabuse for the mod! :eng:
Attachments
The_High_Seas_Naval_Battle..._replay.gz
Full epic sea battle under the HighSeasNavalBattleV3 mod. Wesnoth V1.4.
(191.89 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
"You may draw, even if you are no artist, and all you have is mspaint and a touchpad."
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

hehe, unfortuanately the replay is broken (at least it doesnt work for me (neither my save))

however, i had some slightest changes in my mind:

- put a Barracks or Tavern on Ravin
(to make the player being able to finish the Temple raid if being repelled and also very important - make a player that attacks Frodom able to recruit LANDUnits near Frodom for a possible LandInvasion, since Frodom has a very good Sea Defence Position)

- maybe add some diversity among the unit types that can be recruited in Taverns and barracks

thats just some quick changes -

- i also wanted to make a second level in gaol (below the prison), where an "evil creature" resides, which can also be defeated (because, as we all know, the MOWs send away from GAOL work together with Pirates and SeaMonsters - a fact that irritated many Players - this is because of an ancient Evil, which send out its Minions, below Estiban Gaol - any Player who finds out and defeates the Evil is of course rewarded with a big Bunch of Victory Points ;) ... but be sure it will be very hard

- and maybe add some more Forts (and in the inside of a Fort there may be also a training dummy) just to encourage players to leave a small garrison there (which may get Elite over Time)

- i MAY also position the Enemies in the original raiding Sites a bit different, the enemies wil stay the same, maybe their position ans stance (offensive/defensive) may change

- last but not least in wanted to add a "Rumor"-Option in Markets, like "Find out newest Rumors about Frodom" that cost 10g (or more/less - maybe 15) and if you buy it the Town Area of Frodom is revealed (for that player) until end of turn, so the player can
see what is happening in Frodom, who is there, how strong the units are and such
Truper

Post by Truper »

One suggestion I would like to make is that it should take having at least 1 movement point remaining to be able to board a ship. Otherwise, crews can debark, attack an enemy ship, and embark all in the same round.

An alternate suggestion is to give a melee attack to ships which currently lack one.

This is intended to prevent a crew from beating an enemy frigate to death, without the frigate ever being able to reply.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus."

Sure. But in that case, they had damned well better be called Venusians, and not Elves, Undead, or anything else.
Slann

Post by Slann »

Truper wrote:One suggestion I would like to make is that it should take having at least 1 movement point remaining to be able to board a ship. Otherwise, crews can debark, attack an enemy ship, and embark all in the same round.

An alternate suggestion is to give a melee attack to ships which currently lack one.

This is intended to prevent a crew from beating an enemy frigate to death, without the frigate ever being able to reply.
or change the resistance of ships... :cry:

The fort is a great idea. Please, make it.

Im afraid about your pirate's update. Ill see how it work.

One thing, dont creat too much temples, houses, etc... Is better has a few citys than many. More difficult to localizate other players.

At last but not least, on the originarl version, when a players move, if you leave the mouse, the screen moves to the players's position (this would [censored] your rumor system). Have you fixed it)
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Truper wrote:One suggestion I would like to make is that it should take having at least 1 movement point remaining to be able to board a ship. Otherwise, crews can debark, attack an enemy ship, and embark all in the same round.

hmm, interesting point.

First all all: i welcome it, also to be able to use melee units in seafight, as it represents some kind of boarding.

WITHOUT extra gangplank, the number of these attacks is limited to 2
WITH extra Gangplank the number of these attacks is basically not limited, except the fact that after the 14th attack the atatckers will be "teleported into the void" on a hex which they cant leave anymore (becasue it is sourrounded by other void) - these can be ssen as natural losses

still, having elite troops onboard this can be very effective - i admit

knowing this, we can assume that extra gangplank is a huge Upgrade, so i will make it significantly more expensive (i think about 75 or 100gold), and if your enemy has a galleon with this upgrade be preapred that he will "board" your ships (which will be in game someting like beating it to death)

also i may fit all ships (except flag ship) with a ram spike which makes 15-1 damage (+charge, which is insignificant on defense though), so the attacking units may get wounded also (or better said Frigates get a ram attack with 5-4 impact damage by default, Galleons get 6-4, Transport Ship gets 4-4, Ramspike (to buy for flagship) will become a 15-2 melee charge peirce)

thats all i can do about it, having 10 Heavy Infantry onboard is also a cost of 190gold+upkeep, so it should be allowed to use them in Battle.

the resistances will not change (i guess they have already resistance (+40% blade and +40% pierce, +0 impact, -20% fire, +20% cold, +80% Arcane), and the ability to be able to do that (with extra gangplank) will also not be restricted

but thanks for telling me - i smell a slight imbalance here

so i really think that extra gangplank will be much more expensive, rampike for flagship can be cheaper, and i will add a ram attack to all ships be default, so that attacking units get at least hurt (so they cant do that unlimited dureing a fight)

thats all i can do about, if you fit your ship with a crew of impact units, the may destroy 1 or 2 ships (depending how good they are finally - imagine lvl 2 or 3 heavy infantry/thugs) - so be careful about enemy flagships, you may never know whats inside ;)
Last edited by Mabuse on April 5th, 2008, 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

i will do that change immediatly, as well as adding two new forts and a second level for Estiban Gaol
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

btw, as a counter srategy i recommend to do the same (put a resonable amount of impactmeleefighters into your flagship, but NOT the leader)

and if an enemy does excactly just that (you of course stay out of range with your flagship, but as near that you can react (= a bit behind oyur ships)

juyt try to get into a good position near enemy flagship to do that (unit will always spawn on top of the ship, after that around the ship in the next free hex (you may also unload as long you get to the desired hex), then beat it to death (or woud it critically) and then finish it off with your own flaghsip -

all enemy crew is dead, if he was even stupid enough to put his leader onboard his leader will then also swim in the seas.

so you can counter it, the difficulty will be if your oppoent blicks the path to his flagship with his own frigates, so could you also do of course -

welcome to the tactical world of seafighting, i think with the ability of frigates and galleons to fight a bit back this will get a bit limited, since his units will also get damage (of course a full potion cabinet wil also help here (and i may make it more expensive also again :p)

also extra gangplank will now cost 75 to 100 gold, so its also much more expensive now
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

hehe, and of course ai ships also get ram attack ;)

per 20 HP the damage wil be raixsed by 1, number of attacks is always 4

so a frigate has 5-4 (100HP), a galleon has 6-4(120HP), transport ship has 4-4 (80hp), Man o War has 9-4 (180 HP), Pirate ship 6-4 (120hp)

although i am not sure about the pirate ship ;) - maybe i increase his boarding attack to 6-4 or soemthing - or 25-1 or soemthing ;) -so that it still uses boarding
Slann

Post by Slann »

and what about the team game??? :mrgreen:

one question, you cant change the map to make it bigger??, you could put more localizations, and create your forts :wink:
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Slann wrote: one question, you cant change the map to make it bigger??, you could put more localizations, and create your forts :wink:
i can (and i already did). thats no problem, the map can be made bigger without touching anything else of the Map.
The ship and such already got their new attcks, unfortuanately i didnt had time to implement the 2 new Forts and the extra Level below estiban gaol yet. i will try to make that today

.. and as mentioned, i think then the limit of what makes sense is reached, im not ging to make the MAINMAP itself bigger - maybe i add a 4th bank though, as we already have the place for it on the Map

The Main Map is good as it is, imo ;)
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

updated

V4:
The High Seas Naval Battle Version 4.0

Simply extract the Files in this Archive into your ...\Wesnoth 1.4\userdata\data\campaigns - Folder, and restart Wesnoth
HF

Changes contain:
--------------------------

- buy Frigates at Shipyard (cost 100 Gold, 100HP, 8-5 ranged Impact, 20-1 ranged pierce, 9 Movement)
- buy Galleons at Shipyard (cost 250 Gold, 120HP, 10-8 ranged Impact, 6-4 ranged pierce, 10 Movement)
these Ships cannot be boarded and cannot carry Cargo
- buy Transport Ship at Shipyard (cost 50 Gold, 80HP, 10-2 ranged Pierce, 8 Movement)
the Transport Ship can be boarded, it CANNOT carry Crgo, and you can have only one at a Time

- Leader can buy Frigates/Galleons at Shipyard
- Leader can buy a new Flag-Ship with all former Upgrades to your Fleet in Case you lost your FlagShip for 250 Gold
- Leader can buy Transport Ship at Shipyard (cost 50 Gold, 80HP, 10-2 ranged Pierce, 8 Movement)

- Leader can buy Transport Ship at TradingPort (cost 50 Gold, 80HP, 10-2 ranged Pierce, 8 Movement)

- if Leader dies, you may select a new Unit as a Leader (by right clicking it and chose "Make New Captain")
as long you have a FlagShip and as long the Unit is at least at Level 2

- Slave Net is no longer available, instead 2 Slavemarkets were added, one is in Ramar,
and the other is in Uridad, a complete new City to plunder and occupy !
To be able to transport Slaves you have to buy a Slavecage in the Shipyard

- Pirate Ship got a 10-2 ranged attack, and board 2 Fencers now

- 3 Temples are available, there are now 3 Temples on the Map, one in North, one in South and one in the West
They are well guarded and provide 1000 Gold cash on Hand if raided

- 4 Forts are available, two in North and two in South
They are medium/low guarded and provide 300 Gold cash on Hand if raided and contain a practice dummy

- all Ships have a RAM Attack now (melee)

- Ram Spike makes double damage (+1 strike)

- additional Gangplank cost 75 Gold now

- entry for Transport Ship fixed (behind Gangplank now)

- Banks provide 500 Gold cash on Hand if raided

- slight changes for Estiban Gaol

- more Settings for Games with Higher Victory Points, since 50 Points can be reached pretty quickly
(recommended is 100 to 200)

- Villages provide 1 Gold income
(which is helpful, but still Raids and Trading are main Income Source)
note here: Goods can be only carried by a Flagship, so this is most important,
if Flagship is sunk, you can only raid Temples, Forts and Banks for better income
(and then buy a new one)

- slighty toned down Price development for Goods. Still very good Profits can be made.

If you look for High Profits sell at:
Rum: Frodom, Alsom, Slatham
Jewels: Quati, Negal, Ramar
Spice: ----
Slaves: Frodom, Alsom

If you look for Medium Profits sell at:
Rum: Trutt, Ravin
Jewels: Wurdle, Mandor, Ganton, Uridad
Spice: Quati, Negal, Frodom
Slaves: Slatham, Ravin

all other is exspected to be low Profit for the certain Resources

Buy here (Production Plants):
Rum: Quati, Negal
Jewels: Frodom, Slatham
Spice: Wurdle, Trutt
Slaves: Ramar, Uridad

Locations with Production Plants are "below low" Profit for that Resource that is produced there.

so for example around Turn 25 you can exspect to sell your Rum for around 75 Gold per Barrel in Slatham
which makes an income of 1200 Gold if you sell 16 Barrels (well, not exactly, since the price will drop by two per barrel sold, but still its impressive)

- Prices for other Equipment dropped a bit. Some Stuff is very useful, so check it out.
And dont forget to buy additional Cargo-Space for the certain resource if you wanna raid something ;)

HF with this nice Game from Bob the Mighty
Attachments
The_High_Seas_Naval_BattleV4.zip
(50.69 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

- all Ships have a RAM Attack now (melee)
Won't this make the pirate ships not melee you (since you can now melee retal), thus meaning their weak attack to put a fencer on your ship will now not be used?
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]