Stuck on HttT The valley of death

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lotrfreak323

Stuck on HttT The valley of death

Post by lotrfreak323 »

What are some good strategies for beating this level?
uzy5o

Re: Stuck on HttT The valley of death

Post by uzy5o »

What I did was let everyone move north and take out the northern lich. The walking corpses move slowly and the southern enemies take a while to reach you if you move fast. For the last 3-4 turns, everybody just backed up into a corner because the enemies were too numerous; if necessary, have Konrad recruit thieves to shield your units.

If you're trying to beat all three liches, then I can't help you.
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Post by Federalist marshal »

I beat the level by sending all my units best suited for fighting undead to the southwest to beat the southwest lich, then hole up in the mountains in the southwest corner until turns ran out.

It's worked for me twice, but I'm not sure it works on all difficulties.
poisonblack

Post by poisonblack »

I have always believed this scenario needs about 18 [3 days] turns or so.I tried beating it twice with the strategy of first going to south lich, then WCs and then the north.But I find it difficult to kill the last lich within given turn limit.Or maybe, I just need a better strategy..... :roll:
Smops

Post by Smops »

I rushed the closest lich (east) asap with 2 castles of my best troops (slow troops first, then fast troops), leaving a couple of leveled mermen behind to guard the castle, in the moat. I slaughtered the closest lich, he only recruits walking corpses, and I had 2 paladins, coupled with mages (2 white+red) and elvish marshal + konrad lvl3 so I owned them. After that, the opposition from the south got stalled by mermen (2x triton w/ storm trident + 2 healing-mermaids), and the core of my army attacked north, while a small detachment rushed south to help the mermen. I killed the northern lich easily, but ran out of time to kill the southern. I lost 2 lvl3's/lvl2's I think, but that didn't really bother me afterwards.

Key to HttT is to level up as much as possible, esp. paladins, white mages. They always come in handy. Dwarven Lords are also really powerful, especially coupled with a healer.
Grand Marshal Aditya

Post by Grand Marshal Aditya »

I went straight south and shut down that guy, and then I recruited a few extra lvl 1s and hid in the mountains. This level gave me an opportunity to start recruiting more level 1s again, which I was able use to level up more units...have fun! :eng:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
SumnerH

Post by SumnerH »

As with many others, I found it pretty easy to take out the southwest lich and hole up in the mountains there; I didn't lose any units with that strategy (medium difficulty). Just make sure you have a couple of druids/white mages/mermaid priestesses/whatever in support of the front lines and a few troops to rotate to let wounded ones heal up.

Note on healing: As soon as someone is wounded, rotate them out for fresh legs. Don't wait until they're getting near trouble levels of hp. That way your healer is twice as effective (healing 2 slightly wounded guys), giving you extra free HP to work with.
Me1234

Post by Me1234 »

grand knights are very useful on this level if you can get them to the holy water. they will do about 72-2 to lichs in full daylight with the holy water. if you have any thugs or footpads, use them and go south with one knight and a few mages. then send up about six or so mages with some unit with leadership and the other knight to kill the north lich. then just get lots of elves, archers and fighters and a few druids and head east. i won the level in ten turns. of course i was playing on easy.
Confucious say "If you stand on toilet, you high on pot."
SumnerH

Post by SumnerH »

grand knights are very useful on this level if you can get them to the holy water. they will do about 72-2 to lichs in full daylight with the holy water.
On HttT, I'd suggest going with paladins instead of grand knights up to this level, but anyone who levels here or later should become a grand knight.

And I always give the holy water to Level 2 or lower melee units, it really helps them level up.
Angry Andersen

Post by Angry Andersen »

Leveling up is nice but you need Lancers / Knights with holy water for proper assassination in this level...

The mass of WCs in the east also make great sparring partners for your lvl1 units, even without holy water.
SumnerH

Post by SumnerH »

Angry Andersen wrote:Leveling up is nice but you need Lancers / Knights with holy water for proper assassination in this level...
There's no reason to assassinate anything unless you're really short on gold. It's a good scenario to level up a lot of troops while running the time out.
Me1234

Post by Me1234 »

when i last played this level i cam out of it with two new level threes and about four level twos that i didnt have before. :D
Confucious say "If you stand on toilet, you high on pot."
revolushn

Post by revolushn »

I don't get it. I am having so much trouble with this level. on medium i finished it quite easily by going south and killing that lich, then north. I also finished it by just defending my original castle with a couple of white mages out of danger.

Now, on hard, I die within 7 turns regardless of what i do. I have (what i believe) is a full castle of good units...

(L3)
4 x Elvish Champion
1 x Elvish Shyde
1 x Grand Knight

(L2)
1 x Elvish Druid
1 x Elvish Rider
1 x Merman Warrior
1 x Mermaid Enchantress
1 x Elvish Captain
1 x Red Mage

(L1)
2 x Elvish Archer

...which should in theory make it easy, but my gold goes down so quickly that im worried i wont be able to afford anything in the next level.

But more importantly I die. A lot. I think I have had about twenty attempts from the start and only get up to about level 7. I got up to ten by going north but the flying guys from the east ended up caning my already very injured units.

I would never normally ask for help - i love this game and love figuring out ways to win by myself. This is my first post, if I don't get help Im going to have to go back to the start of the scenario and try to: a) enter the level with more cash, and b) have different/better units.

Any ideas?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

On hard I always went around the lake, and bunkered up in the woods this would allow me to fight my enemies one at a time for the most part. You would first be fighting purple ghosts, then blues fast units/purples slow units. Then blues slower units, then when the WCs become close you can just run out the back. You will go through all your gold, but you don't realy need it in the next one.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
revolushn

Post by revolushn »

just did it on hard again. basically I think the only major difference was that I had a couple of white mages this time. Seems to help more than I thought it would, and i only lost about 5 L2/L3 units. Im happy with that. I went straight down and killed that lich and was just able to kill the green lich before turns ran out. On hard I would be very surprised if you were able to kill all three unless you had some incredible luck.