The High Seas (Naval MP Scenario)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Slann

Re: The High Seas (Naval MP Scenario)

Post by Slann »

And what about a cooperate mode of game??.

I think the lifeboat weas important. It gives you an extra 7 points of movement for scape to your enemys. for example, if your ship was boarder, and you have less movement, you also can scape on this lifeboat. But ill try your transportship
So far I created (and tested) a macro which allows you to select a new captain if your captain dies, wondering if you were interested in incorporating that into your version
this is a great idea, is on your high seas version??
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

On the point of flagships, how about you can capture an enemy flagship if their captain is dead and you place your captain on their wheel? This would encourage more boarding fights, and allow fleets of flagships to be built.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Aethaeryn wrote:On the point of flagships, how about you can capture an enemy flagship if their captain is dead and you place your captain on their wheel? This would encourage more boarding fights, and allow fleets of flagships to be built.
i see only problems and no benefit.

since map-space is limited and no matter how many new ship you put on the map (and ye more, ye messier), there will be a point when there is no more ship availabe, so the player which flagship was stolen cant build a new one.

also i think, if you can board the enemy ship and have a chance killing the enemy leader, then you will do it, so theres no need to encourage boarding fights

but feel free to code it - i can tell you that it will be messy, no real benefit and the work can be better spend on other things, theres no real point in having several flagships

btw, so far i have a problem - i added a transportship and all, added a boarding action too, the boarding action appears (so it is active and working), but the units will not be teleported to the ship, so the command is not executed.

i dont know why.

heres the code, its exactly the same as for the "board flagship"-thingy, just with the critical variables exchanged

Code: Select all

#define THS_BOARDING_TRANSPORT
[set_menu_item]
		id=EFA213
		description="Board Transport Ship"
		image=cursors/move.png
		[show_if]
		[have_unit]
			side=$side_number
			x,y=$x1,$y1
			[not]
				role=ship
				[/not]
			[not]
				role=bat
				[/not]
			[/have_unit]
		[/show_if]
[filter_location]
  [filter]
	side=1
    description="Transport Ship"
  [/filter]
  radius=1
[/filter_location]
[command]
	[teleport]
        [filter]
            x=$x1
            y=$y1
        [/filter]
        x=15
        y=7
		[/teleport]		
[/command]
[/set_menu_item]

[set_menu_item]
		id=EFA214
		image=cursors/move.png
		[show_if]
		[have_unit]
			side=$side_number
			x,y=$x1,$y1
			[not]
				role=ship
				[/not]
			[not]
				role=bat
				[/not]
			[/have_unit]
		[/show_if]
[filter_location]
  [filter]
	side=2
  [/filter]
  radius=1
[/filter_location]
[command]
	[teleport]
        [filter]
            x=$x1
            y=$y1
        [/filter]
        x=15        y=15
		[/teleport]		
[/command]
[/set_menu_item]

[set_menu_item]
		id=EFA215
		image=cursors/move.png
		[show_if]
		[have_unit]
			side=$side_number
			x,y=$x1,$y1
			[not]
				role=ship
				[/not]
			[not]
				role=bat
				[/not]
			[/have_unit]
		[/show_if]
[filter_location]
  [filter]
	side=3
  [/filter]
  radius=1
[/filter_location]
[command]
	[teleport]
        [filter]
            x=$x1
            y=$y1
        [/filter]
        x=15        y=23
		[/teleport]		
[/command]
[/set_menu_item]

[set_menu_item]
		id=EFA216
		image=cursors/move.png
		[show_if]
		[have_unit]
			side=$side_number
			x,y=$x1,$y1
			[not]
				role=ship
				[/not]
			[not]
				role=bat
				[/not]
			[/have_unit]
		[/show_if]
[filter_location]
  [filter]
	side=4
  [/filter]
  radius=1
[/filter_location]
[command]
	[teleport]
        [filter]
            x=$x1
            y=$y1
        [/filter]
        x=15
        y=31
		[/teleport]		
[/command]
[/set_menu_item]

[set_menu_item]
		id=EFA217
		image=cursors/move.png
		[show_if]
		[have_unit]
			side=$side_number
			x,y=$x1,$y1
			[not]
				role=ship
				[/not]
			[not]
				role=bat
				[/not]
			[/have_unit]
		[/show_if]
[filter_location]
  [filter]
	side=5
  [/filter]
  radius=1
[/filter_location]
[command]
	[teleport]
        [filter]
            x=$x1
            y=$y1
        [/filter]
        x=15        y=39
		[/teleport]		
[/command]
[/set_menu_item]

[set_menu_item]
		id=EFA218
		image=cursors/move.png
		[show_if]
		[have_unit]
			side=$side_number
			x,y=$x1,$y1
			[not]
				role=ship
				[/not]
			[not]
				role=bat
				[/not]
			[/have_unit]
		[/show_if]
[filter_location]
  [filter]
	side=6
  [/filter]
  radius=1
[/filter_location]
[command]
	[teleport]
        [filter]
            x=$x1
            y=$y1
        [/filter]
        x=15
        y=47
		[/teleport]		
[/command]
[/set_menu_item]
#enddef

i will try more, but if someone could have an idea i wil be very happy, since i have really no idea why it doesnt work, since the same code works excellent for the Flagship
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

or maybe the units is automatically teleported back ?
(because of a lifeboat function i havent disableed yet ? - cant imagine that though)
Dratsab

Post by Dratsab »

Can always insert a [message] message= _ "Well, it got here." [/message] right after [command] and see if it even gets to that by testing it in game? Only thing I can think of off-hand is something wrong with the transport ship? I assume it only pops up when next to a transport ship? what if next to both a transport ship and flagship?

maybe use [redraw][/redraw], in some of the core macro files I saw its used sometimes with the regular teleport ability. Maybe it needs to refresh the image of the unit in the other location? Although I don't know why it would work with the flagships and not with the transport ships.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Dratsab wrote:I assume it only pops up when next to a transport ship? what if next to both a transport ship and flagship?
then you have two options to chose from
"board ship" and "board transport ship"

@slann:
i know it even may be very handy if the lifeboard itself could be boarded, since it provides an additional 7 movement (so move your ship as far as possible, lauch lifeboat, board it, and then move 7 more tiles), but on the other hand the sense of the transport as i wanna have it, is to have ALWAYS a possibility to transport landunits WITHOUT having a flagship at all
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Dratsab wrote:Can always insert a [message] message= _ "Well, it got here." [/message] right after [command] and see if it even gets to that by testing it in game? Only thing I can think of off-hand is something wrong with the transport ship? I assume it only pops up when next to a transport ship? what if next to both a transport ship and flagship?

maybe use [redraw][/redraw], in some of the core macro files I saw its used sometimes with the regular teleport ability. Maybe it needs to refresh the image of the unit in the other location? Although I don't know why it would work with the flagships and not with the transport ships.
btw, tested the message things, and the message appears as exspected - will try redraw.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Mabuse wrote: btw, tested the message things, and the message appears as exspected - will try redraw.
redraw also didnt work,

and then i simply "rearragend" the code (until then i simply copied the boarding rules), and put behind every line a "return" so that it is displayed like it is in the forum, .. and what can i say ?

mahahahaha - it works !!! :D (now call me stupid or something, but i simply assumed it would work if i copy it)
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

ok, duh,

since i finally got the transport stuff to work, i'll add following things now:

1) transport ships can be also bought in trading port (only by leader though)
(since there are so few ship yards and i think its good to be able to buy a transport ship in ALMOST every city, so you have one when you need it, its basically only a small cutter)

2) add slave market to RAMAR, (and maybe Ravin but dont know yet) - add a few more houses to Ravin as well
and of course also the "raidable interior", add slaves to be traded in trading ports and that Ramar and Ravin produce slaves - and all that stuff - in short words: add slave market to RAMAR (and RAVIN)

4) adapt market prices for slaves (and add slave cage again to be bought in ship yard, since i cut it out (in my current version, notz in the one which can be downloaded atm))

5) add another "mysterious" Location to the unnamed bunch of houses northeast of quati
(but may be also possible that i add there a second slave market, and put the mysterious location to RAVIN (which is maybe better, becasue it will be difficult to reason why the small island of ravin "produces slaves" ... but well, finally it will depend on how the market prices distribute best)

thats it for the beginning :D
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

btw, Dratsab send me the code to slect a new leader if the old one died, (i think) we agreed on the fact that this is only possible as long you have a flag-ship

so as long you have a flag-ship it will be possible to select a new leader if the old one dies.

i will make that with htis restriction because i think at a certain point (no flasghip, leader also dead) you simply HAVE to lose the game

EDIT:
btw, i just think about it ....

.... on the other hand THIS really discourages the sense of boarding an enemy flagship with the goal to kill the leader -

so i am really torn atm, i am not sure if this is such a good idea at last -

any opinions ?

well, boarding the flaghsip can at least completely disable it, so it cant fight or move properly anymore (and get picked off easily)

so as long boarding enemy flagship makes sense i support this idea -

still i am interested in your opnion about that ?

is it good or bad ?
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

btw, implemented and tested the make new captain thing (also with a side2 hero ;)), and it works (also modified it to work only if you have a flag ship)

but i think we need a few more restrictions to prevent that players use ther initial leader (a level 2 unit) too recklessly, since they dont need to care about it much anymore

so i think not every unit shouldbe able to be a leader, only level 2 or level 3 units can be chosen as a new leader, so the unit really needs some expierience for that, and oyu stil have to be careful about your leader at start of the game, so i will implement this as well
Dratsab

Post by Dratsab »

Sounds good regarding the make new captain thing only working with level 2's and 3's.

As far as the whole "discourages boarding enemy ship to kill leader" thing, I don't think it presents too much of a problem. Ideallly most people won't be able to trounce in and kill the leader without killing a lot of other units in the way, and if they manage to get to your leader, they can probably kill everything on the ship. Gunners, Riggers, etc. to disable the ship. Plus, the level 2/3 requirement limits the ability of the player to re-appoint a leader.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

... and it makes the practice dummy very useful in case you lost your leader ;)
so i raised its price to 30 gp again :lol2:

ah well, i guess its ok with the leader "refreshment"

btw, the rule looks currently like this

Code: Select all

#define THS_MAKE_NEW_CAPTAIN
[set_menu_item]
            #Show the Make a New Captain option only when you right-click a unit that is not a bat or ship,
            #cannot recruit, and when you do not have a living captain on your team. Must have a Flag Ship.
		id=EFA231
		description="Make A New Captain"
		image=cursors/move_drag.png
		[show_if]
		     [have_unit]
			side=$side_number
			x,y=$x1,$y1
             			[not]
				role=ship
				[/not]
			[not]
				role=bat
				[/not]
			[not]
				level=0
				[/not]
			[not]
				level=1
				[/not]
                  		[not]
                        			canrecruit=1
                        			[/not]
	  [/have_unit]

[not]
                  [have_unit]
                  side=$side_number
                  canrecruit=1
                  [/have_unit]  
	[/not]

[have_unit]
	description="Flag Ship"
              [/have_unit]
		[/show_if]

#For the upcoming command, only look for units in the space you selected, that are on your side, and cannot recruit.
[filter]
       x,y=$x1,$y1
side=$side_number
       canrecruit=0
[/filter]

#Here we go, have the unit rally the troops, set him as leader, then remove his skills from character sheet,
#second leaders will start with zero skills, but will still get skillpoints when they level, so they can have
#some later on, if they aren't already maxxed out by level, a drawback to losing first leader.
[command]
   [message]
       speaker=unit
       message= _ "Come, follow me men! Let's seek plunder!"
       [/message]
   [store_unit]
       [filter]
	    x=$x1
	    y=$y1
	    [/filter]
	 variable=newcaptain
	 [/store_unit]
    {VARIABLE newcaptain.canrecruit 1}
    [unstore_unit]
       variable=newcaptain
	 [/unstore_unit]
[if]
{THS_CONDITION character_sheet[$side_number].hoarder equals "You have this skill"}
[then]
{VARIABLE_OP cargo[$side_number].rum_max add -2}
{VARIABLE_OP cargo[$side_number].jewels_max add -2}
{VARIABLE_OP cargo[$side_number].spices_max add -2}
{THS_STOP_GOING_ABOVE_MAX_CARGO rum}
{THS_STOP_GOING_ABOVE_MAX_CARGO jewels}
{THS_STOP_GOING_ABOVE_MAX_CARGO spices}
{THS_REFRESH_LABELS}
[/then]
[/if]
     {VARIABLE_OP character_sheet[$side_number].swimming format " "}
     {VARIABLE_OP character_sheet[$side_number].bartering format " "}
     {VARIABLE_OP character_sheet[$side_number].landlubber format " "}
     {VARIABLE_OP character_sheet[$side_number].seamanship format " "}
     {VARIABLE_OP character_sheet[$side_number].hoarder format " "}
     {VARIABLE_OP character_sheet[$side_number].rabble_rouser format " "}
   [/command]
[/set_menu_item]
#enddef
i liked your idea/foresight to reset the skills much (which is also an additional punishment), but had to implement that also the additional cargospace and cargo from the hoarding skil had to be removed

ironically as long you dont chose a new leader the additonal 2 points remain ....
so i may also put the lines regarding to this directly in the dying function ...

other progress is good, as you suggested the pirate ships are stronger with 10-2 grappling hook, and they board now 2 fencers

i also implemented two slavemarkets and a new town, need only to check some tradingthings and make the raidingsites

.. and whatever i forgot to mention

so soon a new version is ready to be uploaded
Dratsab

Post by Dratsab »

Awesome, you're really working yourself hard getting all these changes in place.

ps if I'm not mistaken, you need to add a "side=&side_number" in the check to see if a flag ship is there, otherwise it will only check if -any- flagship exists, not just one on your side.

Edited to add: Besides the shipwreck salvaging thing, I'm wondering if you'd be interested in a sort of healing thing on the ship, like a thing you can buy on your flagship where your units can heal? If so, +4 or +8 per round? I was thinking the probable reason why healers are disabled were so they don't heal ships :), but it makes sense to say, purchase a "medbay," or a healer that only heals if on the ship (prefer the first, so only one unit can heal at a time, and would place it on the rear of the ship, so it cannot heal the units in action.)
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Dratsab wrote: ps if I'm not mistaken, you need to add a "side=&side_number" in the check to see if a flag ship is there, otherwise it will only check if -any- flagship exists, not just one on your side.
thx - will add it