All Add-Ons

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Xandal

All Add-Ons

Post by Xandal »

I really like just about all of the add-ons, or would at least like to try using most of the add-ons and many of my friends feel the same way. I was wondering if it's possible to put up a "Download All" button in the Add-Ons section. Just a suggestion <3
Edward V Riley

Re: All Add-Ons

Post by Edward V Riley »

Even though I have lousy old dialup and I could never use that(until later this year when we're SUPPOSED to get DSL), I think it would be a great idea.

I sometimes wish there was an option where when accessing for an addon it would tell you if it's already been downloaded or would only have the addons listed that you currently DON"T have.
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows
Grand Marshal Aditya

Post by Grand Marshal Aditya »

Eh...the only problem is that there is probably hours worth downloads, and it will be painfully long...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Grand Marshal Aditya wrote:Eh...the only problem is that there is probably hours worth downloads, and it will be painfully long...
I don't know, the largest add-ons only take me a minute at most with my broadband so if someone really wanted to download all the add-ons it wouldn't be too long of a wait.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
rchandra

Post by rchandra »

Edward V Riley wrote: I sometimes wish there was an option where when accessing for an addon it would tell you if it's already been downloaded or would only have the addons listed that you currently DON"T have.
This in particular would be nice. There's a bit of a workaround - look at the list of addons, decide what you want, download nothing, then go to delete addons to see if you already had it.
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

Why not have a check-list in the add-on windows? Check yes to all the add ons that you want to download and it will only download the selected ones.

Downloading all the add-ons would be crazy, it would take more space than the whole wesnoth folders combined.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Well if thats what you want than it's up to you. I think that the check box idea is good. Maybe there could be a download all check box as well.
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

They're reworking the download server...
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

campaigns_client.py can already download all add-ons at once, if you need it.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I'm not sure we'd like to make it that easy to do, because of the load it could put on our server if lots of people used this option. Probably better would be if someone made a package of all add-ons; then we could put it on sf.net.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

There is also a client-side issue; some add-ons might clash with others so badly that the only way to recover Wesnoth's normal behavior would be to wipe out the guilty add-ons.

IIRC that happened to me once with 1.2, and I had just a few add-ons installed.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Dave wrote:I'm not sure we'd like to make it that easy to do, because of the load it could put on our server if lots of people used this option. Probably better would be if someone made a package of all add-ons; then we could put it on sf.net.
IMO the idea to 'tick' a few campaigns and download them would be far more useful than a "download everything" button. If you're concerned about load on the server you could always cap the amount that can be downloaded in a single hit (presumably with an associated "Can't download that much at once" warning dialog in the GUI when they try to go over it).