Rain's new piece (split from Battle Theme - Dwarves)

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rain
Music Contributor

Rain's new piece (split from Battle Theme - Dwarves)

Post by Rain »

Cool! Thanks for the info. I am just happy you can use the music. I hope you guys will find it useful. :)

On that note, here is another piece I am working on. It's not a battle theme... Though, it actually uses the same basic theme as the Knalgan theme, so it is a reprisal. I am not sure what it could be used for but perhaps one of you guys will have an idea.

http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/rai ... hTheme.mp3

It's a bit rough and not completely developed yet but some feedback would help me to get my footing a bit better with possible development.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: Battle Theme - Dwarves?

Post by Sapient »

It sounds like good story/conversation or "thinking" music-- where an important choice must be made.

The part around 1:50 and at the very end sounded a little odd/dischordant to me.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:shock: Rain just leveled up, or something. This honestly sounds different enough from your usual, stereotypical style that most people wouldn't realize it was you. Which is a really good ability to have under your belt - a lot of people are honestly not capable of doing that. Not only does it make you more versatile, but I believe it really fleshes out an artist's "native style", too; it helps to make the shortcomings in it more clear, and allows you to cross-pollinate between them. This all predicates on the assumption that "an artist has one native style", which I honestly don't find to be true, anyways - I've seen a lot of people who can span a large breadth of them.

Anyways, this sounds really good; basically commit-worthy as it is (for what my opinion's worth). If you're looking to do further experimentation, one thing I can think of is breaking up the tempo a bit. Right now it's fairly uniform, and predictable as a result. :hmm: I'm not exactly an anointed expert on music, but from what I've seen, doing that can really push a song over the top. I mean, hollywood music writers can make great music in spite of a predictable tempo (c.f. Lord of the Rings), but it still could be even better if that was made interesting as well.
Sapient wrote:The part around 1:50 and at the very end sounded a little odd/dischordant to me.
:hmm: I think he knows what he's doing - I didn't detect any sections that seemed "wrong" or "contrived", as far as discordance goes. It's a fine line to walk, between doing it right, and doing it wrong, but I think he's pulling it off (if he were doing it wrong, we'd know).
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

Jetryl wrote::shock: Rain just leveled up, or something. This honestly sounds different enough from your usual, stereotypical style that most people wouldn't realize it was you. Which is a really good ability to have under your belt - a lot of people are honestly not capable of doing that. Not only does it make you more versatile, but I believe it really fleshes out an artist's "native style", too; it helps to make the shortcomings in it more clear, and allows you to cross-pollinate between them. This all predicates on the assumption that "an artist has one native style", which I honestly don't find to be true, anyways - I've seen a lot of people who can span a large breadth of them.
Thanks J. :) I feel Wesnoth is definitely forcing me to stretch a little bit. This is never a bad thing.
Jetryl wrote:Anyways, this sounds really good; basically commit-worthy as it is (for what my opinion's worth). If you're looking to do further experimentation, one thing I can think of is breaking up the tempo a bit. Right now it's fairly uniform, and predictable as a result. :hmm: I'm not exactly an anointed expert on music, but from what I've seen, doing that can really push a song over the top. I mean, hollywood music writers can make great music in spite of a predictable tempo (c.f. Lord of the Rings), but it still could be even better if that was made interesting as well.
Hmmm... about breaking up the tempo... I agree, somewhat. I am just not sure of a way I could change the tempo without becoming too blatant and taking away from the 'buildup'. :augh:

Any suggestions from our music guys from how I might achieve this?
Jetryl wrote: :hmm: I think he knows what he's doing - I didn't detect any sections that seemed "wrong" or "contrived", as far as discordance goes. It's a fine line to walk, between doing it right, and doing it wrong, but I think he's pulling it off (if he were doing it wrong, we'd know).
I think sapient was referring to a few horn notes. It didn't sound awful to me when I was bouncing to mp3 but it certainly doesn't sound great. I'll see about patching this up once I get a bit more feedback going.

Thanks J
West
Retired Lord of Music

Re: Rain's new piece (split from Battle Theme - Dwarves)

Post by West »

I've split this to minimize confusion. In the future, please post new music in a new thread. Thanks. :)
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

West wrote:I've split this to minimize confusion. In the future, please post new music in a new thread. Thanks. :)
My mistake. The only reason I put it in the same thread was because they were thematically intertwined. I just want people to see and hear the thematic connection.

I'll keep this in mind for future reference.

Btw, did you listen to the piece?
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Rain wrote:Btw, did you listen to the piece?
Yes, I did, and I liked it -- I just haven't had time to write down any useful feedback yet. Maybe later tonight or tomorrow :)
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

This is an excellent piece, and also quite different for being you Rain. If you don't mind my saying so, you normally tend to write quite a lot of modal stuff, sometimes to the point where it feels a bit like jazz. There's nothing wrong with that of course, it's your style and you shouldn't let anyone tell you to deviate from it. However, I've often wondered "what would it sound like if Rain attempted something more straightforward and melodic?"

I think I have the answer now. :)

Like I said, this is very good. Sad, yet noble and atmospheric. I can't really say what exact situation it could be used in, but it feels like story screen music to me. Something that plays while the campaign background is narrated. Or... alternative main menu music even? Hmm.

Also, the production is also much better than on your other stuff. It's big and crystal clear and sounds very professional. Have you worked harder on the sound of this piece, or is it simply that you have maybe worked too hard on the other pieces, trying to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place? ;)

I don't have anything negative to say about it really, except for maybe that it ends too abruptly. But it isn't finished, so... well.
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

West wrote:This is an excellent piece, and also quite different for being you Rain. If you don't mind my saying so, you normally tend to write quite a lot of modal stuff, sometimes to the point where it feels a bit like jazz.
Thanks West. It's strange. I don't feel that I really approached this piece any differently than other works, but it definitely turned out differently. I think I just might be finally starting to grasp styles a bit better.
West wrote:There's nothing wrong with that of course, it's your style and you shouldn't let anyone tell you to deviate from it. However, I've often wondered "what would it sound like if Rain attempted something more straightforward and melodic?" I think I have the answer now. :)
Hopefully a few more 'answers' on the way!
West wrote:Like I said, this is very good. Sad, yet noble and atmospheric. I can't really say what exact situation it could be used in, but it feels like story screen music to me. Something that plays while the campaign background is narrated. Or... alternative main menu music even? Hmm.
Cool. I wish I could offer up an idear of where it might fit, but my knowledge of Wesnoth, and lack thereof, prevents me from doing so. I'll leave that judgment up to you, maestro.
West wrote:Also, the production is also much better than on your other stuff. It's big and crystal clear and sounds very professional. Have you worked harder on the sound of this piece, or is it simply that you have maybe worked too hard on the other pieces, trying to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place? ;)
What areas of production are you referring to, overall? For this piece, I was simply thinking the 'less is more' philosophy might actually be true. I have a tendency to overcrowd my works, throwing in everything including the kitchen sink... thud/ thud/ thud.

I definitely was a lot smarter about instrument placement when setting up the piece, which really seems to have caused me minimal headaches later on.
West wrote:I don't have anything negative to say about it really, except for maybe that it ends too abruptly. But it isn't finished, so... well.
In your opinion, what direction would be advisable to taking the piece? I can flesh out more but I'd like to know what you feel could be added to give the piece a bit more meat...