Impossible to install The Era of Myth

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Killiran

Impossible to install The Era of Myth

Post by Killiran »

I've downloaded from the add-on server multiples other Era (extended, imperial, magic, etc.)
But this one is impossible to install. i always get the same error:
"error general: There was a problem creating the files necessary to install this add-on."

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Édition Familiale Premium (6.0, Build 6000)

Battle for Wesnoth v1.4
Started on Sun Mar 30 04:34:09 2008

Checking video mode: 800x600x32...
setting mode to 800x600x32
WARNING: setlocale() failed for 'C'.
WARNING: setlocale() failed for 'C'.
set locale to 'C'
loadscreen: filesystem counter = 219
loadscreen: binarywml counter = 15580
loadscreen: setconfig counter = 44
loadscreen: parser counter = 73875
error display: could not open image 'units/human-lavinian/legionnaire.png'
error display: could not open image 'units/human-marauder/warrior.png'
error display: could not open image ''
error display: could not open image 'low-elvish-high-lord.png'
error display: could not open image 'orocia.png'
error display: could not open image 'images/elder.png'
error display: could not open image 'units/monsters/yeti-attack3'
error display: could not open image '../data/campaigns/Autumn_Kingdoms_Prologue/images/menu/lieutenant.png'
error general: There was a problem creating the files necessary to install this add-on.

PS: the game is installed on the drive G.
Maybe that's what generating the error "WARNING: setlocale() failed for 'C'."
But then, why only this add-on, and no other?
Mist
Inactive Developer

Re: Impossible to install The Era of Myth

Post by Mist »

C is a POSIX term meaning default language locale (in human speak C = en_US) so it has nothing to do with the fact.

You can run wesnoth from command line with --log-debug=all switch and post last few dozen lines of stderr.txt after atempting to install EoM again.
It's very likely though that EoM maintainer made some sort of error when uploading latest version.
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
Killiran

Post by Killiran »

Hurrrm... is this what you wanted?
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths/factions): Permission denied
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths/images/aberrations): Permission denied
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths/images/celestials): Permission denied
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths/images/devlings): Permission denied
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths/images/elementals/attacks): Permission denied
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths/images/elementals/projectiles): Permission denied
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths/images/elementals): Permission denied
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths/images/shifters): Permission denied
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths/images/therians): Permission denied
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths/images/undead): Permission denied
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths/images/vampires): Permission denied
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths/images/wargs): Permission denied
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths/images/windsong/halo): Permission denied
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths/images/windsong): Permission denied
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths/images): Permission denied
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths/units/aberrations): Permission denied
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths/units/celestials): Permission denied
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths/units/devlings): Permission denied
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths/units/elementals): Permission denied
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths/units/macros): Permission denied
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths/units/movetypes): Permission denied
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths/units/therians): Permission denied
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths/units/undead): Permission denied
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths/units/vampires): Permission denied
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths/units/wargs): Permission denied
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths/units): Permission denied
info filesystem: remove(G:/Wesnoth 1.4/userdata/data/campaigns/Era_of_Myths): Permission denied
debugdebug networknetwork: : waiting for thread 386336 to exit...
worker thread exiting...
debug network: thread exited...
debug network: waiting for thread 411244 to exit...
debug network: thread exited...
debug network: exiting manager::~manager()
error general: There was a problem creating the files necessary to install this add-on.
info display: showing dialog 'Error' 'There was a problem creating the files necessary
to install this add-on.'
debug display: above_preview_pane_height: 0; dim.interior.y: 300 - 29 = 271; dim.interior.h: 58
debug display: invalidate_all()
If you need the complete file, i uploaded it here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/103447638/stderr.txt.html

I checked my folders, and strangely the files are here, but the add-on is not available, and if i select Advanced Era + Era of Myth + default, i can't see any icons for the Myth races.
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Yep. That's the thing. And the error is maintainers fault and as such it's his to fix.

And as a piece of advice, when uploading large textfile in future, use some sort of pastebin, like http://pastebin.com/ rapidshare is just plain uncomfortable to work with.
Disorder.
Killiran

Post by Killiran »

Drats... and to say that i downloaded it, and played only a few hours ago! ^^

Thanks for the link. (bookmarked)
Awen

Post by Awen »

just to say im having the same problem... i guess will have to wait for the designer to fix this.
Awen

Post by Awen »

background.. over a week ago i installed all the addons in the list.

im also getting an out of synch error when i try to load (watch or play) a 3 player multiplayer game against one opposition on the following...

Extended Era + Era of Myths + Default

3p - Orocia RandomMod

At first i got the error immediately after i saw the map for the first time. i was told to download "Era of Magic" which i did and i joined the game again.. this time i managed to complete my first turn of buying units and moving them, then when i ended turn at the moment it was anothers turn i got the same out of synch error.

i have also noticed that some of the Era of Myths units do not have a picture to them and appear like a ghostly image instead. are they supposed to be like that? (unfinished).

I also updated to the latest version of "Extended MP Era" - im not sure if i needed to.

I cant think of any other addons i would need to update.. can you? although i dont know what addon the Orocia map comes on, perhaps i need to update that?

So perhaps it is the Era of Myths addon that is out of synch? maybe others managed to download a newer version of that without problems but some people are stuck on the old ones.

any other ideas what could be the problem?

thanks
Last edited by Awen on March 30th, 2008, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

As I said.
It's a maintainers fault.
There is nothing you can do to fix it.
Wait till it's fixed.
Posting here will not hurry this process.
Disorder.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I'm sorry about the bug, but I honustly have no idea what I did to cause it or how to fix it.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

In my .wesnoth, all directories are 0750 and all files are 0644, including those of EoM. If you know what the problem is, would you like to tell us?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

@AI: I don't know what you are talking about.

I use a mac, incase that makes any diffrence. It looks like the problem has something to do with accsess permission, but I don't remember doing anything since last time I uploaded that would change anything like that. When I uploaded Delta 1 it worked just fine.

EDIT: My resident cumputer expert told me something to try, I'm going to upload it to try again, could someone download it again to see if it works this time.

EDIT: Anyone who read that message within 2 minutes of it being posted, and downloaded it please try again, when I modified permissions I did it to the wrong folder and had to modify it again, and upload it again.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Killiran

Post by Killiran »

The problem persist.
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

And was now identified properly. See here http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 06#p290406

Topic locked.
Disorder.