OpenSource 3D RogueLike CellShaded SoULFU

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

innocuous

OpenSource 3D RogueLike CellShaded SoULFU

Post by innocuous »

Secret of Ultimate Legendary Fantasy Unleased. (Soulfu from now on, quite the mouthfull)
Check it out at http://www.aaronbishopgames.com/

Soulfu is a free, open source game unlike any other game other than roguelike games.

Stolen directly from the manual:

SoulFu allows up to four players to play simultaneously, and USB Joysticks are recommended. Before starting, you must setup controls for each player. You'll figure it out! There are some things worth mentioning, however...
1. This game is designed to be quick to play. There is no save, F9 pauses.
2. Characters will slowly starve.
3. Most levels are randomly generated.
4. Hold the inventory button down and press other buttons to do "stuff".
5. Light damage is easy to heal, heavy wounds are not.
6. Enchantments tap mana, making it unavailable for other uses.
7. The castle still needs some work. In the training room, jump on the post to hire helpers.
8. High-level characters must be virtuous.

If riding through a dungeon in a warthog while a friend uses the chaingun, running over all types of cute and un-cute cell shaded critters is your idea of a good time, then we can hang out sometime.
You control each arm of your character, and can use swords, bows, magic, and other goodies in each hand. You also have two special attack slots that can hold your character's special abilities.

The character classes are:
Soldier
Wizard
Healer
D'warf
G'nome
Hubbin
Mystic
Elf

If you are looking for a quick pick up and play game with beautiful graphics, try it out with some friends.

Check out the forums. http://www.soulfu.com/forums/index.php
Some fans have even created a save-game feature.
Net-play is coming very soon!
Check there as well for info on Mac and Linux builds.

The cons:
The game is not finished, and some areas a rough around the edges. But the core game is very functional and is very fun to play!
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Re: OpenSource 3D RogueLike CellShaded SoULFU

Post by Blarumyrran »

im usually not a fan of such cartoony style, but the game sure seems promising from the videos (for an open-source game).

will try out, definitely.

but their home page certainly needs complete rehaul; on my first glance on the site's ugliness, i thought its some warez site :) . first impression DOES matter.
mihoshi

Post by mihoshi »

Could be wonderful game, unless unfinished state and [censored] license.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Looks pretty impressive. The only thing I was instantly rather dismayed about were the controls and the inability to configure a decent mouse+keyboard scheme. Still, I'll surely give it another go again (I only tested it very briefly the first time).
innocuous

Post by innocuous »

The game is unfinished... There is no main quest or any goal you are striving for... The controls are a little difficult to get used to...

But I still have a lot of fun playing with some buds every once in a while.

When using the keyboard, the mouse is use to control the camera... It definitely difficult to use. Which is why I use a gamepad.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I looked around on the site and forums for 15 minutes trying to find either a Linux binary or the source to download and compile myself, and could find neither. :annoyed: (That link on the home page pointing to "Linux version" is useless; you have to do some nonsense like download the Windows version, install it with Wine, and then run the Linux binary in the same directory, which I'm not willing to do.)

Does it really count as open source if you have to look around for several hours just to find out where to download the source code? :roll:
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

turin wrote:Does it really count as open source if you have to look around for several hours just to find out where to download the source code? :roll:
"But Mr Dent, the plans have been available in the local planning office for the last nine month."
"On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them."
"That's the display department."
"With a torch."
"Ah, well the lights had probably gone."
"So had the stairs."
"But look, you found the notice didn't you?"
"Yes," said Arthur, "yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying Beware of the Leopard."
innocuous

Post by innocuous »

There was a sourceforge project, but I don't know what happened to it. There is a new svn repository here: http://soulfu.motherhamster.org/
The source is currently under construction, so the head revision won't be buildable.

The game wasn't finished on windows, so I don't think it's even that close on other systems. I'm working on putting together some info on linux/mac builds, though I don't know anything about other OS specifically.

Wesnoth is a great game with great support and tons of fans. Soulfu is a pretty good game with dismal support and seven or eight fans :augh:
mihoshi

Post by mihoshi »

innocuous wrote:There was a sourceforge project, but I don't know what happened to it. There is a new svn repository here: http://soulfu.motherhamster.org/
Sourceforge hosts only free software.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

mihoshi wrote:Sourceforge hosts only free software.
Which this project at least claims to be.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
innocuous

Post by innocuous »

I don't know all the details, but there was some licensing conflicts. The creator of the game, Aaron Bishop, is no longer supporting the project directly, but he did not want the game released under GPL for whatever reason. Instead, he wanted to use his own license which is not OSI compatible...

But the game is free to download and use, and the source is bundled with it. Maybe it isn't a truly open-source project, but for all intents and purposes, if you want to download the game and modify it, you can, with a few restrictions based on the in-house license.

When I said "opensource" maybe I should have said "source comes with the game"...
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Can you point us to the license? I couldn't find it on the svn.
innocuous

Post by innocuous »

It is at the bottom of this link below, or in the manual that comes with the game.

http://soulfu.motherhamster.org/

I don't know why it isn't released on a license like GPL. There are some vague parts to it...
Lorbi

Post by Lorbi »

5. The NICEWARE system must remain working and enforced - no "work
arounds" may be made. In order to access all character classes,
the player must type "I SWEAR I DID SOMETHING NICE" one time per
session.
eh ...
-- ^ --
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

5. The NICEWARE system must remain working and enforced - no "work
arounds" may be made. In order to access all character classes,
the player must type "I SWEAR I DID SOMETHING NICE" one time per
session.
Wtf?
The World of Orbivm