unit tree

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
cdjflip

unit tree

Post by cdjflip »

as the title suggests, perhaps someone could add a unit tree to the help menu that would look a little like this:

/--Swordsmen--Royal Guard
/--Spearman --|--Pikemen--Halberdier
civillian-| \--Javalineer
\
--Bowman--Longbowman--Master Bowman
Woodsman-/

I know that their is something like this in-game that you can click around and find out the options but i want to see the whole thing and be like 'hmm, i can go that way cuz i might need that or i could go that way and do that' instead of clicking forward and back.

its mostly just out of conveinence but anything like this would be appreciated, especially for the more obscure races.
nnn

Re: unit tree

Post by nnn »

very nice, but i fear, that we need to talk about a "graph" insted of a tree, cause 2 different units could level to the same. And i don't know of a simple way to draw a generic graph
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

you are talking about something like this, I assume.
elricz

Post by elricz »

Darker_Dreams wrote:you are talking about something like this, I assume.
I am not maintaining that page anymore, as http://units.wesnoth.org/ is automated to bring you more versions and translations.
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

elricz wrote:
I am not maintaining that page anymore, as http://units.wesnoth.org/ is automated to bring you more versions and translations.
~shrugs~
Yours came up first on google when I did a search.
elricz

Post by elricz »

Good point, I will put a redirection on those links.

Thanks!
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

There seem to be a number of broken links in the 1.4 unit tree.
elricz

Post by elricz »

Darker_Dreams wrote:There seem to be a number of broken links in the 1.4 unit tree.
Can you be more specific? If I can see some examples, I may be able to tweak the code to solve them.
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

Well, apparently it's all fixed now so I can't.

When I clicked earlier the mermen and bats(?) pages both came up 404 and the MoL had its name printed twice (once replacing the image) and lead to a 404.

(I think it was the bats that came up 404, I'm sure about the others.)

FWIW.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Darker_Dreams wrote:Well, apparently it's all fixed now so I can't.

When I clicked earlier the mermen and bats(?) pages both came up 404 and the MoL had its name printed twice (once replacing the image) and lead to a 404.

(I think it was the bats that came up 404, I'm sure about the others.)

FWIW.
I ran the update script earlier which deletes everything first and then recreates it so for a while pages are missing.

elricz: There seems to be a problem with this translation though: http://units.wesnoth.org/trunk/sr_RS@latin/index.html
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

The User-Eras could be updated for sure, and the old versions of wesnoth probably could be cleared out and delinked from the main page.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

elricz wrote:
All except EE, IE, and EoM, which are horribly out-of-date and arguably need the trees the most since the units are unfamiliar.

I agree with Weeksy, at this point either remove the feature or update the user-made eras.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Speaking as current maintainer of the Era of Myths, I'd rather not have to update the site every time I make a change unless it is very easy (I have not checked). It is nice to have it on the site so people see it as being semi-official, but I doubt anyone realy uses it.

EDIT: I also don't think it would be used much if it was updated (constiering how out of date it is people would be right not to use it right now).
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Anyway, the point is, it would be really nice to have this in-game. The natural place to put it would be on each race's page - we already list all the units in the race there, it makes sense to display that as a tree instead...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
elricz

Post by elricz »

I agree that the eras are awfully outdated, I had to do some custom coding for each of them, and it needs a revision. I cannot tell when I will be able to have them ready, but this time I will look for more feedback during the process, as there were things that surely could be done easier.

Regarding the missing language, I will take a look tomorrow, it should be easy to solve.