The Windsong

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: The Windsong

Post by Velensk »

This work does look nice, however there is a problem, and that is that the art for the burst is in a slightly diffrent place than the standing artwork, thus when the animation beguins the scribe hops down a few pixels then back up once the animation is over.
It may be easier to move the scribe art to where the attack animation is than to try to move all the attacks to where the scribe is.

EDIT: looking at the animation again, I think that the origional sprite was much better centered so it would be better to modify all the frames. By the way it looks great in-game aside from that.

EDIT2: I went to fix the images, and the problem I discovered was that the .gif was a diffrent size than the origional .png. I tried resizing it, and found that if I did resize from the bottom then that did not solve the problem, and if I did it from the top the cipher got cut, and if I tried from both directions a combonation of the two happened. I believe either we are going to have to lower the scribe image, or we are going to have to redo the animations except shorter.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Velensk: those animations I posted were just a test thing to show off to everybody. I already coded it all, and the runes are halos, so everything works just fine. I made you a package which implements the animations, but it's based off the Gamma 8 unit files; if you've changed anything in the Scribe line, all you have to do is remove the old attack_animations and replace them with the appropriate macro. Or copy these over and edit them; your pick. In any case you definitely need the WS_SCRIBE_RUNES macro that's in the general-utils file and all the images. I apologize in advance if anything's confusing...

Oh yeah, I also made (and included in the above) a Scribe defence frame, making it the first WS unit to be fully animated, muhuhahaha.

Thanks to everyone for your positive input... it's nice to know my poor efforts are appreciated...

Edit: oh yeah, and I noticed while fiddling with .cfg files that some of the Windsong have their hit sound as HUMAN_OLD_HIT, when it should definitely be HUMAN_FEMALE_HIT. Dunno how I managed that one. I r teh smarts. :augh:
Attachments
runeanims.zip
(186.83 KiB) Downloaded 479 times
Lol runes.
Lol runes.
runecircle.png (13.84 KiB) Viewed 5414 times
scribe-defend.png
scribe-defend.png (1.7 KiB) Viewed 5414 times
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

You confused me, I don't understand what I'm supposed to do with halos. I understand images, and animations, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do with this.

Currently, I've copied the unit cfg's into my version of the folder, replaced the general info macro, and put the images in a folder in the windsong folder. I don't know where I am supposed to go from here, or if that was all that was required.

If I have made any mistakes I'd like to know what, and why in addition to what else I am supposed to do to get this to work.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Halos are just images that get displayed on top of other images; the Shyde's shininess is done as a halo.

Basically, you need the unit sprites in the /images/windsong folder, and all the little runes in /images/windsong/halo, the way I have them in the .zip.

That's all there is to it, hopefully.
hee hee! - little girl
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Sorry if there is an obvious answer, but where do i put the general-utils file?
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Neoskel wrote:Sorry if there is an obvious answer, but where do i put the general-utils file?
Era_of_Myths/units/macros
hee hee! - little girl
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Megane, I just wanted to let you know that those runes are sooo awesome!
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Ah. Works like a charm. These are very nice.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

These are now in my version and working, so when I upload the next version it will be in everyones.

Good job.
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Are wa yume? Soretomo maboroshi?
Attachments
cipher.png
cipher.png (5.38 KiB) Viewed 5248 times
cipher-memory.png
cipher-memory.png (3.46 KiB) Viewed 5250 times
cipher-sorrow.png
cipher-sorrow.png (4.4 KiB) Viewed 5253 times
hee hee! - little girl
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Attachments
cipher-death.png
cipher-death.png (4.73 KiB) Viewed 5251 times
hee hee! - little girl
hagabaka

Post by hagabaka »

Can't wait to see these in game :)
My favorite addon campaigns (made by others): Swamplings | Galuldur's First Journey | To Lands Unknown | The Devil's Flute
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

hagabaka wrote:Can't wait to see these in game :)
You don't have too, you can put them in yourself. It won't cause bugs because it's just art, and art olny you can see.

btw these are commited to the next version.

EDIT: I almost forgot, when I was adding these in I noticed that in my version the descriptions for the scribe line except for the scribe were missing their descriptions for some reason. I saw these descriptions when I was working on them earlier. I think they must have been lost when I c/p the versions with the ciphers in. If you could send me a document with them I'll c/p them back in.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

WOW megane! Those attack buttons are fantastico (They just deserve to be complimented with a foreign word!)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The attack icons are good, but they look too "clean" and computer-generated. It would help them if you added a bit of variation inside the rune-thingies.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm