New Character

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Geos

New Character

Post by Geos »

I'm new here. I don't know if this goes here, because is not exactly a contribution (well, feel free to use it, of course). Is the main character of a campaign I'm thinking.
Her name is Aleva, and she is (as her name tells) wizard apprentice.
Here I show you some animations and pictures, to see what you think.
I must say that I used Li'sar as a template. I didn't knew who to ask, so if the owner doesn't like the idea, tell me soon, please, so I try to do it from scratch.
Well, I tried the animations in game, and work fine, so I made this gifs to share it here. If anyone is interested in all the .png tell me and I will post it.
Here there are two versions, the black dressed one is another level reacher further on in the campaign.
Attachments
Aleva_Attack.gif
Aleva_Attack.gif (2.3 KiB) Viewed 6299 times
Aleva_Unit.png
Aleva_Unit.png (724 Bytes) Viewed 6301 times
Aleva_Prin.png
Aleva_Prin.png (2.01 KiB) Viewed 6300 times
That's ridiculous, dragons have no windows...
Geos

Re: New Character

Post by Geos »

And here the other animations
Attachments
Aleva_Missile.gif
Aleva_Missile.gif (11.03 KiB) Viewed 6282 times
Aleva_Defend.gif
Aleva_Defend.gif (1.95 KiB) Viewed 6294 times
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

This was more fitting for the Art Workshop forum (Art Contrib is only for mainline content), so I moved it there.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

These are good recolour/frankensteins, though the shading is slightly grainy in places. You also need to remember that for the magic attack (great work on that, BTW, the hair flying effect in particular is cool), the direction she should be shooting is down/right, not right, and that the projectile should be a separate image/animation, not part of the base animation. You also need to be careful throughout that each frame stays level with the previous ones, or your animations will skip up and down, which doesn't look too good - this happens particularly in your defence animation.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

thespaceinvader wrote:...
Also the entire unit should move in the animation.

EDIT: Oh, ah thanks Spaceinvader
Last edited by Unnheulu on March 24th, 2008, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Very true (for the attack animation), the unit should take a full step (or jump, depending on the unit) forward. DOesn't apply to the defence or ranged anims, though. And xer, you forgot the " marks around my name, which broke your quote tags =P
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Geos

Post by Geos »

Yes, I guess i will need to change those things. The magic animation shows the magic here because i set everything together for the GIF, so it looks like in-game, but yes, that animation is actually three. The character, a preparation halo, and the projectile animation.
By the way, I know this should go in WML workshop, but as we are on the topic...
The coordinaties of the halo... where is the 0? the center of the hex? Are they file coordinates (top left)? Is there and easy way to locate a halo animation in your character animation?

Well, I will keep on working. I'm not that much of an artist. Mainly a developer, though. Now I have to have my bad time with lutesian drawing...

thank you
Geos

Post by Geos »

By the way, I made (god, took me hours) a portrait. Little amount of NPGs my campaign is going to have if I have to do portraits for each...
Attachments
Aleva_Vector.png
Aleva_Vector.png (24.47 KiB) Viewed 6059 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Considering that you claim to be a non-artist, that portrait's very good =) You need to think about a couple fo things though - the lighting direction for one. The spear is lit from beneath, which her face and body are lit from thef ront and her hair from above. You also need to refine the shading on the hair - make the highlights larger and more irregular, falling across the 'grain' of the hair, otherwise it looks kinda plasticky. Similarly, you could do with more highlights and a layer of white speculars on the metal portions.

BUt let me reiterate, this is really nice work =)

I THINK the halo zeroes in the hex centre, but i'm not sure. You could work it out by looking at the WML for the Mage of Light, i think.
Ebob

Post by Ebob »

The portrait looks like it came straight out of McDonalds. :shock:
Make her less... plastic-y. A good first shot.

P.S. to make her look more like a human, make the shine and glare on her body and face just lighter shades of what that part of her is, not white (i.e. Make dress shines light blue, as opposed to white).
You should see my staff!
toms

Post by toms »

Ebob wrote:The portrait looks like it came straight out of McDonalds. :shock:
Make her less... plastic-y. A good first shot.
That's probably because of the hair. It needs more shading, especially a darker level of shading.[/my_opinion]
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
dontano

Post by dontano »

Well, it's worth the try at least. I'm a non-artist too so, as a first try, I think it's a good start. One thing: is she an elf or a human? Some backstory?
Trust yourself first, then trust others.
Current activity/ies: what...!?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Ebob wrote:The portrait looks like it came straight out of McDonalds. :shock:
+1

It's a great start nevertheless. But... <insert Jetryl's comment here:eng:>
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

A couple of comments:

* You based the graphic on Lisar - that's cool. But Lisar is armed with a fencing sword, not a polearm. You would require nigh-superhuman strength to use her attack animation with a long hardwood polearm.

* In the Aleva missile attack animation, the hair nearest the viewer is flying back, while the hair furthest from the viewer is flying forward. It should be consistent (IMO the hair at the back should fly backwards too).
Geos

Post by Geos »

I decided to make a change on the portrait of my main caracter. This is a shot. I think is better than the one made with vector drawing. Is just too hard for me, so I followed kitty's way, that I found easier (not that his work is worse, of course). The result, of course, is far away from people who can actually draw, but let's say it's good enough for me. What do you think?
Attachments
Aleva_Vector2.png
Aleva_Vector2.png (26.03 KiB) Viewed 4798 times