Random Window Resizing

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
DSollick

Random Window Resizing

Post by DSollick »

I've noticed that when playing Wesnoth, every few minutes (the time varies), it will switch from full-screen (1280 x 768) to a regular, non-widescreen resolution (1024 x 768 [Note: This is an educated guess]), and be no longer be full-screened. The title bar then comes up , and the window is unmovable, as far as I can tell (I haven't tried really hard, for fear of producing an ugly crash and messing up my window config for a long time ). After a short while, the window will go back to full-screen.

While this is an aesthetic issue, it does not make it any less annoying.

Taking straight from the Wiki, here is my computer specs:
Wesnoth Version: 1.3.18
Built from source: Yes
g++ version: 4.1.2 (Ubuntu 4.1.2-0ubuntu4)
SDL Library: 1.2.11
OS Version: 7.04 (Feisty Fawn)
Reproduction: Simply playing the game will cause the resize to take place.

Special notes:
I realize that this could possibly be on the hands of the window manager, e17 (Version: 0.16.999.041), so maybe if someone else tries it with e17, we could pin it on it, and I'll suffer through until their devs fix it. I really don't know what it could be, for I'm really not a programmer :(

EDIT: Terminal Output
I looked up and thought I should read the sticky on how to report bugs first (duh), and saw that terminal output was reccomended, so I ran it in the terminal until the resize took place, which took no more then 5 minutes of play.

#1021 dooster@hekter ~ % wesnoth
Battle for Wesnoth v1.3.18
Started on Mon Mar 3 20:24:02 2008

Checking video mode: 1024x768x32...
setting mode to 1024x768x32
set locale to ''
set locale to ''
loadscreen: filesystem counter = 135
loadscreen: binarywml counter = 30628
loadscreen: setconfig counter = 44
loadscreen: parser counter = 218
loadscreen: filesystem counter = 0
loadscreen: binarywml counter = 15798
loadscreen: setconfig counter = 0
loadscreen: parser counter = 4
scenario: '3_Wasteland'
next_scenario: ''

This really doesn't seem out of the ordinary, but again, I am no programmer.

Thanks!

Note: I am NOT a regular forum person, so I apologize if this has been brought up or fixed since 1.3.18 (I used to compile everytime a new one came out, but my computer has major cooling issues and compiling Wesnoth takes a while)
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Yes, full screen and windowed do have separate sets of resolutions. That is you could run in 1600x1200 when in fullscreen and in 1024x768 when in windowed mode. The default for each is 1024x768.

Regarding your problem:

Might it be that you accidentally hit ctrl+f? This hotkey combination is to toggle between windowed mode and fullscreen mode. In the preferences you can change the hotkey used for this task. Try to do so and check if it still happens. And you might want to change the resolution when in windowed mode so that it fits your screen better, this is no problem since both are kept separated.

Beside this I have never before heard of such a problem regarding Wesnoth, though e17 is (if it really is the cause) a rather seldom window manager, so it might be you being the first one to spot the problem. Please test if it still happens when redefining the hotkey for "toggle fullscreen".
DSollick

Re: Random Window Resizing

Post by DSollick »

Sorry it took so long for me to reply, the server was down and then I went away for the weekend.

In any case, I ran tests that night (when the forum was down), and made double-sure that it was not me hitting the keys, although I did notice that there are a buttload of key combinations (I've never really used them in Wesnoth -- The only keys I've ever used regularly are in MMORPGS).

I have screen-shots, and I can upload them if you'd like, but for now I'll just outline what did happen.

---
I loaded up a saved game and started playing. A few minutes in, resize occurs.

I then went to options and reset the full-screen keymapping from 'Control-C' to 'Alt-Shift-7', or something rediculous like that. Basically, it was the only thing I could think of that would be practically impossible for me to hit on accident.

Afterwards, I continued playing, with my hands completely off the keyboard. Resize occurred, once again.

I then went to see if it was related to gameplay, as in if it were connected to me playing (Possibly a number of clicks or movements, I was really just checking another possibility), and I opened up the keymap dialogue box again, and watched it. (To be honest, I didn't watch it completely, I kept an eye on it and played Pokémon on my DS :) ) It resized again, so it's not connected strictly to my activities.

Soo~, I still have no idea what's going on :annoyed: . I'm downloading 1.4 tonight, building it, and hopefully getting a fellow e17 user to test it with me. I'll let you know what happens.

---

Edit: I have built 1.4 and it still does the window glitch. I have yet to get my fellow e17 user to try it yet, because he is apparently 'busy'. Friggin' college students ;) [Under normal circumstances, I'd ssh in and install it myself, and look at it through VNC but he uses Portage which is apparently different than Ubuntu's system, which I'm used to (sudo checkinstall -D FTW!), is apparently completely different. Blarg.]

I'll edit/post again when I finally get him to run it :annoyed: . Anyone else here use e17?

---

Second edit:

I had a friend test it on his computer (he also uses e17) and it seems to be working fine. It's extremely early in the morning here, but suffice to say, preliminary results state that only computer that is having the issues is mine. :augh:
teptwep

Post by teptwep »

I'm having the same problem, it's happening in ubuntu 7.10 and debian testing. in gnome and openbox. i haven't tested kde.
during normal gameplay, the screen switches from fullscreen to windowed. If you go to preferences -> display, you'll find that the "Toggle Full Screen" option is still checked even though it is in windowed mode now.
continue playing normaly and the screen flips back to full screen.
It's not fatal, but it gets annoying after a while.

CHEEEERS!!!!!
DSollick

Post by DSollick »

Could this be our computers? Teptwep, what is your computer stats?

Mine:
Computer: Compaq Presario V2312US
Graphics Card: ATI Technologies Inc ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE)

If you need more information, I'll gladly give it out, I just don't want to flood this with unecessary information.
teptwep

Post by teptwep »

Mine is Dell inspiron 530 (desktop) with the built in intel graphics
DSollick

Post by DSollick »

So much for that idea then :P Complete opposites having the same problem.

Anything we can try to diagnose this, devs?
teptwep

Post by teptwep »

It's an OS problem specifically with debian and it's derivative ubuntu. I don't remember having the problem with fedora in the past.
DSollick

Post by DSollick »

That would explain why it didn't happen in my friend's Gentoo installation.

Weird bug though, especially for an entire OS. Any programs doing it besides Wesnoth? Wezzy is my only full-screened program that I run on Linux...
teptwep

Post by teptwep »

I've noticed that this doesn't only affect wesnoth but also dosbox. so it's a problem with debian's X :(
Rhonda
Site Administrator

Post by Rhonda »

teptwep wrote:I've noticed that this doesn't only affect wesnoth but also dosbox. so it's a problem with debian's X :(
I haven't noticed anything similar with the Debian package and neither have I received any reports along that lines, even though there are quite some users of the packages and I receive regular bug reports about even smaller things. You said yourself that you are using ubuntu too (and also debian testing, I read that) but you haven't mentioned if you used the Debian packages I produce or your own homegrown.

About building it from source yourself, what's the configure switches you use? Does the same happen to you when you use the packages from the distribution? Please notice that for hardy there are 1.4 packages in the pool already, I'm unfortunately not aware of any backports of those packages to 7.10 or such.

Thanks,
Rhonda
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Gutsy-backports has had it for a few days now.
teptwep

Post by teptwep »

Hello Rhonda

I used ubuntu for about a couple of weeks then I switched to debian stable(i no longer have ubuntu).

After installing debian stable I added the testing repos and did apt-get dist-upgrade.

I don't compile any of the packages myself I just use the ones available thru apt. i.e testing, stable and debian-multimedia.

I should mention that this is affecting all games the have a fullscreen feature. I was just playing a game that uses http://ioquake3.org/ as the engine and it kept switching to windowed mode and back to fullscreen.

For my desktop enviroment I use Gnome + openbox, maybe that has something to do with it? It even could be a SDL bug rather than a Xorg bug.

As for my xorg.conf file, it has the default debian configuration with DRI being enabled.

thanks for your interest.

P.S. Since this problem is more of a debian related bug rather than a wesnoth bug, maybe we should continue this conversation at a debian or even ubuntu forum somewhere.
DSollick

Post by DSollick »

:augh: The forums ate my post :evil:

In any case, I compile all my own packages, but this seems to be irrelevent.

I guess I have to sign up for a debian forum now :hmm:

Any suggestions as to where we should migrate this conversation?
teptwep

Post by teptwep »

Hello all,
I've figured out what the problem is. It's the screen saver shipped with debian. Even if you are moving the mouse or pressing on the keyboard, the screensaver activates and makes the running application switch from fullscreen to windowed.

disabling the screensaver fixed the switching problem for me.

System->Preferences->Screensaver

and deselect "Activate screensaver ..."