Forum Upgrade

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Re: Forum Upgrade

Post by Blarumyrran »

is it on purpose that i cant see whos online now?

i really hope not.
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

We managed to kill the database server again this morning.

Yes it's on purpose.
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

I'm not allowed to use the search function.

wtf?
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
hiro hito

Post by hiro hito »

I havent the link "search new message" or "my message" any more... is it normal?
"Of course His Majesty is a pacifist. When I told him that to initiate war was a mistake, he agreed.Thus, gradually, he began to lead toward war."-Emperor Shòwa (Enlightened Peace)'s chief cabinet secretary
Lim-Dul

Post by Lim-Dul »

I guess it's the "elegant" solution for reducing forum load. ;-)
Last edited by Lim-Dul on March 21st, 2008, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
--
Project StD - Save the Drakes - we want more branches! =)
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

The recent removal of search is a serious drawback in my opinion, outweighing everything else that is even remotely good about the change.

No desire to hunt through dozens of forums for new threads, I just don't read them.
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Ahh... and I thought I was just too stupid to find the search button... Definately a big loss... Browsing through older topics just by topic titles is quite exhausting.
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
elricz

Post by elricz »

Lurking is much harder without the search button :cry:
TheBladeRoden

Post by TheBladeRoden »

:eng: Finding new posts, searching for new replies to my posts, or searching the forums for a particular topic is much harder without the search button.
Founding Father of Columbia
longhair

Post by longhair »

While we're piling on, add my displeasure about removing the search function. I had the "search for unread posts" bookmarked in my browser, but now I get a message saying I don't have permission.
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

I know that many live on that search for unread posts (including me), but I think Mist has already gotten the point. :wink: His answer's in IRC log (if you're willing to search).
Take a breath.
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Thanks anakayub.

I find it utmostly reasuring that so many people find me so utterly brainless that I can't even tell a difference between a gimmick and critical forum feature and don't give me even enough benefit of doubt to assume I wouldn't nuke search if I had any other choice at that point of time. I'll reimplement it bit by bit over the next few weeks at the pace my life will allow me along with introduction of some RSS functionality that'll hopefuly make you rely on it less.

Anyway, thank you again for all your support :P Was suprisingly enlightening.
Disorder.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

anakayub wrote:His answer's in IRC log
What sort of coy response is this? I have no idea where these IRC logs can be found.
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Heh, especialy for you, from http://wesnoth.debian.net/%23wesnoth-dev-2008-03-21.log
10:19 <zookeeper> hey. where has the "view new posts" link on the forums disappeared to?
10:20 <cycholka> zookeeper: had to nuke it yesterday night
10:20 <zookeeper> what? temporarily i hope?
10:22 <YogiHH> hmm, it looks like i stumbled upon a forgotten piece of code
10:22 <cycholka> with a bit of luck till wednesday, I'm forced to split search function
10:22 <cycholka> and reimplement some functionality like new posts in a more lightweight fashion
10:23 <zookeeper> what's the problem? the forum software can't cope with the number of users we have?
10:23 <cycholka> no, given a nasty set of circumstances search in current form can lock up part or whole database
10:24 <zookeeper> oh. that certainly sucks
10:24 <cycholka> it's more a hardware than software limitation
10:24 <zookeeper> i thought the hardware side was solved by the move to ibiblio, but i guess not
10:25 <cycholka> last night we had something that looked like a hack attempt that connected with heavy search use at the time completely locked up table holding posts
10:25 <zookeeper> right
10:25 <cycholka> I noticed it in time to disable the board before whole mysql server went down
10:26 <cycholka> but that was lucky, we won't allways have an admin at hand
And if you didn't notice I reimplemented the 'view new post' function this morning in somewhat different form.
Disorder.
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Mist, no offense, but maybe it would be better to announce stuff like this - especially about "critical forum features" somewhere more prominent, where forum users can actually read it. I am sure that noone of us meant to do a personal attack on you. But without info at all (maybe on the main website at wesnoth.org or in a sticky in this forum), what should we do but hint to a in-our-eyes-problem?

Thanks for your good work. I appreciate the new forums and thanks to your explanation will just wait til it works properly again.
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")