loyal icon

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Simons Mith

Re: loyal icon

Post by Simons Mith »

Well then, ignoring key clashes:
Pressing Alt-Q fades all non-quick units.
Pressing Alt-L fades all non-loyal units
Pressing Alt-S fades all non-strong units.
Etc.

?

Levelled units are easy to spot because they use new unit graphics. About-to level units have full XP bars. BTW, what happened to my suggestion that hit point bars be replaced with damage bars instead?

vicza

Post by vicza »

cool evil wrote:This suggestion might be of some use, but once its implemented, other people who likes other traits/abilities might start to wanting it implemented this way as well. And while we're at it, people will definitely like to be informed about leveled up units, so by theory, we should also give all leveled up units an extra mark or something of that sort.
Leveled up units have their own icons. Abilities are connected to specific types of units. Traits -- well, they are renewable; however valuable for you might be, e.g., strong unit, you can recruit another one. But you can't recruit another loyal unit, that's why he needs more attention.
Simons Mith wrote:Change the shape of the orb? A diamond, perhaps?
Or the same heart, not with, but instead of orb.
Lorbi

Post by Lorbi »

vicza wrote:
Simons Mith wrote:Change the shape of the orb? A diamond, perhaps?
Or the same heart, not with, but instead of orb.
Don't forget the orb is there for some reason. It indicates wether a unit already moved and such.
-- ^ --
Lim-Dul

Post by Lim-Dul »

I liked the ring. It is subtle and doesn't obscure anything that is in-place already.

However, I think that all traits would deserve some visual representations if the loyal icon were to be implemented, like some people suggested... I, too, fear that the interface might get too cluttered with them - no matter if they are switched on and off with hotkeys...

Although vicza said that loyal units deserved special attention I would say that the other traits - renewable or not - have a far greater impact on gameplay... I mean - it'd be far quicker and easier to see that you should attack with a strong unit, a resilient unit might be good for holding a village and quick units could be used for potential "scouting". As it is now you have to do a lot of "mouse-hovering" to get a full understanding of your forces...
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
--
Project StD - Save the Drakes - we want more branches! =)
vicza

Post by vicza »

Lorbi wrote:Don't forget the orb is there for some reason. It indicates wether a unit already moved and such.
So what, it can be green/yellow/red heart. :wink:
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Except that you'd have to replace the orb (which, I believe, WML doesn't support) or write complicated code to update the heart.
JAP
Art Contributor

Post by JAP »

I have tried a little more, and maneged to get the heart in the same size and style as the crowns.
I think this is probebly the best i can do.
and Lim-Dul i like the ring to it looks ok, but i really like the symbolism of a golden heart.
Attachments
loyal-icon.png
loyal-icon.png (661 Bytes) Viewed 2919 times
Example.png
Example.png (15.23 KiB) Viewed 2918 times
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Now, of course, the question of "how do we differentiate between 'normal' loyal units and hero+loyal units" arises.
vicza

Post by vicza »

AI wrote:Now, of course, the question of "how do we differentiate between 'normal' loyal units and hero+loyal units" arises.
That's simple. Heroes (and leaders) don't need any 'loyal' sign, because they mustn't be killed anyway. :wink:
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Well, since the hero overlay is now a (rather unimportant looking) silver crown, a gold heart of that size will make loyal units look really important. :P
JAP
Art Contributor

Post by JAP »

Well, since the hero overlay is now a (rather unimportant looking) silver crown, a gold heart of that size will make loyal units look really important. :P
That is a god point... what could we do about that?
I suppose we could say that gold is for leaders only and make a silver or bronze heart.
Or we could do heroes and leaders a little more fancy, maybe use the current leadercrown for heroes and make a new more impressive crown for leaders.

Any other ideas?

Personally i think a bronze heart might be god, if someone agrees i will try that tomorrow.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Here's my stab at it, really simple gimpwork (like 5 minutes), if you don't like it, feel free to hack it up or make your own. (it is likely that it completely sucks, because my monitor sucks too)
Attachments
Simple Hue-Saturation-Lightness change (-30/-30/-30)
Simple Hue-Saturation-Lightness change (-30/-30/-30)
bronze_heart.png (669 Bytes) Viewed 2818 times
Simply ripped and pasted, lazy me ;)
Simply ripped and pasted, lazy me ;)
bronze_example.png (15.2 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
vicza

Post by vicza »

AI wrote:Here's my stab at it, really simple gimpwork (like 5 minutes), if you don't like it, feel free to hack it up or make your own. (it is likely that it completely sucks, because my monitor sucks too)
Maybe, that bronze bottom would be enough (w/o heart, I mean) ?
JAP
Art Contributor

Post by JAP »

Okey i did something tonight anyway (really need to sleep now)

AI: it doesent suck but i think it can be improved a little bit.

vicza: something in bronze without anything extra was made by megane earlier in the tread.
I dont know which one would be better.
Attachments
loyal-icon.png
loyal-icon.png (676 Bytes) Viewed 2784 times
bronzeexample.png
bronzeexample.png (14.81 KiB) Viewed 2790 times
JAP
Art Contributor

Post by JAP »

Okey i have done some experimenting and i like a coppercoulored one.
And it looks a lot less important then the silvercrown, right?
But what i want to know is if this idea, to have something that shows if a unit is loyal have a chance of being implemented?
Any word from the developers?
Personally i think it would be very useful.
Attachments
loyal-icon.png
loyal-icon.png (707 Bytes) Viewed 2713 times
copperexample.png
copperexample.png (37.69 KiB) Viewed 2718 times