Brotherhood of Light - Multiplayer RPG Scenario

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TruePurple

Post by TruePurple »

Experience wise, the best way to currently do it, is leaving those troops behind at the port. No other part of the map holds so much experience for your mages. No way you want to waste that on troops that will be under your control for only a very limited time.
Well the increased experience would add a bit of value to those troops. For those who do want to use the troops. We could increase it even to say 25-30 exp. Is it possble to make it level dependent? That is more experience gained from bringing a level 2 to 3 then a level 1 to 2?

As far as lightning, can't you use it in addition to your regular attack like other spells? Thus it doesn't matter if it doesn't do as much damage as your regular attack.

What do you think of those suggestions bob?
nataS

Post by nataS »

Thanks for the hint, I have now ventured into the final parts of the map. Again, I must say it was a great experience so far. I have not encountered any bugs, except for one. This happened when I was near the north-east part of the map, after I saved my game and returned, I encountered a network error, this happened for several times. Because I kept on trying, rejecting the possibility I might had to start over and redo like 200 turns, in the end I could play on. Someone else mentioned it too. What is needed to investigate on this?

I still have to complete the final part, you really did make it very "challenging".
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

nataS wrote:Thanks for the hint, I have now ventured into the final parts of the map. Again, I must say it was a great experience so far. I have not encountered any bugs, except for one. This happened when I was near the north-east part of the map, after I saved my game and returned, I encountered a network error, this happened for several times. Because I kept on trying, rejecting the possibility I might had to start over and redo like 200 turns, in the end I could play on. Someone else mentioned it too. What is needed to investigate on this?

I still have to complete the final part, you really did make it very "challenging".
So, you were playing with other people on the MP server? Can you remember what happened around the time the errors started? Something to do with the yeti hunt?
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
nataS

Post by nataS »

Indeed it was in the part with the yeti. I was controlling all four players. I approached the area from the south, met a hunting party after crossing the bridge. I chose to not involve myself. Then went north, found and burried a yeti corpse. Then I saved the game and the error showed upon reloading.
Nilli

Re: Brotherhood of Light - Multiplayer RPG Scenario (0.4.1)

Post by Nilli »

These are not bugs per se, but minor text errors.

When you first meet Godfrey he asks "Who goes there?" and the monks reply with "A mage from the monastery of light. You mean us no surely?" I would like to believe there is a word missing in that sentence, "harm" perhaps?

When you travel from the castle to fight the Orc war you are greeted by Harry with "Who goes there?" and the monks reply with "I am from the Brotherhood of Light. We have been send by King Lyodus - he has given us command of this garrison." Once again, I would like to believe that the word send should be spelt "sent".

Minor details, I have yet to discover the rest of the scenario as my first game was ruined by the "out of sync" syndrom. I am sure there will be no disappointment! :)
Nilli

Post by Nilli »

I'm sorry to say I did find a major bug. The entire game completely crashed, with no error message or anything.

I had just completed a quest north of the village north of the Monastery (don't remember the names). An old herbalist asked me to slay goblins, and I completed the quest. After talking to the old man when the goblins were slain he offered to sell me items, I refused and since I was wounded I stayed to heal on the house. When I clicked "End turn" the game disappeared.
rovanu

Post by rovanu »

Hi,

I am on turn 487 and I just don't get

- the caged elf
- the closed door south of the market
- the glimero cavern entrance
- I couldnt find the amulet

to work. And it drives me crazy. Can you give me some hints?

There is a bug, which still poisons the mages when entering the water at Trelo Village after freeing the village.

Great map and lots of work I can imagine you put in. I love the tulips :-).

The game is certainly no MP game, sorry to say, I started of with 3 other guys but after 4 hours, people started to leave - they had to in some sort of - so I continued playing all 4 mages. Now I am in hour 10. Whaaaaaa.

Regards,
Rov.
mihoshi

Post by mihoshi »

Very interesting mod. Played it solo (with three slots set to empty). Had fun. Especially with my priest arguing with himself and calling himself "brothers".
Solved all quests I could find, but some parts of map still inaccessible - behind deep water or high mountains. And no hints of how to reach them. specifically that are lake in NW and mountains in SW, N and NE.

So,

1. It's definitely not a multiplayer scenario. No one will wait that much time while other do some trivial things. Make it more intence somehow. Or state clearly that playing it solo is an option.

2. Recharge spell is annoying. It is ok itself, but it should work automatically, instead of manually. I.e. just convert moves to mana every time moves are reset - before attacking, at he end of the turn, when moving into zoc.

3. Mircale spell was bugged for me - healed only to 50 hp, instead of maximum.

4. Prize money for yeti - may be it should be 480 divided by number of living players, not just 120 each?

5. There must be some way to see list and state of current quests.

6. Write names of landmarks on map. It's hard to remember at first which bunch of houses is Borol and which is Trelo. Also marking places that NPC mention (elve's tree, spider, monolith) would be nice.
jazzakis

Post by jazzakis »

Congratulation!!

Excellent work!
ylmson

Post by ylmson »

Congratulations for the nice map! Some suggestions:

1. To make miracle work, maybe add {FULL_HEAL description=$caster.description} after [/unstore_unit] in BOL_SPELL_MIRACLE macro?

2. For swimming, etc. I prefer the following way of changing movement costs:
[effect]
apply_to=movement_costs
replace=true
[movement_costs]
shallow_water=1
swamp=1
[/movement_costs]
[/effect]

With "replace=true", the behavior would be more true to what the description means (instead of "-2 movement in shallow water"). Also, this means I can now play the map with any era and leader unit and not worry about the movement cost going negative. :P

P.S. I'm currently soloing the map as a mermaid initiate. :lol2:
"You may draw, even if you are no artist, and all you have is mspaint and a touchpad."
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

Some comments:

1) The orcish army quest is currently somewhat 'bugged'. Unless you all teleport there at the same turn AND make a move there as well, some of the army just gets lost, because AI still has ownership and he would suicide the units you don't control yet. Even one turn of delay is bad. What makes it REALLY bad is that player 3/4 actually has the troops that can reach opponents, so bye-bye knight, pikeman and javelineer maybe. Also in some scenarios the time you get there the knight+jav are out in the open. I suggest you give control of all troops (like the Yeti hunter quest) at once. Then the only remaining problem is that xp wise it's actually better not to lose the troops. You can farm xp elseweher, however, so it doesn't really matter.

2) You can farm xp at the elf castle for as long as you want. Dunno if that's good or not, just commenting. I suggest picking shamans.

3) Currently the quick trait is so much better than the others (6mp is 1 move more on forest AND swamp and such). Yea I know that at some point you can buy swiftness potion (dunno if its effect is permamnent tho). The resilient trait is actually COMPLETELY useless, as the 10hp bonus doesn't stay on levelup and if you can't survive until levelup, you'll die anyway

4) I think the other options are a bit unbalanced too. Mountaineering seems better than the others. Yea I know, a forester and a swimmer is very useful if you know what you're about to do, because some areas are only accessible by that. I think it'd be better to give some additional bonuses to those as well, I mean swimmer could have 40% defense in water forester 60% in forest. It's really not a life-changing bonus, but would sound nice.

5) 175g bonus is actually better than all the others too. None of the items are even close to that in cost and all are buyable (or almost)
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Hey, thanks for all this...
csarmi wrote:Some comments:

1) The orcish army quest is currently somewhat 'bugged'. Unless you all teleport there at the same turn AND make a move there as well, some of the army just gets lost, because AI still has ownership and he would suicide the units you don't control yet. Even one turn of delay is bad. What makes it REALLY bad is that player 3/4 actually has the troops that can reach opponents, so bye-bye knight, pikeman and javelineer maybe. Also in some scenarios the time you get there the knight+jav are out in the open. I suggest you give control of all troops (like the Yeti hunter quest) at once. Then the only remaining problem is that xp wise it's actually better not to lose the troops. You can farm xp elseweher, however, so it doesn't really matter.
This is a bug. The troops are meant to remain static until the respective player arrives on the island. That's what used to happen. I'll look into it.
csarmi wrote: 2) You can farm xp at the elf castle for as long as you want. Dunno if that's good or not, just commenting. I suggest picking shamans.
I forgot about player's tendency to ruthlessly farm xp when I made this. A bad oversight, I know. I guess this and similiar situations would be better removed. What others are particularly exploitable?
csarmi wrote: 3) Currently the quick trait is so much better than the others (6mp is 1 move more on forest AND swamp and such). Yea I know that at some point you can buy swiftness potion (dunno if its effect is permamnent tho). The resilient trait is actually COMPLETELY useless, as the 10hp bonus doesn't stay on levelup and if you can't survive until levelup, you'll die anyway

4) I think the other options are a bit unbalanced too. Mountaineering seems better than the others. Yea I know, a forester and a swimmer is very useful if you know what you're about to do, because some areas are only accessible by that. I think it'd be better to give some additional bonuses to those as well, I mean swimmer could have 40% defense in water forester 60% in forest. It's really not a life-changing bonus, but would sound nice.
Very good points. I'll when I get round altering this when making a new version.
csarmi wrote: 5) 175g bonus is actually better than all the others too. None of the items are even close to that in cost and all are buyable (or almost)
That maybe so, but you have to make it to a shop to spend the gold, which means planning a certain route around the map, playing quite a few turns - and being able to kill off the trolls/wolves without any bonuses. Even so, maybe i will just lower the gold amount a bit.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

Well killing trolls and wolves are very easy, it is possible even alone. With mountaineering you can skip them anyway. If you keep at least 8 mana, you're never in danger anyway, worst case you teleport on the end of your turn (strat I really liked vs rocklobbers is: shoot, if he hits, teleport home, if not, stay and shhot again). The items you can pick at start look fairly useless anyway.
Felix Jager

Post by Felix Jager »

RAAAR! How do you get the incantaation??? :(

And how do you get into the top right of the map...

And by close to home does it mean in the monastery?
nataS

Post by nataS »

Felix Jager wrote:RAAAR! How do you get the incantaation??? :(
And by close to home does it mean in the monastery?
Yes the monastery, if you travel north from hayshore market you should be able to proceed further.
Highlight for another hint if you need/want it: [look for a village in the mountains]
Felix Jager wrote:And how do you get into the top right of the map...
You can enter the area via either a bridge from the south or west. If by top right you mean the rather large area of mountains, don't bother because they really are as impassible as they can get. If you still have to explore the entire snow filled area, perhaps the snow boots from Fokio city market can help you.

I have a question myself as well, I already finished the game a few times, but never unlocked the elf castle. Can this only be done depending on your choice in the Den of Thieves?