Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Pickslide
Art Contributor

Heir campaign story pics

Post by Pickslide »

here are some sketches I've done for the main campaign story pics that I hope will replace the current blurry ones. This is a branch from my portrait thread, to keep it from getting too messy.

Its been suggested to simply put the sketchy pencil onto a parchment like background, which would go much faster. Or I could color them as real time scenes, like the current ones are, except not fuzzy.

Comments are welcome, I'll post new ones here when I have the basic sketch done, and eventually I'll start posting cleaned up and colored ones, if thats whats wanted. I'll probably line and color them the same way as the newest version of my portraits.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Cool.
I really don't think much value would be added by coloring these. The pencil lines have a nice feel. My vote is for photoshoping (or GIMPing) them onto a parchment texture and calling them, "Done."
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

I disagree. I think that nicely coloured versions will look awesome.
Free Gamer - free games compendium & commentary
FreeGameDev - free game development community
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Eleazar wrote:Cool.
I really don't think much value would be added by coloring these. The pencil lines have a nice feel. My vote is for photoshoping (or GIMPing) them onto a parchment texture and calling them, "Done."
Word. You can color them, but I would wait on that until the line art is pristine.

I mean, they would look cool colored, but they look cool regardless, and it's not a night and day difference between colored and not colored.

Coloring them would also be a pile of work, too.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

I'd guess we have a significantly more artists here that could color these images (if necessary) than can do line art like this.
It seems that Pickslide's Wesnoth-time is best spent drawing.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I work in pure line myself, and prefer it to colored and shaded images.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Pickslide
Art Contributor

Post by Pickslide »

Thanks for the compliments.

I was planning on drawing out all the main ideas first, so that there was something to work off at least. That way, when school starts again and I'm swamped, things can still be done without me.

Although as of late, I've taken to practicing my anatomy :P. I'll try to get the next story scene up soon.
Pickslide
Art Contributor

Post by Pickslide »

New scene! I'm pretty happy with this, it plays with perspective a little and stuff. Took a lot of work.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Your images are really nice but I dont like some of your choices in character design, Eldred should be a young "hot-headed" man not an ugly evil looking men in his fourthies (no skulls).
The king is really good.
The queen should have curly brow hair.. just to make her more "different" than his daugther.
The 3rd image is really very good but I dont think that its a good idea showing the wound so close. There are a large young player population, showing an image like that in the intro could made thair parents uneasy with the game.
About armours and weapons... your choice is good, bulky armoured boots are nice and plain swords maybe too broad) maybe you should give Eldred a visored helm like units in the game (mayle later I'll post a draft about what kind of helm I have in mind)
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

There isn't any blood, is it truely that different from getting a needle injected by the doctor <:)
Shundread

Post by Shundread »

Neoriceisgood wrote:There isn't any blood, is it truely that different from getting a needle injected by the doctor <:)
It's MAGIC!
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Neoriceisgood wrote:There isn't any blood, is it truely that different from getting a needle injected by the doctor <:)
Agreed. But I don't think it should be too gory, because there are children who play this game.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Pickslide
Art Contributor

Post by Pickslide »

heh, thats a good point about Eldred, I may have gotten carried away with the evilness. I'll try to fix that so he looks younger and more brash and zealous than evil. The skull is really from lack of ideas, I'm having trouble coming up with something suitibly royal for embellishment.

I did think about that staff, but the text description evokes a pretty graphic image, and I couldn't resist.

The swords are a little stylized, my attempt to try to make the prince look more powerful.

I was kind of imagining the queen as having a more slicked back wet hair look, and lisar having the poofier I use conditioner kinda thing. Curly doesn't seem like it fits her evil nature?

I'll try to post the fixes to the prince when I finish them. I was definately planning on giving him a visored helm, I was just hoping to design something impressive and not too goofy looking. I've sort of given up though, I'll just put a visor on him :P.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Your line-art drawings are great, and at this rate I bet you could convert all nine "Heir to the throne" images before we get to 1.0, and perhaps you might even draw some new ones. I agree that others can add color if they want to, your line art drawings are so good that that is what you should emphasize right now. And they make great parchment drawings as they are.
Pickslide
Art Contributor

Post by Pickslide »

Thanks! I'm definately trying to get a nice sequence of pics done for 1.0. I've got a young and lord Konrad portraits line arted too, I just need to color them and redo/fix all those others again :P.

Speaking of the 9 pics...um...can someone in the know explain some of the next ones? Either I didn't get that far in the campaign or I forgot!

There's the queen ordering Lisar, Konrad getting shipwrecked...

Whats the one with the knight with arrows in him?
I assume that sceptor is the sceptor of fire.
There's the one with Delfador training Konrad?
And that one with the robed figures approaching a campfire?

I just need some backstory to plan the scenes...thanks in advance.