What should I do if I want to create a 0$ game?

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Juxtys

What should I do if I want to create a 0$ game?

Post by Juxtys »

What 0$ software and programming languages I should use to do that?
What are C++ and Python advantages and disadvantages against each other?
What should I know about the core of a graphics engine?
If you are afraid of wolf - don't go to the woods. - Lithuanian proverb
Lorbi

Re: What should I do if I want to create a 0$ game?

Post by Lorbi »

Main difference is that Python is a scripting language while C++ is a "real" programming language which you do have to compile.
This means:
C++ is ( should be ) faster in execution once compiled and since this should be the number one choice if you are planning on a larger project.
Python has the advantage of being easier to learn ( seems you don't already know any of the two? ) and you don't have to compile the source ( more ease in redistributing/share of source and finding bugs )

Consider this to be a very basic advice that does not cover a lot of the more complex things you should take into account but with no more information on your project and your plans either of the two languages may cover your needs.

ps: there is plenty of information on that topic already avaiable on the internet ( start with google/wikipedia )
pps: please nobody flame me because of trying do trailing down things to such simple statements ( yes i know one can compile python ... and such )
-- ^ --
grzywacz
Inactive Developer

Post by grzywacz »

Lorbi wrote:C++ is ( should be ) faster in execution once compiled and since this should be the number one choice if you are planning on a larger project.
Not really. I'd say that Python can run fast enough, especially if cpu-intensive computations are moved into compiled modules.
nnn

Post by nnn »

answering the 1st 2 question will only result in flamewars or similar discussions (for me grzywacz post is already a proof)

I dont want to insult anyone, but for me the whole looks like a typical "what to learn to make games"-question. and i doubt there can be a usefull answer to this kind of questions.
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

For programming softwares, or C++ for that matter, you should use Visual Studio, or if you don't want to buy one, the free alternative Dec C++ is worth a shot too.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
Dveman115

Post by Dveman115 »

cool evil wrote:For programming softwares, or C++ for that matter, you should use Visual Studio, or if you don't want to buy one, the free alternative Dec C++ is worth a shot too.

Last time I checked, visual studio express is free, and thats all you'll really need. Dev C++ is abandoned, but my other c++ IDE of choice. Then there's always code::blocks if you really want to give it a shot. (I think sapient uses that?)
tsr

Post by tsr »

Juxtys wrote:What 0$ software and programming languages I should use to do that?
What are C++ and Python advantages and disadvantages against each other?
What should I know about the core of a graphics engine?
I'm sorry, but to me it seems the question is incorrect...

...What I mean is, are you sure you are at the stage where it's time to decide on the implementation?

What are you really looking for:
a) to create a game?
b) to learn the skills to be able to do programming in a game project?

If you are after a) I think you should wait with deciding on implementation when you have decided what your game is all about, what plattform it should run on, what audience you are after, how resource hungry it will be, etc. It might turn out that the best for your game is the ruby-shell, JavaScript, Eifel, strict xhtml+css, C, PHP, Java or whatever.

Once upon a time Gamasutra and MPOGD had some nice resources on game creation, but basicly I think it comes down to: write the story, refine it, love it and then start thinking how you can do a game of it. After you have decided on that and plattform, etc then start looking for coders or become one yourself :)

/tsr - throwing in 2 cents or something
Jodwin

Post by Jodwin »

No offense, but to me it seems you should first just learn some basic programming regardless of language, learn how the things inside a computer work in general and only then come back to this. You shouldn't even think about starting a game project without first knowing the basics of programming and computer software, which will already answer to the questions you presented and many, many more questions which would definitely rise if you just tried to create a game right now.

In Finnish there's a (slightly rude) saying which describes working the way you are trying to very well: "Perse edellä puuhun", which roughly translates as "Trying to climb up a tree backwards." You may think that you'll get finished sooner by working towards your set goal alone (finishing an open source game), but it couldn't be further away from the truth: Without the basic skills it would actually take you ages to get anywhere in the project. Just like it would take anyone ages to climb a tree up backwards.

So, shortly put, leave the open source game for a while and instead study a little about computers, programming and algorithms. Read about the basics of graphics, physics and such and only then get back to your project. It will go much, much smoother then.
Yes I use windows, too.
Yes I too am aware of what that means.
Yes I'm still gonna use windows too.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

My advice:
  1. Start with Python, it has a low learning curve for beginners, and lots of libraries (including game making)
  2. Start with something very simple, like a Pong-style game where wou have to keep a bouncing ball inside a box with a vertically moving paddle. Upgrade your goals in small steps.
  3. Once you're familiar with Python, you can start learning compiled languages. You can combine the two by making C modules for your Python program.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Juxtys

Post by Juxtys »

Actually, my computer skills aren't at the absolute zero. I am learning Pascal at school and I find myself good at it, and also, I have tried BASIC a year ago, but then BASIC did not made any sense to me. I have heard that C++ is much like Pascal, so I think I should try C++ first, if the game making codes aren't damn hard and long with C++.
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

Here's a better place to ask these questions:
http://forum.freegamedev.net/
http://wiki.freegamedev.net/
Free Gamer - free games compendium & commentary
FreeGameDev - free game development community
appleide

Post by appleide »

Here's a neat language to use to learn: http://www.processing.org
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Juxtys

Post by Juxtys »

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help. My classmate has set up a some-sort of game making project, but I don't want to participate in it just yet. I will watch their project from aside till he makes version 0.01(If he does).
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

charlieg wrote:Here's a better place to ask these questions:
http://forum.freegamedev.net/
http://wiki.freegamedev.net/
This is also a question that comes up on the Linux Game Tome a lot and there's a FAQ about it at: http://happypenguin.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=621