An unique idea for a stronghold alike game.

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Juxtys

An unique idea for a stronghold alike game.

Post by Juxtys »

What about a game there you have a map of your own domain, build a settlement there, create an economy but then it comes to fighting - your map and your enemy's map joins each other at a single wall - so yours and your enemies forces can engage and pillage without ability to know how strong you or your enemy is before the combat. That might make a lot of tactics and planning beyond fun:D

And using completely real time like in a game Virtual Villagers for economic System might also be very cool :wink:
If you are afraid of wolf - don't go to the woods. - Lithuanian proverb
mihoshi

Post by mihoshi »

Cool! Now start implementing that.
Juxtys

Post by Juxtys »

The main problem is, I am a lazy sixteen year old who can't make anything on his own... Like with my Exile Campaign...
tsr

Post by tsr »

Juxtys wrote:The main problem is, I am a lazy sixteen year old who can't make anything on his own... Like with my Exile Campaign...

/tsr
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

your map and your enemy's map joins each other at a single wall - so yours and your enemies forces can engage and pillage without ability to know how strong you or your enemy is before the combat. That might make a lot of tactics and planning beyond fun
Only if one of the players gets to be the invading aliens and can drop on any map with weapons ten times as powerful as everyone else's. :twisted:
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Juxtys

Post by Juxtys »

But there is what I've wrote:
"And using completely real time like in a game Virtual Villagers for economic System might also be very cool"
So in that system things like that might become impossible.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

"Too young and too skilless to make something of great value, althought with a lot of ideas"? :roll: There are several people in the Wesnoth community (including me, though I wouldn't want to sound arrogant) who have made significant contributions to the game at age sixteen or below...

Anyway, I don't see how this game idea is any differerent from your standard RTS just with a choke-pointed map.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Juxtys

Re: An unique idea for a stronghold alike game.

Post by Juxtys »

And what about gathering and building modes who change then you turn of the game? I mean that for example, you begin playing at 8 o'clock, build some houses and turn off the game. Then, next day, you launch the game and begin it with resources those houses made? Isn't this unique?
Lorbi

Post by Lorbi »

This is how much browsergames work like.
-- ^ --
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Juxtys wrote:And what about gathering and building modes who change then you turn of the game? I mean that for example, you begin playing at 8 o'clock, build some houses and turn off the game. Then, next day, you launch the game and begin it with resources those houses made? Isn't this unique?
Even as a 12 year old I still think this wouldn't be to hard.

You basically need to take the time function, (either that, or if its isn't available that function that gets the mili-seconds since 0:00 on the 1st January1970) and save the game position, and work out the resources that they would have created, so the game is basically running when you're logged out.

Browser games work like that though.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Easy to cheat though - all you need to do is set the system clock ahead a year and suddenly you have lots of resources. You can't cheat in a browser game because there' s a central server - it doesn't rely on your clock.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Juxtys

Post by Juxtys »

Cheat you say? :D At first glance, it is cheating, but at the second... Your computer rivals would have gathered the resources too and that might become a problem... :D
Juxtys

Post by Juxtys »

In the game like mine, I think dividing society into peasants and nobles. Than peasants produce resources and can become soldiers or sailors if needed, nobles can become leaders, captains, spies, elite warriors, engineers and scientists. And the rulling clan must be yours, or else :D
And once you capture a city and kill the clan leader, you get 60 percent of cities gold, while your leaders share 20 percent. The last 20 percent is left to the cities rulling clan. So, if you get defeated, you are left with only 20 percent of your former glory, not to mention razed buildings and lost people. In a game like that, the winners suffers too, since they too lose their soldiers.
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Juxtys wrote:In the game like mine, I think dividing society into peasants and nobles. Than peasants produce resources and can become soldiers or sailors if needed, nobles can become leaders, captains, spies, elite warriors, engineers and scientists. And the rulling clan must be yours, or else :D
And once you capture a city and kill the clan leader, you get 60 percent of cities gold, while your leaders share 20 percent. The last 20 percent is left to the cities rulling clan. So, if you get defeated, you are left with only 20 percent of your former glory, not to mention razed buildings and lost people. In a game like that, the winners suffers too, since they too lose their soldiers.
Great! Get to work!

Also, don't say your to lazy, you can learn, we might be to lazy to make games to, and then there would be no wesnoth, don't say your to young, 'cause I'm younger than you and I've made games, plenty of peeps under 16 have contributed to wesnoth.
Juxtys

Post by Juxtys »

And how should I start getting to work? I guess first I should find a decent Open Source Graphics Engine and it's supporting code language compiler. But what should I do later?