Standing and idle animations?

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

LOL, maybe an exception for that... I'm still waiting to see the Walking Corpse skipping idle anim that was in one of these threads make it into the game =D
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Qes

Post by Qes »

thespaceinvader wrote:LOL, maybe an exception for that... I'm still waiting to see the Walking Corpse skipping idle anim that was in one of these threads make it into the game =D
If they did put in the WC dance routine, i should think it would be the rarest of the rare.

I mean they could go all out. Fully and perfectly put out the whole routine perhaps even to music from a sound file.

The rarity would b ethat A) it would require X amount of Walking Corpses to be near each other, B) that their in a line (or rough line if horizontal) and C) should be on such large odds against of happening that it'd take a week long of running wesnoth with all the appropriate conditions met, before they actually wound up doing it.

This would mean that someone might see it once in a year or so. Now THATs an easter egg.

-Qes
Yes I use windows.
Yes I'm aware of what that means.
Yes I'm still gonna use windows.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I've finished off Redeth's thief idle animation, for both genders, and committed it to SVN as r22522. What I added was that the unit tosses the moneybag up in the air, and catches it; twice. I don't have time to prepare a gif of the thing, so if someone else is feeling sharp, they can go ahead and do so. Otherwise you can all see it in action in a few weeks, when the next inevitable release trots out.

The original animation was here:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 890#250890
jaques_strappe

Post by jaques_strappe »

I made idle animations for the dark adept. I suck at drawing so I just used existing adept and halo frames but I think it turned out alright.

also I didn't know how to make a .gif so I made a swf to preview and it can be seen here http://bestintha.biz/dadept

any and all feedback is appreciated

(included is male and female versions as well as the animation wml code)
Attachments
darkadept-idle.zip
(87.92 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

jaques_strappe wrote:I made idle animations for the dark adept. I suck at drawing so I just used existing adept and halo frames but I think it turned out alright.

also I didn't know how to make a .gif so I made a swf to preview and it can be seen here http://bestintha.biz/dadept
A tip: If you:
(a) say you suck at drawing; then
(b) attach your work in a non-standard format so it's inconvenient for people to look at,

then odds are ~90% of people won't view it.

What software do you use? We can probably help you turn it into a .gif.

Instructions for doing it with The GIMP can be found at: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 815#207815

P.S. Your work doesn't look bad to me, but it's hard to tell 'cos it's ultra-zoomed in when viewed in my browser.
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

That's not bad at all! I rather like it, the biggest problem I can think of being that it might be confused as the attack, although I don't think that's a major problem.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

thespaceinvader wrote:LOL, maybe an exception for that... I'm still waiting to see the Walking Corpse skipping idle anim that was in one of these threads make it into the game =D
The WCs have been redrawn since then, so the skipping anim would have to be redone from scratch before it could be used.

[EDIT] I stand corrected.
Last edited by irrevenant on March 8th, 2008, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

No, it doesn't. The Heavy-Metal Dark Adept would, but not this one.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

oooooooh

I want this one mainlined :)
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Darth Jordius

Re: Standing and idle animations?

Post by Darth Jordius »

All he does is flip it above his head, could you fit a few more frames in there?

Also, why isn't the jumping dwarfish fighter mainlined yet? :P
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
Check out Quietus's Minotaurs!
BLM

Post by BLM »

I've made lich idle animation.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Not much else to say.
Bawling Little Man...
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

BLM wrote:I've made lich idle animation.

Not much else to say.
:( I appreciate the effort, but it's a bare minimum of "select and slide" motion, with some lighting effects overlaid. It's not the kind of quality we need.

We need animations which feel 3-dimensional; to give us that true "polish" of professional sprite art, we need animations which rotate -into- the screen, rather than rotating on the screen. We need animations where you can't rotate something by just turning the image around - where you actually have to draw new images. We also need, actual motion of the character during the frames - what you did here doesn't count. Exaggerate the motions like a wild stage actor, or a looney-tunes character.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
eisfrei

Post by eisfrei »

I quickly did a idle animation for the ruffian. Maybe not the importanst unit, but I really like it.
Ruffian Idle
Ruffian Idle
ruffian-animation2.gif (5.15 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
Here the animation Frames:
Ruffian Idle Frames
Ruffian Idle Frames
Ruffian Animation Frames.png (5.67 KiB) Viewed 4477 times
Maybe the timing isn't correct, I've got no experience with it...
Attachments
Ruffian Idle.zip
Ruffian Idle Files
(47.31 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

I'm no sprite artist so sorry if this isn't valid, but in my opinion ,and from what I am gathering from what Jetryl has said above, more then just his hands need to move. For example; if he took a step forward(or to his side) and practiced swinging it like he's physicking himself up for a fight, or something, might be more along the lines of getting the 3D idea. Again I'm no artist thats just how I'm interpreting what Jetryl has already said. I could be wrong.
eisfrei

Post by eisfrei »

Mirion147 wrote:I'm no sprite artist so sorry if this isn't valid, but in my opinion ,and from what I am gathering from what Jetryl has said above, more then just his hands need to move. For example; if he took a step forward(or to his side) and practiced swinging it like he's physicking himself up for a fight, or something, might be more along the lines of getting the 3D idea. Again I'm no artist thats just how I'm interpreting what Jetryl has already said. I could be wrong.
You're right. Something else has to move - wich could be the head.
But I wouldn't move the feet - I've seen no idle animation where a unit just "walked around". What I could do is turning the head to us (like the peasant) and/or move/enlarge the upper body part (I don't know the word in english).