REQUEST - Edits/Polish to scenery items

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jetrel

REQUEST - Edits/Polish to scenery items

Post by Jetrel »

These are some images that need fixing in /trunk/data/core/images/scenery. Some of them need major edits, some of them need minor touchups, some need a complete redraw. Have at it, folks.

castle-ruins.png - needs a complete redraw; should actually look like random stone rubble that you'd see from a collapsed version of the existing castles, except not collected at one of the turrets, but knocked into the center of a hex.
circle-magic-glow.png - the magic circle under these is crap
circle-magic.png
lighthouse.png - needs an update to fit the same drawing style as our current villages
monolith3.png - snow doesn't collect like this on the side of a stone surface. Needs to be fixed.
rubble.png - needs to have the outlines removed - the terrain this was based off of could use the same treatment.
slab1.png - needs a proper shadow and needs highlighting on the edges
snowbits.png - needs to be the same color as our current snow tiles
trash.png - needs shading/highlighting, needs a shadow
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

How're these? They're not going to end up jet black, but I wanted to know whether you wanted it a flat circle or in perspective. The circle itself I did in svg, so it can easily get less or more complex as per your preference.

Edit: vaguely what would you like monolith3 to end up looking like? Sort of, windblown snow caught up on the base (rather than glued to the surface)?

Edit +1: If these circles come out, would you like me to redo the runes? They're kinda... grungy.

Edit TO THE MAX: JW asked if I could make a TC ellipse out of #2, so here it is , the separate parts are in the .zip :shock:
Attachments
ellipse-magic.zip
(18.43 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
ellipse-magic-selected.png
ellipse-magic-selected.png (3.3 KiB) Viewed 4110 times
circle-magic2.png
circle-magic2.png (2 KiB) Viewed 4108 times
circle-magic1.png
circle-magic1.png (3.19 KiB) Viewed 4107 times
Last edited by megane on February 20th, 2008, 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Telvannia

Post by Telvannia »

here is a bored messing around attempt at the monolith3.
Also got it with it in context:
Attachments
snow-m.png
snow-m.png (8.83 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
monolith3.png
monolith3.png (5.49 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Re: REQUEST - Edits/Polish to scenery items

Post by Rhuvaen »

Jetryl wrote:monolith3.png - snow doesn't collect like this on the side of a stone surface.
Umm, I always saw this as a marble sculpture - you kind of just blew that impression for me with one sentence. :shock: :lol:
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

I once posted a (extremely) large sequence of signposts (with one, two, and four 'arrows' etc. etc.) (I've lost the originals, maybe they're still somewhere on te forum if they're any use. Looking at it back, it was major overkill, so maybe you don't feel like using them...)

I'll start working on the rubble and the slab1
EDIT: I've attached the first version of my slab1.png

Me like props!
Mathijs
Attachments
slab with grass
slab with grass
slab1_grass.png (9.8 KiB) Viewed 4040 times
just the slab with it's shadow
just the slab with it's shadow
slab1.png (3.68 KiB) Viewed 4038 times
Last edited by Mathijs on February 21st, 2008, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Mathijs wrote:I once posted a (extremely) large sequence of signposts (with one, two, and four 'arrows' etc. etc.) (I've lost the originals, maybe they're still somewhere on te forum if they're any use. Looking at it back, it was major overkill, so maybe you don't feel like using them...)

I'll start working on the rubble and the slab1

Me like props!
Mathijs
Here they are.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

Aethaeryn wrote:Here they are.
Thanks!

Here's what I've done for the rubble. I might start over, because erasing the outlines made them somewhat fuzzy, I tried fixing it but it's difficult on another persons work...
Attachments
old style rubble
old style rubble
rubble_old.png (10.47 KiB) Viewed 4024 times
with grass
with grass
rubble.png (10.27 KiB) Viewed 4030 times
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

Telvannia wrote:here is a bored messing around attempt at the monolith3.
Comment on monolith3: It's not quite right IMHO... the snow should either have collected on one side and less on the other side, or equally on all sides...
The first situation when there is a wind direction involved, the second when everything's windstill.
Snow on the top is only possible when this top is flat and there's no wind, or irregular enough to catch snow with a (small) wind.

grtz,
Mathijs
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Mathjis: Your images look great. Please post any of the ones you haven't posted on a transparent background, as such (rubble for one).
Mathijs wrote:
Comment on monolith3: It's not quite right IMHO... the snow should either have collected on one side and less on the other side, or equally on all sides...
The first situation when there is a wind direction involved, the second when everything's windstill.
Snow on the top is only possible when this top is flat and there's no wind, or irregular enough to catch snow with a (small) wind.

grtz,
Mathijs
If you want to edit it and fix that, be my guest.
megane wrote:How're these? They're not going to end up jet black, but I wanted to know whether you wanted it a flat circle or in perspective. The circle itself I did in svg, so it can easily get less or more complex as per your preference.

Edit: vaguely what would you like monolith3 to end up looking like? Sort of, windblown snow caught up on the base (rather than glued to the surface)?
The geometric design is great, but it'd be nice if they were a bit more organic, rather than purely geometrical. Making them look a bit more patchy (like a pencil sketch-line) would be one way - another would be composing the lines out of closely-spaced runes, rather than a continuous line.
megane wrote:Edit +1: If these circles come out, would you like me to redo the runes? They're kinda... grungy.
They should have a little bit of grunge, but yeah. Keep the runes relatively large (about a goblin's footspan, at least). While you're at it - fix the perspective on them, too - IIRC, they were drawn as though they were parallel to the screen.
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

a bit more organic
:?:
It's red so it can be recolored if needed...
Attachments
Beam me up, Scotty
Beam me up, Scotty
example.png (13.18 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
circle-magic3.png
circle-magic3.png (3.87 KiB) Viewed 3953 times
hee hee! - little girl
Telvannia

Post by Telvannia »

Mathijs wrote:

grtz,
Mathijs
I made it so there was no wind. so it is pretty even all the way round, as for the snow cap, if there is no wind snow will settle on the top, maybe not in as much of a pile as i have it, but really how much wesnoth scenery is actually life like?

I can reduce/remove the snow on the top if people think that would be better.
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Telvannia: I think the problem is that the snow at the bottom is piled too high and too evenly to look natural. It looks a little like someone intentionally piled up snow around the pillar; if it was done by wind, it'd be a shallow, uneven pile, probably higher on one side due to wind. Also, it probably shouldn't have a noticeable seam against the surrounding snow. Try editing with the snow background on a different layer, so you can make sure it blends.

In other news, circle-magic-glow.png. My roommate probably thinks I'm a Satanist now.

Edit: Let me know if you like these; I can easily do the runes in the same style.
Attachments
circle-magic-glow.png
circle-magic-glow.png (7.27 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
WTF? Teleprot??
WTF? Teleprot??
bamf.png (13.62 KiB) Viewed 3855 times
hee hee! - little girl
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

megane wrote:
In other news, circle-magic-glow.png. My roommate probably thinks I'm a Satanist now.

Edit: Let me know if you like these; I can easily do the runes in the same style.
No, it is not a Satanic pentagram, a Satanic pentagram has 5 points with 2 points facing up , 3 facing down and the triangle is encased in 2 circles, but I really like your circle-magic-glow.png.

I am not Satanist either I know this simply from Wikipedia (everyone's favorite website)...
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

xD I know, it just sort of looks like a pentagram. Doesn't help that one of my backgrounds is of Witch Hunter Robin standing in front of a real one.
hee hee! - little girl
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

:? Nothing against the runes themselves (they look cool), but I think having the runes be in the same perspective as the units, rather than the terrain, kind of emphasizes the fact that the perspectives actually aren't the same... IMO it makes it look kind of weird. So it might be better to have them be in the perspective of the terrain instead. If you did these as SVGs it should be fairly easy to change.

Note that I'm not sure changing it is a good idea, since doing so makes the runes clash with the perspective of the units... the question is really, should the runes be sees as features of the terrain, or as essentially unit-like? I don't know. I lean towards terrain-like.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm