Problem, Bats right now are too good.

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JW

Post by JW »

Nebiros wrote:The glider can do all the same things, has ZoC, is significantly harder to kill and only slightly more expensive. Why aren't we discussing how "overpowered" it is?
Because it has 30-40% defense on all terrains and has poor Cold and Pierce resistancies.

And it has upkeep.

The reduction of the bat's village defense should solve all problems. Well done on the change.
nataS

Post by nataS »

They cost 13 gold, and don't even have plague.. I say they should be like true vampires and turn the enemy into a bat once they bite.
Haibane

Post by Haibane »

UngeheuerLich wrote:its just fair that the bat can kill the ulf. ulfs are really strong vs undead (adept killers without any risk)
Not really sure about such fairness, as ulfs are really weak against skeletons. I would say it compensates adept's weakness quite nice, as both skeleton and adept are cheaper than ulf. But considering whole picture, it might be fine anyway.
If it's all a dream, now wake me up. If it's all real, just kill me.
UngeheuerLich

Post by UngeheuerLich »

UngeheuerLich wrote: making bat 40% on villages actually doesn´t sound that bad. although maybe they should retain 60% on cave and water villages. to emphasize their use on those terrains. on normal land however the change seems appropriate.
ok, actually thats how they work, because water villages are village(village,water) d'oh! ;)
UngeheuerLich

Post by UngeheuerLich »

Haibane wrote:
UngeheuerLich wrote:its just fair that the bat can kill the ulf. ulfs are really strong vs undead (adept killers without any risk)
Not really sure about such fairness, as ulfs are really weak against skeletons. I would say it compensates adept's weakness quite nice, as both skeleton and adept are cheaper than ulf. But considering whole picture, it might be fine anyway.
Bats killing Ulfserkers is really exaggerated. Bats usually don´t kill ulfs. Even 3 bats don´t kill a full hp ulf.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

UngeheuerLich wrote:
Haibane wrote: Not really sure about such fairness, as ulfs are really weak against skeletons. I would say it compensates adept's weakness quite nice, as both skeleton and adept are cheaper than ulf. But considering whole picture, it might be fine anyway.
Bats killing Ulfserkers is really exaggerated. Bats usually don´t kill ulfs. Even 3 bats don´t kill a full hp ulf.
I've seen a full ulf lose to a bat...;) it was dusk, not day, but still<_<
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
UngeheuerLich

Post by UngeheuerLich »

Thrawn wrote: I've seen a full ulf lose to a bat...;) it was dusk, not day, but still<_<
i have seen stranger things than that... but 4-6 hits from an ulf kill a bat and you attack 4 times (with 40% to hit) while a bat attack only twice a "round" with about 70% to hit.

So in 2 "rounds" a bat hits about 3 times dealing 12 damage and regenrating 6 hp at most. A ulfserker hits about 3 hits doing 12 or 15 points of damage. 6 rounds, and the bat is dead, and the ulf is nearly dead.

But: this is the best case for the bat. If the ulf gets a "streak" hitting 3 times while not beeing hit, the bat is dead earlier... and this is not that rare...
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

It is very very possible for a resilient strong bat to be able to kill an ulf at night, between 60.4 and 25% to kill an ulf on grass, depending on traits.
Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius »

Weeksy wrote:It is very very possible for a resilient strong bat to be able to kill an ulf at night, between 60.4 and 25% to kill an ulf on grass, depending on traits.
Yes, any strong, resilient bat at First or Second watch can beat a fast intelligent ulfserker. How powerful the bat is. :roll: I think just lowering the village defense really solved the power problem for the bat

Edit: Fixed spelling error...I'm a perfectionist.
Last edited by Darth Jordius on February 16th, 2008, 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
Check out Quietus's Minotaurs!
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

that 25% is for a strong resilient ulf.
Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius »

Weeksy wrote:that 25% is for a strong resilient ulf.
Really? What about the stats for normal bat and ulfserker? That'd be a little different.
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
Check out Quietus's Minotaurs!
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

normal? What is normal? No traits? It's hard to get no traits in normal MP play. I'd dug up various stats a night ago, but my method of saving seemed to give me a blank document, so I'll have to redo them. Tell me what 'normal' is and I'll try to put that in.
UngeheuerLich

Post by UngeheuerLich »

still, 25% if you put your dwarf on bad terrain on night is not that great... and if you lose, you usuall don´t leave the ulf with low hp, but its very likely that it has still many hp left...
Kens_Mom

Post by Kens_Mom »

Why is everyone comparing a bat to an ulf? I think people are forgetting something very important here.

An ulf has horrible stats for its cost. Its only saving grace is that it has berserk, which is a double edged sword, and makes the unit very situational.

It's not supposed to attack units with a primary melee attack. At least not healthy ones. And if a melee unit attacks my ulf, I would expect my ulf to die, even on good terrain. Though admittedly, I wouldn't expect this from a mere lvl 0 unit, this is a special case. The bat as a drain attack, which is especially effective against low-def berserkers like ulfs. And the bat costs 13 gold, which is pretty expensive for a lvl 0.

So saying that a bat can kill an ulf is like saying that an ulf can kill a DA. Healthy melee units are supposed to counter ulfs (cost wise).

Stop picking on the ulf.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

What separates this from other cases is a bat is very fast.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE