Statistics

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
vicza

Statistics

Post by vicza »

I've already mentioned it in another section, but this would be more appropriate place for it.
I think it would be quite useful, if "Statistics" menu would show not only total statistiс, of entire campaign, but that of separate scenarios. Or, at least, the last or just finished one. Now I have to look into scenario save-file, if I need to see that statistic, I think, in menu it would be more convenient. Or nobody else needs it?

And another issue with statistics. I noticed, that in the Kills section killed enemy units are shown in my colors (i.e. red for scenarios; see attached image). Is it supposed to be so? It looks rather strange...
Well, I understand, that these enemies could belong to different teams, when they were not killed yet, but still, I think, it would be better, if they had some other color, than that of player.
Attachments
stat2.PNG
stat2.PNG (295.05 KiB) Viewed 3057 times
Viliam
Translator

Re: Statistics

Post by Viliam »

vicza wrote:it would be better, if they had some other color, than that of player.
I suggest gray. There is no team with that color, so there will not be confusion with one specific player; and also gray color seems good for dead people. Or black, maybe.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Viliam wrote:I suggest gray. There is no team with that color, so there will not be confusion with one specific player; and also gray color seems good for dead people. Or black, maybe.
I'm pretty sure there actually is a black team in Wesnoth - it's team #9 or something so you almost never see it.

Grey sounds good.
rchandra

Post by rchandra »

vicza wrote:I've already mentioned it in another section, but this would be more appropriate place for it.
I think it would be quite useful, if "Statistics" menu would show not only total statistiс, of entire campaign, but that of separate scenarios. Or, at least, the last or just finished one.
Or the current one?
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

I love the statistics we have in Wesnoth. However, there should be a few changes/minor tweaks.

In the campaign Northern Rebirth, at the place I get the 2 white mages, the druidess, and the fire drake, that the kills later show up on the Fire Drakes Losses statistics. Every undead/merman/sea monster/spider death I inflict in that scenario shows up as losses when the Fire Drake becomes able to recruit his own drakes for the campaign.
(northern Rebirth is my favorite campaign btw, kudos to it's development crew)

Another statistic I'd like to see(and had a thread a few months ago about that seemed to be agreed upon) is individual kills. I'd like to see just how many kills each character I have records throughout the game. Not only is it just for my love of statistics, but it would help me better gauge the merits of the units and just what traits are the better ones. I know some units are pretty much self evident of this, but others aren't.

As to showing the separate statistics per scenario, that too would be useful and fun for those of us who love the numbers. Perhaps it's all too much to add, but I don't think it violates any KISS principle and in fact, makes the learning curve easier.
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows
vicza

Post by vicza »

Edward V Riley wrote:As to showing the separate statistics per scenario, that too would be useful and fun for those of us who love the numbers. Perhaps it's all too much to add
I'm not sure it would be too much to add because statistic of this kind is already implemented. Like this:

Code: Select all

[scenario]
		scenario="The Valley of Statues"
		[team]
			[recruits]
				Elvish Fighter="3"
				Elvish Shaman="2"
				Gryphon Rider="2"
			[/recruits]
			[recalls]
				Dwarvish Fighter="1"
				Dwarvish Steelclad="1"
				Dwarvish Thunderguard="1"
				Dwarvish Ulfserker="1"
				Elvish Marksman="1"
				Grand Knight="1"
				Gryphon Rider="1"
				Red Mage="1"
			[/recalls]
			[advances]
				Dwarvish Berserker="1"
				Dwarvish Lord="1"
				Dwarvish Steelclad="1"
			[/advances]
			[deaths]
				Dwarvish Berserker="1"
				Elvish Fighter="1"
				Gryphon Rider="3"
			[/deaths]
			[killed]
				Arch Mage="1"
				Cockatrice="4"
				Goblin Knight="1"
				Gryphon="11"
				Orcish Grunt="3"
				Orcish Warlord="1"
				Red Mage="1"
				Troll="3"
				Vampire Bat="4"
			[/killed]
		[/team]
It only lacks graphical interface.
Another statistic I'd like to see(and had a thread a few months ago about that seemed to be agreed upon) is individual kills.
And I'd suggest another statistic's item: unused units. I mean, the units a user have recruited/recalled in this scenario, but which never fought. I think, it might be useful, especially for beginners and for new campaigns.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

vicza wrote:And I'd suggest another statistic's item: unused units. I mean, the units a user have recruited/recalled in this scenario, but which never fought. I think, it might be useful, especially for beginners and for new campaigns.
Seconded. Overrecruiting/overrecalling is a common newbie mistake. This might help with that, and is interesting even if it doesn't.
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

I agree. I was very guilty of overrecruiting when I first started playing. Same with overrecalling. It's a lesson I'm still coping with as it's one of my major fallacies.
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows