Dwarves

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mirion147

Dwarves

Post by Mirion147 »

Yo how many different dwarf factions are there cause i was thinkin bout startin a new faction
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Yes, Wesnoth needs more dwarves. How about they compliment each of the elves? Wesnoth already has Wood Elves (mainline), Desert Elves (mainline campaign), Dark Elves (EE), Sidhe Elves (EE/IE), and Swamp Elves. Let's make Wood Dwarves, Desert Dwarves, Wild Dwarves, Dark Dwarves, and Swamp Dwarves!

The Dark Dwarves can even have the infamous Dwarvish Draining Thunderserker, the most balanced unit ever! (All the other units are just imbalanced compared to it.)

Warning: This post is full of sarcasm and makes a point against unoriginal factions.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Mirion147

dwarves

Post by Mirion147 »

ok but the wild dwarves i already got an idea bout
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I would suggest: if you can create a faction which is unique and interesting that is composed of dwarves outside their typical terrain, go ahead and do so. It would make the game more interesting. But make sure it IS unique - a whole new set of units and artwork, with basically the only thing staying the same being the use of the name dwarves and them being short and beardy :). An excellent example to follow is zhukov's creation of the steppe orcs.

But if all you're going to do is recolour and rename a few units and leave it at that, it's probably not worth bothering, as Aethaeryn pointed out.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

A long time back I posted the concept and stats for dwarves who fought well in legions, and had better defence in the open, but even worse defence in woods, and not as good a defence in moutains. Basicaly melle tanks centered around standard bearers, and supported by balista.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

Aethaeryn was joking about the wild dwarves....

A faction of dwarves that live in Wesnoth or amongst men seems a better idea than swamps /desert/ etc dwarves....
You like gold? you don't care about Kings or wizards? You hate elves? then be a Griffoon Lad
kossa

Post by kossa »

Dwarves lack of magical units. A less armored and technological faction but more lightweigth and arcane faction of chaotic type could be used as counterpart to normal dwarves (dark or night dwarves). They could have mages, priests and golems units, for example, or have all units with some kind of arcane attack, be it melee or ranged or both. They could have some undead/spirit type units.

Code: Select all

roaming ancestor>cursed soul>tormented soul
                 >angered ancestor>vengefull spirit
magic puppet>iron golem>steel golem
            >mud golem>earth golem
            >stone golem>granit golem>colossus
            >copper golem>bronze golem
guard>temple guard>god guardian (1 different for each god)
     >guardian
novice>mage>sorceror>dark mage or warlock
                    >flame keeper
      >priest>healer priest
             >dark priest or curser
noble>prince>king>dark ruler
That's only an example.
Se é chato kossa / Se kossa faz ferida / Se faz ferida doi / Se doi vai ao médico / Se vai ao médico tem de pagar / Se tem de pagar é chato...
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Maybe you could make this dwarf faction more towards the wow dwarves (please not i am not a wow fan, i find the game rather repeatative - though the art work is simply stunning)

ie.More based around dwarvish inventions and contraptions.

But i do agree with thespaceinvader. Simple recolours arent worth the minutes used to create them. Its much more satisfying to the player and the artist to create unique art.

But i like the idea, im always like trying out new factions on wesnoth :)
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

But you could do that with any race, it wouldn't be very dwarf specific.
You like gold? you don't care about Kings or wizards? You hate elves? then be a Griffoon Lad
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

kossa wrote:Dwarves lack of magical units. A less armored and technological faction but more lightweigth and arcane faction of chaotic type could be used as counterpart to normal dwarves (dark or night dwarves). They could have mages, priests and golems units, for example, or have all units with some kind of arcane attack, be it melee or ranged or both. They could have some undead/spirit type units.

Code: Select all

roaming ancestor>cursed soul>tormented soul
                 >angered ancestor>vengefull spirit
magic puppet>iron golem>steel golem
            >mud golem>earth golem
            >stone golem>granit golem>colossus
            >copper golem>bronze golem
guard>temple guard>god guardian (1 different for each god)
     >guardian
novice>mage>sorceror>dark mage or warlock
                    >flame keeper
      >priest>healer priest
             >dark priest or curser
noble>prince>king>dark ruler
That's only an example.
I feel that runesmith and loremaster are better names for dwarven mages. The name mage and sorceror is too weidely used in other factions.

And for the noble line, it sounds too elvish. Brethren>Baron>King
Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius »

Aethaeryn wrote:Something about sarcasm in a size nobody could possibly read with copying the text.
Gosh, I hate you people! :lol: How could you speak so disrespectfully of the Thunderserkers dude? Everyone knows they're on the verge of mainline.

Really though, I think it's great for you to want to start a new era. I've tried and failed because I tried to do too much for my work ethic. Here is a list of factions that are being worked on or maybe have been dropped for a short amount of time.Here is a list of factions that are being worked on or maybe have been dropped for a short amount of time. (It's the Sticky at the top of the Faction contributions forum.)
Last edited by Darth Jordius on February 14th, 2008, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
Check out Quietus's Minotaurs!
Angry Andersen

Post by Angry Andersen »

Why not build on what is already there? The current Knalgan Alliance is only 50% dwarves. How about developing new units that replace the outlaws in that faction in order to get a pure dwarven faction? (I'm not suggesting that such a change should happen in mainlaine!)
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

i think that seperateing dwarves completely from their heritage is not wise since the dwarves all came to wenoth and were not spread out across it. i have a very short and probobly not very good history for some dwarves that i will attach later
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Angry Andersen wrote:Why not build on what is already there? The current Knalgan Alliance is only 50% dwarves. How about developing new units that replace the outlaws in that faction in order to get a pure dwarven faction? (I'm not suggesting that such a change should happen in mainlaine!)
EE has an all-dwarf faction, using some steampunk vehicles and an inexplicably fast Dwarvish Runner. Those little legs can apparently move pretty fast.
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

if you just add on to whats there what could you add without throwing off the balance off not only the whole dwarven race but the history of wesnoth. i think that creating new factions will be better for the overall world of wenoth