Desert Elves

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Master Stilgar wrote:Ironically enough, if it's the one I think you mean, it's available on turin's graphics library page. Someone should probably move it to Neo's page, I suppose.
Uh, yeah, that's it. :/ There's actually a bunch of stuff on my page that shouldn't be there...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Post by Federalist marshal »

turin wrote:Is he supposed to not be wearing a shirt? It doesn't really like like it, honestly.
Well, the torso is borrowed from Kaleh's sprite, so, IMO I think it's fine without the tattoo, which I really seem to have bombed.
Karo

Post by Karo »

Federalist marshal wrote:
turin wrote:Is he supposed to not be wearing a shirt? It doesn't really like like it, honestly.
Well, the torso is borrowed from Kaleh's sprite, so, IMO I think it's fine without the tattoo, which I really seem to have bombed.
Well, the problem with Kaleh's sprite in regard to your current one is that the angle is different. Kaleh's sprite kind of has his shoulder towards the viewing angle, so it's more of a 60 degree viewpoint rather than the conventional 45. What I did for my desert hunter was use the elvish fighter torso, slimmed down a bit (on account of clothing and armor) and recolored using flesh tones.
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

I used Karo's hunter's torso in place of Kaleh's. Is this an improvement?
Attachments
DesertFighter12.png
DesertFighter12.png (4.67 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
Karo

Post by Karo »

Hm, my mistake. The angle of my hunter's torso is wrong for your sprite, too. It needs to be shifted down towards the left of the sprite, just as Kaleh's torso would need to be shifted up on the left side.

Also, it seems like the unit's left arm is a bit disconnected from the current torso. And the right arm and lower body still seem kind of messy. Still not quite sure what's being portrayed.
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Attack frames for the shaman (these have no mask, but that's a 5 second fix if Mist decides he wants it).

This brings up a problem: the mainline Shaman's healing frames have a sort of splashy-looking halo thing applied on top of them, which I can't replicate... anybody (Jetryl perhaps?) have it separated from the Shaman herself? Or should I just ad-lib a new one?
Attachments
Staff
Staff
shaman-attack.png (2.24 KiB) Viewed 4218 times
Entangle
Entangle
shaman-attack2.png (2.2 KiB) Viewed 4217 times
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

So does anyone have a sprite that I can use in which torso is at the right angle? It would be easier and faster for me to make the next few refinements if I had that.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

megane wrote:This brings up a problem: the mainline Shaman's healing frames have a sort of splashy-looking halo thing applied on top of them, which I can't replicate... anybody (Jetryl perhaps?) have it separated from the Shaman herself? Or should I just ad-lib a new one?
:shock: I coulda sworn I already did that. But in checking, no I didn't. So I'll do it now - I'll post again when I'm done. The halos will be separate, in the halo directory; don't merge them with your shaman images, keep them separate, and use them as halo images.
JW

Post by JW »

turin wrote:
Master Stilgar wrote:Ironically enough, if it's the one I think you mean, it's available on turin's graphics library page. Someone should probably move it to Neo's page, I suppose.
Uh, yeah, that's it. :/ There's actually a bunch of stuff on my page that shouldn't be there...
I think anytime you link or upload a pic to the site it loadds it to your page, whether you made it or not. I THINK.

Anyway, this project is moving along quite nicely :)
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

JW wrote:
turin wrote: Uh, yeah, that's it. :/ There's actually a bunch of stuff on my page that shouldn't be there...
I think anytime you link or upload a pic to the site it loadds it to your page, whether you made it or not. I THINK.
I'm pretty sure that's how it used to work, but nowadays there's an intermediate page that the bot drops them to, presumably so they can be checked before getting added into someone's page.

It's worth noting, the graphics library pages are editable like any other wiki page, so if there's something on yours that shouldn't be there you can move/remove it. I've done it once with mine.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Master Stilgar wrote:It's worth noting, the graphics library pages are editable like any other wiki page, so if there's something on yours that shouldn't be there you can move/remove it. I've done it once with mine.
I'm lazy. ;) Plus, with that neoriceisgood sprite sheet, it wouldn't be good for it to be lost and I don't think it's on neo's page, so it shouldn't just be deleted.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Karo

Post by Karo »

The middle frame of the bola throw. The hunter has his back to the viewer, And is mid-swing. The first frame will be the shifting of his feet, the third frame will be the follow-through. This one was completely raw, but I thought it turned out reasonably well. Only problem I have is the head in regard to its size, placement, and the shading of the hair.
Attachments
hunter-ranged-2.png
hunter-ranged-2.png (1.72 KiB) Viewed 4116 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Jetryl wrote:
megane wrote:This brings up a problem: the mainline Shaman's healing frames have a sort of splashy-looking halo thing applied on top of them, which I can't replicate... anybody (Jetryl perhaps?) have it separated from the Shaman herself? Or should I just ad-lib a new one?
:shock: I coulda sworn I already did that. But in checking, no I didn't. So I'll do it now - I'll post again when I'm done. The halos will be separate, in the halo directory; don't merge them with your shaman images, keep them separate, and use them as halo images.

They're done; if you can't wait till the next release, you can download the halo images here:
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/wesnoth/trun ... alo/elven/
and the shaman images here:
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/wesnoth/trun ... lves-wood/

The WML is:

Code: Select all

[healing_anim]
        start_time=-200
        [frame]
            duration=55
            image="units/elves-wood/shaman-heal1.png"
        [/frame]
        [frame]
            duration=55
            image="units/elves-wood/shaman-heal2.png"
        [/frame]
        [frame]
            duration=55
            image="units/elves-wood/shaman-heal3.png"
            halo=halo/elven/shaman-heal-halo-1.png
        [/frame]
        [frame]
            duration=55
            image="units/elves-wood/shaman-heal4.png"
            halo=halo/elven/shaman-heal-halo-2.png
        [/frame]
        [frame]
            duration=55
            image="units/elves-wood/shaman-heal5.png"
            halo=halo/elven/shaman-heal-halo-3.png
        [/frame]
        [frame]
            duration=55
            image="units/elves-wood/shaman-heal6.png"
            halo=halo/elven/shaman-heal-halo-4.png
        [/frame]
        [frame]
            duration=55
            image="units/elves-wood/shaman-heal7.png"
            halo=halo/elven/shaman-heal-halo-5.png
        [/frame]
        [frame]
            duration=55
            image="units/elves-wood/shaman-heal8.png"
            halo=halo/elven/shaman-heal-halo-6.png
        [/frame]
        [frame]
            duration=55
            image="units/elves-wood/shaman-heal9.png"
            halo=halo/elven/shaman-heal-halo-7.png
        [/frame]
        [frame]
            duration=30
            image="units/elves-wood/shaman-heal9.png"
        [/frame]
    [/healing_anim]
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:eng: Also, I have -not- separated halo from unit on the shyde, yet, which I hope to do before 1.4 goes out. Sometime soon, probably. In that case, that one's been sitting around undone for a long time - the unit sprites on the rest of the unit are up-to-date, but the ones under the healing animation date from the previous revision.

I've been putting that off because, given the identical colors, it's hard to see the difference under all the sparklies. But I should get around to that if only for the utility of having the animation separated.
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Karo: here's the shading thingie I mentioned, plus a couple other little tweaks... hopefully it's helpful?

Jetryl: thanks, that helps a lot xD

EDIT: Also, Shaman defense frame.
Attachments
oh god, my hair!
oh god, my hair!
shaman-defend.png (1.74 KiB) Viewed 3887 times
don't worry, i'll save you... and i'll do it... without a shirt!
don't worry, i'll save you... and i'll do it... without a shirt!
hunter_178.png (2.29 KiB) Viewed 3964 times
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl