*Unofficial* 1.3.15 for Mac OS X

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ulissesroc

*Unofficial* 1.3.15 for Mac OS X

Post by ulissesroc »

As specified in the title, I've made an unofficial build for Mac OS X, tested on Powermac g4 with Tiger, iBook g4 with Leopard, and Macintel with Leopard (with Rosetta, since I unchecked the UB option on XCode; asap I will replace it with the UB one, but it's working well with Rosetta).

This was intended for myself, but then I decided to make them available to the whole community.

If you can't wait to get the official ones (and I repeat, this is not the official one), you can have them by going to

*** link removed: refer to http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 524#281524
for the latest version

(by just clicking the url, you should have the dmg downloaded on Safari; on Linux this is not working, since the browser thinks he could handle it, displaying thus the content of the dmg)

The binaries are made with XCode 2.5, following the instructions provided by the official developers, and they work on the systems specified above.

If there will be requests, I will upload also the Lite Version, which I've not provided yet for space issues on my server.

Feedback is appreciated (and negative feedback overall, which leads to improvements).

EDIT: at 10:00 (GMT +1), the UB is available one the server, by clicking the same link. So Rosetta is no more needed to make it run on the intel processor.
Last edited by ulissesroc on February 13th, 2008, 8:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Congratulations on getting it done before I could even finish download the latest version (just finished downloading the source). :)
Take a breath.
ulissesroc

Post by ulissesroc »

And it took all night with the powermac 500 mhz :lol:

Anyway, it's ready since monday, I've uploaded it tuesday, but I cheated in some way, since I read in the forum of the 1.3.15 before the announce on the main page.

BTW, is it working for you??
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Record time with my 1.5 GHz 1.2 in PowerBook G4 :P : 1 hr 50 minutes. But my version is specifically tunes for Leopard on it.
Take a breath.
BMintern

Post by BMintern »

Compile times really take that long? On my Gentoo dual core 1.6GHz laptop, compiling and installing the latest Wesnoth takes no more than 15 minutes, even while multi-tasking. Is there something in the packaging procedure that slows things down?
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

What level of optimisation and which version of gcc are you using?
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
BMintern

Post by BMintern »

Me?

gcc-4.1.2

CFLAGS="-march=athlong64 -O2 -msse3 -pipe -fgcse-after-reload"
CXXFLAGS="$CFLAGS -fno-enforce-eh-specs"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"

Then again, I just remembered that I'm using ccache, so that's probably speeding up some parts of the compilation process. Additionally, I typically mount /var/tmp/portage in memory so that most intermediate files during compilation never touch the hard drive.

Obviously, the simple fact that mine is dual core and slightly faster would be expected to cut the time down to about 45 minutes, so perhaps ccache and compilation in memory is responsible for much of the rest of the speedup. Then again, if I didn't care about multi-tasking while compiling, I could change it to -j4 or -j5, in addition to not consuming some of the cycles, so it could be even faster. Who knows?
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

When compiling I use directly the official source in a new folder without using the previous official releases, and thus recompiling all of the source files from scratch with XCode 3.0. After all, that's probably the longest part of building, not the linking and copying of data files (that took me about 15 minutes only for the BfW app file, I don't remember for the Editor app).
Take a breath.
ulissesroc

Post by ulissesroc »

Then it would be useful to know if your version can be the server, if there's the editor, if it's build for two arch (PPC and INTEL; now I'm uploading the UB version).

And if it's build from scratch, as we did..

BTW yesterday I was trying to compile on a Macintel, and it was amazingly faster than my old powermac..
db0

Post by db0 »

Even when compiling from scratch in an unoptimized Ubuntu installation on a laptop, it doesn't take more than 30mins here :-/
BMintern

Post by BMintern »

ulissesroc wrote:Then it would be useful to know if your version can be the server, if there's the editor, if it's build for two arch (PPC and INTEL; now I'm uploading the UB version).

And if it's build from scratch, as we did..

BTW yesterday I was trying to compile on a Macintel, and it was amazingly faster than my old powermac..
Ahh... I see. I know nothing of the packaging procedure, that's why I was curious. So you are actually compiling several different versions of Wesnoth for each game configuration and OSX architecture? No wonder it takes so long...

Anyways, nothing more to see here. If I ever move to Mac, I'll be grateful for the work you're doing.
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

It would be useful, but I think that the official package might come out anytime soon from Iwa, and I don't know where to get a good free host. But maybe I'll help if there's demand.
Take a breath.
ulissesroc

Post by ulissesroc »

BMintern wrote: Ahh... I see. I know nothing of the packaging procedure, that's why I was curious. So you are actually compiling several different versions of Wesnoth for each game configuration and OSX architecture? No wonder it takes so long...

Anyways, nothing more to see here. If I ever move to Mac, I'll be grateful for the work you're doing.
Thanks. Basically what takes so long is making it native also for macintel. Since it's another arch, you have to simulate, in certain way, the instructions of that architecture. And that could take very long.
appleide

Post by appleide »

db0 wrote:Even when compiling from scratch in an unoptimized Ubuntu installation on a laptop, it doesn't take more than 30mins here :-/
But if you have to do it for ppc and intel at the same time... It'd be more than 30 minutes, I'd imagine. (50 minutes maybe?)... and if you were using a Pentium 800mhz instead of what you have now...
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

It's almost going to be 2 weeks since the official source release. May I suggest to the dev's to link to ulissesroc's unofficial build for the time being? Not at the direct download section at the top of the main page, but probably a link in the news section. Thanks for your consideration.
Take a breath.