Those hungry, hungry wolves.

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Those hungry, hungry wolves.

Post by Doc Paterson »

Is it me, or do an awful lot of campaigns have orc encounters in which the orc leader says something like "You will be meat for our wolves," or "our wolves will have meat tonight," etc. etc. Maybe it's just odd luck, but the last three campaigns that I've played have had some variant on this line. It's kind of intimidating the first time you hear it, but after that, it gets a bit comical. (I can almost hear the heroes saying "Yeah, yeah, we know, meat for your wolves and all that...")

Maybe it's just something that they teach you to say at the Orc Academy.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Well, they were going to yell "For the Swarm," but that was taken, so they hired a PR firm to come up with a new slogan. In fact, Black Eye rose to power with his highly effective campaign drive, "Black Eye in '08: No Child Not Fed to a Wolf."
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius »

It's called "borrowing" dialogue.

What the... dialogue isn't in the spell checker? Weird...
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
Check out Quietus's Minotaurs!
Trau

Re: Those hungry, hungry wolves.

Post by Trau »

Doc Paterson wrote: "our wolves will have meat tonight,"
Wait... so what are the wolves eataing on the other nights? O_o
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

What is really disappointing is when they are fighting Woses. You've never seen sad until you've seen a Wolf spend all night chewing on a bunch of branches.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Trau wrote:
Doc Paterson wrote: "our wolves will have meat tonight,"
Wait... so what are the wolves eataing on the other nights? O_o
Attachments
wolves-feeding.png
wolves-feeding.png (69.88 KiB) Viewed 5066 times
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Well, I remember suggesting the line 'wolves will eat well tonight, boys' or something similar when ESR was revising SotBE. I felt that the orcs needed more taunts and boasts in their dialogue, although I agree that recycling the same line over and over can get repetitive and silly. He used a slightly modified version of the line. Honestly, I wasn't happy with a lot of the orc dialogue (e.g. "human worms") and I feel he writes dwarves much better than he writes orcs.

Here were some of the taunts, laments, and comebacks I used in my first MP cooperative scenario. As you can see I don't mind if the villain sounds a bit silly sometimes as well as ruthless:

Code: Select all

#hero deaths

{LW_HERODEATH (Trapper) ("It can not be! Not like this...") ("Ngahaha! Human flesh tonight, boys.")} 
{LW_HERODEATH (Mage of Light) ("I die for a cause greater than myself...") ("No more healing for you! Ha ha ah!")} 
{LW_HERODEATH (Royal Guard) ("You fiend! I have underestimated you...") ("And it was your last mistake. Mua-ha-ha!")} 
{LW_HERODEATH (Dark Sorcerer) ("May I change sides?") ("No, sorry.")} 

# villain taunts

{LW_TAUNT (Royal Guard) ("You think that fancy sword and armor can save you? Ha!") ("Enough! I am ready to end this.")} 
{LW_TAUNT (Trapper) ("Hey, what do you think you are doing!?") ("Oh, nothing. Killing you, looting your corpse, etc.")} 
{LW_TAUNT (Mage of Light) ("That bright light! I hate it... go away!") ("All must be cleansed. Prepare yourself.")} 
{LW_TAUNT (Dark Sorcerer) ("Trying to save the day, is that it?") ("No, you are in my way. I dislike sharing power.")} 
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Zookeeper, that picture is amazing.

:lol:
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

needs some tasty people meat, imo

Post by Kestenvarn »

CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

Somebody should write an epic campaign about a vegetarian wolf tribe.
Glory in Blood...Needs Programming Help!

If you have time, check out my ongoing serial story...
The Hidden: Secrets of the Future's Past
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Mmm, Spearman.
Attachments
wolfmeat.gif
wolfmeat.gif (572.45 KiB) Viewed 4958 times
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
TruePurple

Post by TruePurple »

Some possible orc things to say thought rather quickly up when tired so probably aren't that good but..

"You will not show respect for our greatness?! Then our numbers and strength will grind your insignificant people into the ground. Your blood as fertilizer for our future crops in our new land."

To elves
"Watch us burn your precious woods then join the ashes!"

To dwarves
"We shall collapse your mines and let you die in darkness within!" (obviously scenario specific, and you wouldn't think the orcs would give advanced warning of such, but then they aren't always very smart)

"Orcs just wish to dominate in peace, but if its a fight you want, then prepare to die!"

"Ah, yes. Some training dummies for our orc soldiers to hone their skills on. What a kind offering you humans provide"
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

megane wrote:Mmm, Spearman.
:D

a new idle animation?
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

TruePurple wrote:Some possible orc things to say thought rather quickly up when tired so probably aren't that good but..

"You will not show respect for our greatness?! Then our numbers and strength will grind your insignificant people into the ground. Your blood as fertilizer for our future crops in our new land."

To elves
"Watch us burn your precious woods then join the ashes!"

To dwarves
"We shall collapse your mines and let you die in darkness within!" (obviously scenario specific, and you wouldn't think the orcs would give advanced warning of such, but then they aren't always very smart)

"Orcs just wish to dominate in peace, but if its a fight you want, then prepare to die!"

"Ah, yes. Some training dummies for our orc soldiers to hone their skills on. What a kind offering you humans provide"
Not bad, but I think some minor adjustments would make them better. For example:

"Ah! Some dummies for our grunts to hone their skills! What a kind offering!"