Brotherhood of Light - Multiplayer RPG Scenario

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

FireMaster

Post by FireMaster »

I DID!
Just because I'm a master of fire doesn't mean I'll light your "uber candle"
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Yeah, Bane was broken when I tried it recently. Also, Miracle, during this same run yesterday, only healed to 42 hp. No other healing spells worked at or above 42 hp.

I'll try to look at the code so I'm giving more useful info.

EDIT: After taking a while to look it over, I've finally figured the healing problems out.

The problem is: modifications suck. When you store your variable=caster, $max_hitpoints really does just equal whatever the base for the unit is (if you're a MoL, then that's 42, which is why you can't heal if you've got over 42 hp).

To get around this, what you need is to skip the [advance] stuff, skip using modifications at all and just alter the variables yourself when you change stuff.

TL does this, and I'm just copying what he did in my Modular RPG, by using a post advance event to modify max hp and max exp as variables. This way, when you want to check a unit's values, you don't get old ones.

I'm about to make a thread in ideas about all this.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Bane, Capture and Scourge are currently broken as a result of the fact that using radius has changed in 1.3.8 Those spells will be fixed in the next version of BoL.

Thanks Ken Oh. That healing thing had been confusing me.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
zharmad

Post by zharmad »

Great work on the scenario, I like the detailed work...
Registered to make a few comments/bugs:

- The potion of swiftness at Old Man Morridon decreases by 2 when you buy it once... ???
*edit: I think it's in shops.cfg under morridon2
- Actually, once the goblins in Borol are massacred (I sent them there eforehand,) you can no longer visit the Old Man to buy stuff. I was coming back to get a few more potions after I did the orcs in NW but I can't trigger the shops. Somehow I can't even get the massacre message to trigger when I teleported to Borol. Just goblins dead on the ground and no explanations. :/ Don't know why.
Had non-binary saves to check this, but the variable 'goblin' seem to be set to 'massacre'.

I'm still using 1.3.7. :)

edit: I meet this well east of the monastery, which had no bucket, right? Well, someone else who had one went over there later to try something - but nothing happened. Bug? <- checked BoL.cfg, the tag at the end of event where you had a bucket to use should be placed inside the endif tags.

Code: Select all

{VARIABLE well done}
{VARIABLE_OP inventory[$side_number].bucket format 0}
[/if]
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Bob, if you haven't yet started altering how hitpoints are gained through AMLA, then you should take a look at a way zookeeper thought of to find a unit's true max_hitpoints: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18257
Caeb

Post by Caeb »

finally won the game by turn 911 playing alone with just a single white mage... I revealed pretty much all of the map and killed all of the enemies, except for those ghosts that kept coming back every turn... also, I tried to follow the "Code" each time, so I probably missed out on some interesting alternate pathways and items...

since I didn't free the elf in the rogue forest or pick up the magic elven amulet after clearing the elf forest, I thought I'd have a tough time with the final boss, with its 90% resistance to all default damage types... then I realized the utility of the level 4 poison spell, saving me quite a bit of time of doing 1 damage hits...

overall an epic RPG masterfully made, although I highly recommend using all 4 white mages, each specializing in a different fast move terrain to speed things up, even when there's fewer than 4 players...
Icekiss

Post by Icekiss »

For me, this scenario (v. 0.4.1) makes wesnoth crash with a memory access violation, as soon as I select it (push the OK button).

wesnoth version: 1.3.10

console output:
set locale to 'C'
loadscreen: filesystem counter = 296
loadscreen: binarywml counter = 0
loadscreen: setconfig counter = 240
loadscreen: parser counter = 68892
Speicherzugriffsfehler
EDIT:
I am seeing the same problem with "The Fall Of Trent" (2.3) and "A New Land: The Last Stand"(patch k7) [the other New Land maps fail with "Invalid starting position (-999,-999) for the leader of side 1"]
However, I can play "Heroes Arena" and "The High Seas" without problems, so its not as if no multiplayer scenarios where loading... Hope this helps figuring out what is wrong. :D
If you are a debian linux user, take a look at my program: http://deb-install.sourceforge.net/
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

There's a problem with having un-seen AI sides.

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 050#262050

It's fixed in svn, so either upgrade or downgrade to 1.3.9.
Icekiss

Post by Icekiss »

Thank you for the response, Ken Oh! It made me try this scenario out again once I had Wesnoth 1.3.11 compiled. And lo and behold: It runs, it does... :D

Observations:
-One of my mages keeps getting too many additional mana points on advance: 8 instead of 4 (and yes, I am selecting spells on his advance) :P
-The 4. battle spell is very disappointing: One shot at 30 damage instead of 4*7 (Lightbeam), AND you have to pay 17(!) mana to be allowed that one shot??

Will add more observations as I run across them. It's definitely a lot of fun to play, thumbs up. :)
If you are a debian linux user, take a look at my program: http://deb-install.sourceforge.net/
Symbolis

Post by Symbolis »

Loading(well, attempting to load) a saved Brotherhood of Light seems to crash the server. :oops:

I'd report more...but nothing to report. Can't seem to get a server installed right on this computer, to check that end of it.(It is just --enable-server when you ./configure, right?)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Very neat scenario! I haven't played it probably quite even halfway yet, though.

A few small details that could be improved:

- it wasn't clear at all that you must just help Godfrey kill the bandit, not help Godfrey by killing the bandit. Would be good to clarify that a bit, I think.
- the bola attack from the armoury doesn't have the attack icon set (I didn't buy other weapons so I don't know if it affects others).
- often you can't undo moves you make (like just moving up to an enemy to check damage calculations). I know you sometimes just need to do some checks or effects on moveto that invalidate undo, but I'd guess you could still optimize and remove that nasty effect in some places (for example: poisoning units in the poison river when they end their turn, not when they step in the water). I don't know how much trouble it would be as I haven't really examined the WML.
- it wasn't completely clear that paying Kaspian the 200g training camp fee allows everyone to train there, instead of just the one who paid.
- mountaineering doesn't cut your hill movement cost. Maybe it could instead set mountain movement cost to 2 and hill to 1?

Good job! I'll comment more when I've finished it. ;)

EDIT: Also, BOL_SPELL_MIRACLE should probably use an [object] to do the full healing, because max_hitpoints doesn't take HP modifying [object]s and such into account. I had my MoL always heal only up to 50 HP when using miracle, although he had >60 max HP.

EDIT 2: Also, unit.max_hitpoints is relied on in other places as well, like with healing spells: you can't cast revive for instance when you have 51/65 HP, because max_hitpoints will be 50.
Last edited by zookeeper on January 24th, 2008, 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Just a commentquestion, the forth lvl battle spel (Lightning) Seems somewhat limited in use when you have a more powerfull attack naturaly without spending 19 mana on it.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
TruePurple

Post by TruePurple »

This was really fun. (our party was killed 1 by 1 :p )

A few things.

There really needs to be some way to share stuff among players. Failing that, more quests/events should give stuff to all players.

Mountaineering and swimming should reduced your movement on those tiles by 1 to 2. Not to 1. It kinda makes the forestry option the lesser of the choices otherwise. Plus players shouldn't be able to zoom over/see great distances over, mountains or streams anyways.

Since being resurrected costs you all your stuff anyways, perhaps you could allow players to talk to their boss in the middle for resurrections instead of having to wait till someone gets heal 4? She/he could ask for a little gold, a special item(I like this option, maybe all resurrection magic could require a special item just for that), or a small quest in return.

Perhaps mountaineering, swimming and forestry can all give a small defensive bonus when on those tile types?

It would be nice if at character creation you could back out of the menu if you wish to make changes to your choices.

It would also be nice if some text telling others what that player picked popped up after they made their choices. This way players can more easily make their own decisions, like.. Ok he/she picked healing magic, so I can go for battle easier. He/she picked mountaineering so maybe I should take swimming.

Help file info on your character creation choices & future spells would be nice. As well as something so you can see inventory, gold, and current quests details would be real nice.

Maybe characters could get 20 experience, not 10 when leveling troops?(still a small compensation considering how much experience it takes to level even the level 1's)

Maybe characters could get X experience for each troop they keep alive till the end as motivation to keep them alive? I personally think that would be really great.
nataS

Post by nataS »

Brilliant map, played it twice so far. First time the party quit after we played like a fourth of the map. Second time I took control of the entire brotherhood, I'm still playing that game.

First some comments on the ones from TruePurple:
TruePurple wrote:It kinda makes the forestry option the lesser of the choices otherwise.
I did find it very useful for certain parts of the map.
TruePurple wrote:Maybe characters could get 20 experience, not 10 when leveling troops?(still a small compensation considering how much experience it takes to level even the level 1's)

Maybe characters could get X experience for each troop they keep alive till the end as motivation to keep them alive? I personally think that would be really great.
Experience wise, the best way to currently do it, is leaving those troops behind at the port. No other part of the map holds so much experience for your mages. No way you want to waste that on troops that will be under your control for only a very limited time.

One thing that would be an improvement is if the mercenaries you can get at another part of the map would teleport with you. Without that they seem to be of very limited value.

Finally I could use some help since I'm stuck. I seem to have explored all parts of the map at least twice.. But cant find out how to do the incantation. Anyone willing to give a hint?

Is it possible to break the ending by making a wrong choice at some point?
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

"That which leads you to roam,
Is often found close to home."

-Talena the Fortune Teller, Hayshore Market
:D
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves