Imperial Era Campaign: Alfhelm the Wise

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

l'ultimo cruco

the torch doesn't burn and the boat doesn't swim

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

Hi Turin,

just wanted to give you some homework for the holidays :wink:

Currently - BfW 1.3.12 - the campaign is broken in "A Fizzling Torch"; after the intro Alfheim isn't turned into a Boatsmen, which means he has to storm the walls to get to the warehouse to set on fire...risulting being trampled to death by the hippos :cry:

As well there is a bug in "To Ceresia" as the Pillagers of the Maurauder Slash-and-Burn-Party doesn't set of wildfires...

As a general remark, (playing on normal difficulty) it seems to me that "To Ceresia" is too hard: the Lavinium Commander has a nearly infinite amount of money; he recruits something like 5 full castles of troops, before he runs out of money. :shock: Generally needs a bit of saveloading to get it done, which is a pity as the rest of the campaign is challenging but you can make it without cheating.

As well, after "To Ceresia", as you wait to build up your supplies, some extra gold would be welcome and fair, IMHO. I normally arrive at "The Siege Begins" with something like 100-120 gold which isn't any fun playing, as you have to recall your five best troops to slaughter the best you can...

Just my 2 cents
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

You're probably right about most of those; I'll re-balance the campaign over the break and try to fix them.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
l'ultimo cruco

some more cents...

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

As I'm at it: I was remembering an episode of the Battle of Adrianopoli (376aC), which marked the beginning of the end of the roman empire as the dominating force of the mediterranean region.
The Huns (the barbarian invading force) had a continous flow of information and "troops" by deserting soldiers of the roman empire: pressed soldiers, barbarian mercenaries, run-away slaves,... which thought they would be better of with the invaders, as with the empire.
Maybe this could be a nice feature starting after "South Across The Plains", where you prove your strength: at the begining of the following scenarios you get a flock of irregular troops (mixed lavinian auxiliaries, level 0-1 marauders or other barbarians), which join you free of cost carrying valuable information with them (read: speaking the intro text about the other Marauders in "To Ceresia", telling you about the storehouses in "A Fizziling Torch", pointing out the dissent between the emperor and the local commander...; this could as well rebalance the gold feature I mentioned, beside being nice from a flavour point of view.
turin
Lord of the East

Re: some more cents...

Post by turin »

l'ultimo cruco wrote:As I'm at it: I was remembering an episode of the Battle of Adrianopoli (376aC), which marked the beginning of the end of the roman empire as the dominating force of the mediterranean region.
The Huns (the barbarian invading force) had a continous flow of information and "troops" by deserting soldiers of the roman empire: pressed soldiers, barbarian mercenaries, run-away slaves,... which thought they would be better of with the invaders, as with the empire.
Maybe this could be a nice feature starting after "South Across The Plains", where you prove your strength: at the begining of the following scenarios you get a flock of irregular troops (mixed lavinian auxiliaries, level 0-1 marauders or other barbarians), which join you free of cost carrying valuable information with them (read: speaking the intro text about the other Marauders in "To Ceresia", telling you about the storehouses in "A Fizziling Torch", pointing out the dissent between the emperor and the local commander...; this could as well rebalance the gold feature I mentioned, beside being nice from a flavour point of view.
Cool idea. It would also provide more build-up to the Lavinian leader's treachery in 5.Fall of Lavinium...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
l'ultimo cruco

Re: some more cents...

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

turin wrote: Cool idea.
Glad you like it.
Fsevra

Post by Fsevra »

Actually, I have a different issue with fizzling torch. The guy didn't turn into a boat, but I managed to get him in the city anyway by killing one of the archers. However, there...er...doesn't seem to be a warehouse.
Lord Of Weapons And Magic

Problems with the Campaing

Post by Lord Of Weapons And Magic »

Hi, Turin im a fan of Both Fall Of Silvium and Alfheim, but i have caugth with tree problems:

1) The First is in A Fizzling Torch Before, never Could pass it because there isnt any specification to were move Alfheim.

2) Now in the Lastest Version Of Wesnoth On The Development Branch, I cant play the Scenario it Says that the Scenario is Corrupt, and i have the lastest version Of Alfheim.

3) This occurs again on the Scenario 3-2 of the Third Episode.

4) There is a major Unit Bug that i forget, this one is with the Warriors, for more an specific delimitation is the Alfheim Warrior, and the Recruited Warrior, there are two graphics changes Alheim has the old warrior Graphics with an straigth advancement, but if we are talking of the ones you recruit there is an a heavy diference since they turn onto Jarls or Pillagers, but with Alfheim it goes directly to Lord with no pillager advancement.

I Reached the Scenario Of the Third episode by changing the List of next Scenario, but for some reason now i cant evry time that i do it it isist on launching onto the 3-2, instead of An a unexpected help or The Western March.

Well thats all i have to report and i hope to see your camaping onwards the Futre (On the Mainline Of Scenarios)
Last edited by Lord Of Weapons And Magic on January 6th, 2008, 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

OK, so the problem with Fizzling Torch would be that Alfhelm is only changed to a boatsman tree unit if he is a Warrior, Pillager or Lord... so, if he is a Jarl or a Scorcher, it doesn't work.

It should be easy to fix, though perhaps slightly time-consuming.

I'll look into balancing To Ceresia once I've fixed that.
The World of Orbivm
rand

Post by rand »

Hello,

Just downloaded Imperial Era and this campaign in the dev version 1.3.13. No luck running the campaign, however, as Wesnoth is giving an "Unknown Unit type Marauder Hunter" and crashing.

Only thing perhaps unusual about the install was that i downloaded both the imperial era and this campaign while under the same instance of wesnoth... might have hosed some dependencies (?)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

rand wrote:Just downloaded Imperial Era and this campaign in the dev version 1.3.13. No luck running the campaign, however, as Wesnoth is giving an "Unknown Unit type Marauder Hunter" and crashing.

Only thing perhaps unusual about the install was that i downloaded both the imperial era and this campaign while under the same instance of wesnoth... might have hosed some dependencies (?)
:? That shouldn't cause any problems, so long as you restarted Wesnoth before trying to play... the campaign starts for me. Try redownloading the IE - perhaps your download was corrupted. If that doesn't work, uh, I really don't know what to suggest.
The World of Orbivm
rand

Post by rand »

Thanks. FWIW, I uninstalled the add-on scenario, reinstalled IE, reinstalled the scenario. Closed wesnoth between all of these. Still no luck with the scenario (at any skill level). IE does seem to work on its own in mp, however.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

rand wrote:Thanks. FWIW, I uninstalled the add-on scenario, reinstalled IE, reinstalled the scenario. Closed wesnoth between all of these. Still no luck with the scenario (at any skill level). IE does seem to work on its own in mp, however.
Perhaps you're using a version of Wesnoth the campaign is incompatible with; what Wesnoth do you have? It should work with 1.3.13.

My only other thought is, if it's giving a "Unit not found" error, it probably isn't loading the IE correctly, so there's probably a problem in the _main.cfg file... There was recently a change in format, and this might not have made it over to this campaign; check the Alfhelm/_main.cfg file - does it have a line that says "{@campaigns/Imperial_Era/_main.cfg}"? If not, and instead it has a line that says "{@campaigns/Imperial_Era.cfg}", replace that line with the correct one.
The World of Orbivm
rand

Post by rand »

That was it. It's working fine now -- thank you.
gandulf

Post by gandulf »

hi,
i encountered a major problem in A Fizzling Tourch using wesnoth 1.3.14, the wildfires won't be generated once i destroy the bridge.
I played a little bit with the wml and found the problem in utils.cfg GENERATE_WILDFIRES it seems as is the store_locations statement was always returning nothing, replacing it with the following one fixed it for me:

Code: Select all

[store_locations]
  [and]
    x,y={X},{Y}
    radius=1        
  [/and]
  [not]
    x,y={X},{Y}
  [/not]		
  [not]
    terrain=Dd, Wo, Ww
  [/not]
  variable=possibilities		
[/store_locations]
Also switching alfhelm to a boatsman seemed to be a little bugged, but this was mentioned before.

great campaing by the way.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

gandulf wrote:hi,
i encountered a major problem in A Fizzling Tourch using wesnoth 1.3.14, the wildfires won't be generated once i destroy the bridge.
I played a little bit with the wml and found the problem in utils.cfg GENERATE_WILDFIRES it seems as is the store_locations statement was always returning nothing, replacing it with the following one fixed it for me:

Code: Select all

[store_locations]
  [and]
    x,y={X},{Y}
    radius=1        
  [/and]
  [not]
    x,y={X},{Y}
  [/not]		
  [not]
    terrain=Dd, Wo, Ww
  [/not]
  variable=possibilities		
[/store_locations]
I don't see why what it was previously wouldn't work, but your change does seem like more valid WML so I'll use it.

gandulf wrote:Also switching alfhelm to a boatsman seemed to be a little bugged, but this was mentioned before.

great campaing by the way.
I figured out the boatsman-switch thing, it basically had to do with confused unit types. The fix will be in the next version, as will the fix for the wildfire thing.
The World of Orbivm