Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Human Footpad

Post by Thrawn »

Well, as we all have noticed, I haven't been working actively on art much. Instead I've been fiddling around IRL trying to improve somewhat.

Well, I was "doodling" around and something came out that I took and worked with a bit. I came up with kinda decent concept/lineart.

Unfortunately, my tablet pen went missing over summer (I was in NH working), and I don't have inking pens anymore (I didn't buy any after receiving my tablet). So I'm stuck with regular, old pens with no tip.

I was wondering whether someone would mind helping me get it ready to attempt to color--namely by just going over this and turning it into a separate layer with clean lines--my only method would leave opaque smudges where the grey is, or involve trying to use the touch pad of my laptop.

Help would be much appreciated! Sorry for the awkward request..., and the size of the image T-T
Attachments
Human_Footpad 001.png
Human_Footpad 001.png (247.28 KiB) Viewed 4011 times
Last edited by Thrawn on January 8th, 2008, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Blueblaze

Post by Blueblaze »

What's he holding?
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

a club with a chip out of it--except I realize now that that chip is very 2-D, but little stuff like that I can change without a tablet
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

Blueblaze

Post by Blueblaze »

What I meant was, isn't the club a little small?

Examine the club on the sprite. It is roughly 2-3 feet in length. Your club is less than a foot in length. It's size looks closer to a drumstick off a bird, not a weapon.
Attachments
footpad.png
footpad.png (1.24 KiB) Viewed 3957 times
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Yeah, it looked like a loaf of bread to me.

Other than that, pretty good. I don't really fancy the way the nose is. I think it has to do with the lack of outline towards the right.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Normally, i'd leap at it, but i'm up to my ears in tHoT atm. If it's still going wanting when i get done there, give me a poke and i'll come and give it a pop.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Here's my shot at it. I left out the controversial club for you to redo, as well as the eyes. I'll also include the svg file, so you can tweak it further, or render it in bigger resolution.
Attachments
footpadlines.png
footpadlines.png (53.79 KiB) Viewed 3893 times
footpad.svg.zip
(279.56 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Something like this maybe? Dunno what you were planning with the club.
Attachments
human-footpad.png
human-footpad.png (50.87 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

oh shoot--thanks Groovy and Kest. They both look better than I could have done, even with a tablet...

as to the club, I was envisioning something around the size of a police truncheon, easy to carry around and small, but still good for coshing people...

I can make it look less club/bread-y (thinner, slightly longer), but unless I have to, I'm not changing the idea behind it

Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

much thanks, you two.

I think I'm going to be experimenting a bit--I think Groovy's edit is more standard (how I would have done it), so I'll be turning that into a lutesian piece.

I'll try out the more painted style on Kest's, because it's just so friggan awesome.

anywho, edited the eyes and baton, and did flats.

C&C encouraged--I haven't done this in awhile v_v

Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Left eye seems to far away from the nose. Forehead perhaps a bit short. Not completely sure about it though.

Else not bad actual quite good.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The baton seems at the wrong angle. I'd have it pointed forward more, so that the end of it falls just below his armpit..
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
TL

Post by TL »

Yeah, if you examine where the hand meets the club it almost appears the club is bending upwards there.

I like it quite a lot, but it almost seems to be a better fit for the L0 ruffian than the footpad. It could be used for both, of course.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

space invader:...I'll see what I can do. Part of it is that it isn't a flat top, it's curved, so I'm not sure how to draw it.

I know that what you are saying is true, if the baton was a cylinder, but I'm not sure about what to do with the knobbed top.

--but thanks! I'll see if a can either make it look right as is, or just give it a flat top.

@shadow: I think it's the viewer's right eye and the nose that are too far over, actually. But yeah, one of those two are wrong. Danke schoen!

Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

was wondering... did you want to make him fat or just stocky?

unsure if I did the right thing with the chin and neck.