Extended Era revived - version 36

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Truper

Post by Truper »

Welcome back Megane. I think your faction became popular because it had a coherent concept, and pretty nice art. If you're going to work on them again, you'll need to give some attention to the balance issues. Kalis made a summary of those here: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 596#258596
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus."

Sure. But in that case, they had damned well better be called Venusians, and not Elves, Undead, or anything else.
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Hmm. Well, I can see how they're underpowered a bit. I just hesitate to make them more powerful, for fear of going to far.

The main issue I see there seems to be the lack of a "primary fighter," but that's sort of the theme of the faction; they're not strong like the Drakes, or numerous like the Orcs, or even militaristic like the Loyalists. As such, I intended that there be a distinct lack of a Windsong Fighter, if you know what I mean. Seekers are sorta it... but they're easy to kill and don't do that much damage. Gatekeepers are sorta it... but they're really slow. In the place of big numbers, I tried to give the Windsong lots of abilities and ways to take advantage of various situations strategically; they can't just line up on some hills and hold out, but in exchange they can send Seekers through your line and rip up your mages.

However, most of the rest of Kalis's suggestions are pretty acceptable. I'll think about it, and post some possible changes tomorrow.

(BTW, yell at me if I'm stepping out of line by posting in the EE thread; sorry in advance)
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Well the main reason i removed them was i was lacking time to maintain the era, it became to much work for me.
But still i did not wanted to drop them until someone else would maintain them.
Also i found the Era of Myth was a good place for them and i'm quite sure JW won't let them down :)

BTW i've done an update, here v x.31.1 : some updates from Wayfarer and a few animation fixes.
It's updated on the addon server, offline version here : http://downloads.sourceforge.net/extend ... z?download
I still have a lot of descriptions to update...
The translations might not work since i'm not sure the automatic translation stuff of the addon server has been fixed.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

I just uploaded vx.32.0:
changelog wrote: - Drop the outlaws units to enable L3 advancement since they are enabled by default in 1.3.13
- Upgraded the race definitions for 1.3.13
- Fix Default + EE + EoM to detect the latest EoM (Gamma 4+)
- Reorganized the unit directory
- Changed some unit IDs to avoid possible collision with some mainline campaign units
- Added the Sergeant and the Peasant to the Loyalist faction
- Animation tweaks
And that's all...

This release is NOT compatible with the previous releases

Offline version here :
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/extend ... z?download (some mirrors might not have it yet since it was uploaded very recently)
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
binaryquasar

Post by binaryquasar »

after searching in vain to find help and knowing that someone can throw me advice or a link here goes.

as a first time edit to the game I decided to include a sidhe unit into Heir to the Throne..

now I got everything working fine but the animations.. I cannot figure out where they are located or how yours work since it is different then the original in game units fetch this pic at this many frames etc.. in fact I cannot even find an animation tag I recognize

I know there is probably a post/faq to help me but I cannot find it

once more I am including one of the sidhe units into an original campaign and I get everything to work fine except the animations

if you dont want to answer directly please send me a pm

thanks much :D
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Noticed that the Naga Depthstalker (lvl 3) has wrong the AMLA_TOUGH (its missing the "_" ) so it never gets an improvement (nor heals) upon reaching the required amount.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

@Vendanna:
Good catch, thanks ! I commited a fix so next version will have this fixed

@binaryquasar:
You probably need to setup binary_paths so the EE images can be loaded.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

I found some bug in "A New Land" that breaks the Outlaw Princess and Queen of the Extended Era (and i've noticed Bob about it).
So it might be a good idea to avoid those units until a fix for "A New land" is available, since this can be a cause of OOS errors.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

I've just noticed by losing key units in a survival very near the end that EE units don't do full heal amlas? I thought all units did that now? If you have to set it perhaps you shuld.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Ha i see the problem... Defaults unit now use another macro.
So i basically need to change all my max level unit to use {AMLA_DEFAULT} instead of {AMLA_TOUGH 3} (and wmllint doesn't fix this)
Silicon Viking

Backstory

Post by Silicon Viking »

Hello. My apologies if I'm intruding, but I'd like to know where I can learn the backstory behind all the factions in this era. I'm most interested in the Dark Elves.

This is the coolest era out there, so keep up the good work!
DerTod

Dark Elves Wyrms

Post by DerTod »

Hello,
I discovered that the trait of the wyrms changed when they level up from lvl2->lvl3, so a Frost Wyrm levels up to a Boreal Wyrm and the Mistral Wyrm to a Rime Wyrm. The problem seems to be the advanceto-tag in the Frost.cfg and Mistral.cfg files.

hth
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Good catch ! Indeed they were advancing to the wrong unit...
Fixed in SVN so it will be fixed in x.33.0
Grand Marshal Aditya

Post by Grand Marshal Aditya »

Maybe we could add maps and backstory to make this a full package...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Truper

Post by Truper »

Silicon Viking: Such backstory as exists for the EE factions can be found on the forums. The Dark Elves are somewhat loosely based on D&D Drow, for instance, iirc. The best-developed backstory that I know about belongs to the Sidhe. I can help you narrow your search a bit: do a search on posts by user Thunderblade.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus."

Sure. But in that case, they had damned well better be called Venusians, and not Elves, Undead, or anything else.