New tips of the day

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
JW

Re: Details

Post by JW »

beetlenaut wrote:This post was a lot of work. That will teach me to propose changes! :)
And a lot of work to read!! :shock:

All good changes though. Welcome to the community! I'm glad your submissions have been committed. :)
peet

Post by peet »

Here's another tip you could add:
"Don't start to play Wesnoth if you have to leave for work in 15 minutes."
:lol:
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

But who would be quoting this...? :D
Anyway, it's a very good piece of advice - and 90% of the noobs aren't considering it in any way. Argh.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Nobody objected, so I added the tip about weapon choice the way I had said. I also rearranged the tips a little, to put some of the more important ones towards the beginning on the theory that those will be more likely to be read. The only one nearly guaranteed to be read by a new player is the first one, so I put the tip about visiting wesnoth.org first. New community members are always good. (BfW is included in several Linux distros, so not everyone already has to come here to get it.)

If any devs are still paying attention, can you commit this?
Attachments
tips.cfg
(11.69 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Don't the tips cycle randomly? If so, putting them in any kind of order is a little pointless...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Truper

Post by Truper »

This is not quite on-topic, but seems as good a place to mention it as any:

Tips having to do with the game interface being attributed to persons from the game world is more than a little strange.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus."

Sure. But in that case, they had damned well better be called Venusians, and not Elves, Undead, or anything else.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Don't the tips cycle randomly? If so, putting them in any kind of order is a little pointless...
Oh. They didn't used to, but yes, they do now.
Tips having to do with the game interface being attributed to persons from the game world is more than a little strange.
I agree. Which ones are bothering you?
I changed the worst offender (delaying shroud updates so you can undo moves), but there are still three tips that have characters that mention hexes. I didn't change those because 31 of the 49 tips are already attributed to out of game sources, and I didn't think those were too bad.
Truper

Post by Truper »

When I made the comment, I thought there were a few more than the one you cited. I checked today, and that's the only one.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus."

Sure. But in that case, they had damned well better be called Venusians, and not Elves, Undead, or anything else.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I realize this is really nit-picky, but the current tip
If you move a unit, but don't attack or discover any additional information, you can undo your move by pressing 'u'.
isn't fully correct. Any time shroud/fog changes, it disallows undo, even if you only lose information.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Ken Oh wrote:I realize this is really nit-picky, but the current tip
If you move a unit, but don't attack or discover any additional information, you can undo your move by pressing 'u'.
isn't fully correct. Any time shroud/fog changes, it disallows undo, even if you only lose information.
Hmm, that sounds like a bug to me. It should probably be raised in the Technical Support forum.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Actually, sorry, what I said isn't correct. Fog reduction doesn't update unless you gain any new information, and so you can still undo.

What I was noticing comes from when a bit of fog is be uncovered while the unit is moving from start to finish, but then gets covered back up. While the total gain is negative, the fog works as if the player moves one hex at a time, so it gains some clearance between the points.
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Grammar nit-picking:

The tip starting "The chance to hit a unit..." should say "...standing in; however, magical attacks ..." instead of "standing in, however magical attacks..."
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl