Multiplayer Campaigns HOWTO

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Change host functionality works together with mp campaigns as of revision 21537. This starts to look like something real :) . A new release won't be far away so you can start trying this out soon.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Rhuvaen wrote:Just for the record, the [story] tag has been proved not to work in network games - only the host will see the story parts. :(
Yes. And No.

It's actually a feature, not a bug. I debugged the code on this one and it turned out to be the "quick replay" check! Turn it off and everyone is going to see the story :D .

Now i need some input if this feature makes any sense the way it is (i guess rather not, at least not for regular clients that are not observers).
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
DEATH_is_undead

Re: Multiplayer Campaigns HOWTO

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Rhuvaen wrote: - [story] is unavailable over the net. All your carefully crafted [story] information is not available to players who haven't downloaded your content. It's thus not a reliable way to share the story with all players.
But with regular maps it does, it makes no sense.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

DEATH_is_undead wrote:
Rhuvaen wrote: - [story] is unavailable over the net. All your carefully crafted [story] information is not available to players who haven't downloaded your content. It's thus not a reliable way to share the story with all players.
But with regular maps it does, it makes no sense.
My description of the problem was incorrect. See Yogi Bear's explanation above: player who have "quick replays" enabled will miss the [story]. The host will always see the [story], because what he sees isn't a replay. Thus my wrong assumption.

Besides this one, I heard that in 1.3.12 the host must save and reload at the beginning of each new scenario - because all the players get kicked during the transition.
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Update: I haven't been catching up in this thread for a while. All of the bugs mentioned in this thread have been fixed in 1.3.14 / 1.3.15 in readiness for the upcoming 1.4. It looks like MP Campaigns could have a bright future in the next stable release (and that we have more bugs yet to discover...) :)
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I'm just breaking the ice with this, but I think I found something worth mentioning. Using the save_id, canrecruit=1 unit gets carried over with only its [modifications] and its base unit state. If you alter anything directly, it doesn't show in the next scenario. Why refer back to the base unit cfg when you could just renew the unit by maxing hp/mp/attacks_left/status/etc and then put in the desired x,y? However, I've gotten around this.

The real problem for me is with prestart/start events not sending to networked players correctly: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 29#p303329
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

Ken_Oh wrote: Using the save_id, canrecruit=1 unit gets carried over with only its [modifications] and its base unit state. If you alter anything directly, it doesn't show in the next scenario. Why refer back to the base unit cfg when you could just renew the unit by maxing hp/mp/attacks_left/status/etc and then put in the desired x,y?
I think it is generally a good idea not to modify units directly when you want the changes to stay in effect, but I can look into it.