Noobs keep getting Noobier!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Urdun

Post by Urdun »

Atlantis wrote:
anakayub wrote:To me, the real problems with noobs are that they don't want to accept the fact that their noobs, refuse advice, and accuse others of being what they are. It's better to just beat them, or kick them if their your partner, until they get the message, as they're "uneducatable" :p. But then again, I'm just an average player.
100% agree

the Newbies(aka new player to the game) i have no problem with you got alearn sometime. And most of these are open to help.

the n00b(aka shity player) Are the peoplpe that have played for some time but still play like crap. And think they are pro and theres nothing you can say to change their minds.

We all have noob moments but its the guys that tell you to do something thats stupid as hell and they call you a noob even tho they are. Had on in dotg tell me to put all my money on the gob so if they att him he can kill them. And we all know creeps pwn.
Hi, im that guy that you call noob :roll: I was not fine about wasting all the gold on creeps updates, you force me to do so, and after this, you ban me. For me this is a noobish and rude attitude. I have been playing wesnoth for like a year, i've played with a lot of players better than me and i try to learn from them, i dont know you, i dont consider myself a noob, i challenge you to play a 1vs1 to demostrate you that i'm not. Cya in the lobby :wink:
suvorov

Uh oh

Post by suvorov »

I have a feeling this thread my start to get ugly because we have established a negative feedback loop, where people complain about each other on this thread and then the other guy hears about it.

I think we should try to avoid specific people as much as possible. I mean, EVERYONE has had their noob moments. Everyone. In fact, if youve never done anything completely assinine and noobish it's probably the biggest indicator that you are in fact, Noobzerz.

So just a friendly reminder to keep it clean and healthy, we're not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, just have a laugh at how ridiculous we all can be sometimes.

-Thanks!
It is good that war is terrible, lest we grow too fond.

-Robert E. Lee
Uprising
Location: The Northweastern Region, The Drums, A Library, or in Class

Post by Uprising »

Good idea, for all those people out there who critisize others, WWJD? If you don't understand that, then heres this, treat others as yourself.
"History repeats itself do to what people do and do not learn."
--Mr. Anderson (A World History teacher)
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

you mean WWED (eloh, not jesus...get w/ the times, right XD)

anyways... Any arguments about specific incidents will be deleted...you've been warned.

I've been playing this game now semi-casually since before some of the MP devs, but each time someone asks me "psst, how good are you" I reply that I'm rusty and although not bad, not that good.

Most of the time the people playing don't know me--the server regulars aren't the same as when I played alot, so usually I'll be told in extremely patronizing way what to do. I love this, because then I do what I want (which is usually a better idea) and when they get confrontational I go all "strategy guide" on them... XD

And when I ask my partner, if they reply oh, I'm new, I generally like them better than people who say that they've "been playing for awhile" because tey are willing to listen and discuss what they should do.

But yeah, I need to play more
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Urdun wrote:
Atlantis wrote: 100% agree

the Newbies(aka new player to the game) i have no problem with you got alearn sometime. And most of these are open to help.

the n00b(aka shity player) Are the peoplpe that have played for some time but still play like crap. And think they are pro and theres nothing you can say to change their minds.

We all have noob moments but its the guys that tell you to do something thats stupid as hell and they call you a noob even tho they are. Had on in dotg tell me to put all my money on the gob so if they att him he can kill them. And we all know creeps pwn.
Hi, im that guy that you call noob :roll: I was not fine about wasting all the gold on creeps updates, you force me to do so, and after this, you ban me. For me this is a noobish and rude attitude. I have been playing wesnoth for like a year, i've played with a lot of players better than me and i try to learn from them, i dont know you, i dont consider myself a noob, i challenge you to play a 1vs1 to demostrate you that i'm not. Cya in the lobby :wink:

the above wasnt about you end of story :D
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

I think a "n00b" can be a newbie that doesn't want to learn how to play right - e.g. an ally that doesn't listen to his teammates' advice and loses the game for them. No need to define it via time - since a n00b never learns how to play the game properly it doesn't matter if it's day 2 or 200.
Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Aethaeryn wrote:I think a "n00b" can be a newbie that doesn't want to learn how to play right - e.g. an ally that doesn't listen to his teammates' advice and loses the game for them. No need to define it via time - since a n00b never learns how to play the game properly it doesn't matter if it's day 2 or 200.
couldnt say it any better myself
Elvish Vanquisher

Post by Elvish Vanquisher »

i call a person a noob when they do a newbie thing as to show them that this is the wrong thing to do, it's almost been turned into an insult i always thought it ment newbie and i was once on a game and i had better things than this guy and i said i had played it longer so i had better stuff and he called me a noob. At this is said why am i a noob to the reply of you just are. Really i think people don't really use it as meaning newbie but as asilly insult or comeback that isn't good at all. Also i think people like callig others noobs as it makes them feel more experiance.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Elvish Vanquisher wrote:i call a person a noob when they do a newbie thing as to show them that this is the wrong thing to do, it's almost been turned into an insult i always thought it ment newbie and i was once on a game and i had better things than this guy and i said i had played it longer so i had better stuff and he called me a noob. At this is said why am i a noob to the reply of you just are. Really i think people don't really use it as meaning newbie but as asilly insult or comeback that isn't good at all. Also i think people like callig others noobs as it makes them feel more experiance.
The terms "newbie"/"newb" and "noob"/"n00b" seem to have diverged over time. The former just means a new player.

The latter means a poor (and frequently annoying) player who has no interest in improving. N00bs often consider themselves to be good players and suspect cheating when they are beaten.

The main difference is that newbs are polite and genuinely seek to improve.
Atlantis

k

Post by Atlantis »

The main difference is that newbs are polite and genuinely seek to improve.
Theres nothing better then meeting a new player that is polite and wants to learn. And ido everything i can to help them out.
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Post by Federalist marshal »

Now only if everyone else had that attitude. Starting out anew in any game is so much easier without the more arrogant of experienced players.
Sorrow

Post by Sorrow »

Federalist marshal wrote:Now only if everyone else had that attitude. Starting out anew in any game is so much easier without the more arrogant of experienced players.
Most in this community are. Whenever I play first timers which has been a lot the last few weeks in general I try to be very gentle as to not discourage them from the game. Sometimes doing silly things to even the score and make them feel better even though its lengthening a game i'm not terribly interested in.
Let us all measure in milliyards, that way we can all get along.

Replay Archive: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Replays
BuBu

Post by BuBu »

One time i was playing and for me hit anythings it was too hard with 70% of chance of hit, i only hit 1 time (when i was with luck). So a friend say the things to me was little hard and the guy that was playing against we said: you are noob! and i asked for him explain what was noob, because i did a search in 5 dictionary and didn´t find the translation. It seem that was worse than i thought, without know the real mean of noob i said that if i only deals half of damage of my units i could win with easy.

The guy didn't know the difference of unlucky and noob ! Next time if a guy say something like that i will ask a duel. :x
Take a look in the things that i did: 6p - Secret Valley , MAP for SX
Wurmish

Post by Wurmish »

I probably fit under the category of newbie, as I have only truly played online for about 3 days as of this post, but I already have two stories to tell.

I was hosting a game, making a random map because I love the variety that can be made, and this one player joined who shall be unnamed. We start the game, and by my insane luck, I had 7 villages under my control by the end of turn 2. This person said I had cheated since he only had 4 I believe it was, and by turn 4 said player had quit. After awhile I then saw a game which he was participating, and decided to observe to see if this was a habit. Sure enough, a small round of bad luck, and said player accused the opponent of cheating, and left promptly.

Now, on a much brighter note, I am multitasking between the lobby and here, and I just recently witnessed a very good thing. There was a newbie, who apparently had gotten the game today, and even had trouble beating the tutorial. An experienced player was looking for a matchup, and the newbie asked the experienced player if he could teach in a match, and the experienced player agreed and is still helping said newbie at this moment.
Samantha

Post by Samantha »

suvorov wrote:I think we should try to avoid specific people as much as possible. I mean, EVERYONE has had their noob moments. Everyone. In fact, if youve never done anything completely assinine and noobish it's probably the biggest indicator that you are in fact, Noobzerz.
I'm always doing stupid n00b things. Does that make me 1337 5k1z?