Female Necromancer Portrait

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
RedMonkey

Female Necromancer Portrait

Post by RedMonkey »

I was doodling around, procrastinating, and thought this came out nicely.

I am a poor cell shader, really poor at anything that involves doing art on computer, but I will attempt to.

Let me know what you think, or give a hand at coloring it in if you like!

Oh I also think it's 4 pixels too large for width.

-redmonkey
Attachments
Here's the Png.
Here's the Png.
Female Necromancer outline.png (57.11 KiB) Viewed 4534 times
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Not bad. It looks like a late picasso, when he was in his cubistic phase. If you want, that others try their hand at coloring, you should provide a highresolution picture with layers.
JW

Post by JW »

vonHalenbach wrote:Not bad. It looks like a late picasso, when he was in his cubistic phase. If you want, that others try their hand at coloring, you should provide a highresolution picture with layers.
I dodn't think it's Picasso at all. I actually thikn it looks pretty neat. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how good it will look once colored because of all the bones. The line art is pretty good though.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The style seems similar to that of the TROW portraits... of course, I can't really tell until it's colored.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius »

I hope not to offend you, but it almost looks like an..."emo headhunter".
For some reason I still like it though, and it is better than most of my attempts, I'm to embarrassed to post my poor work on here.
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
Check out Quietus's Minotaurs!
RedMonkey

Male - "Emo Headhunter"

Post by RedMonkey »

Ha. "Emo Headhunter" is fine, I mean I have been trying to copy the sprites, and in Wesnoth lady necromancers like to wear bobs with huge sweeping bangs. She may indeed be wearing skinny jeans under the moldering robes and bone bits.

I have scribbled out her male counterpart, didn't bother to ink it (as I did the female one) and am uploading it full size. Hopefully this will be useful to anyone who wants to color.

If this is an improvement, I will redraw the girl necromancer as well and upload a pencil sketch or just forge ahead try to figure out that tricky vector coloring stuff.

Does inking in color and then scanning work?

-Red Monkey
Attachments
500 x 500 pixels
500 x 500 pixels
Necromancer - scketch.png (266.95 KiB) Viewed 4479 times
Blueblaze

Post by Blueblaze »

The problem is, bones don't really look like that. They look like a bunch of dog treats, not actual bones. Most bones don't have a fork like that, but rather knob up, or have a very subtle split.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I bet he's riding something like this.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

That bike needs a dog skull in the front, they could call it The Hound.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Kestenvarn wrote:That bike needs a dog skull in the front, they could call it The Hound.
Then put Nicholas Cage riding it.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Reminds me a bit of Inka designs and reliefs. I don't know why. Not bad perhaps a bit over the top though.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius »

Change the bones and I say the male looks pretty good, I like having all the demonic type symbols on his robes, better than just plain. I'd try to draw more attention to the face than the body though, seeing his waistline isn't really that necessary. And again, don't take offense, I don't even like my work enough to submit it.
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
Check out Quietus's Minotaurs!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

My thoughts:

Firstly, too much detail. These pictures are very busy.

Secondly, i won't know until the colouring's done, but they look a little young, to me.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
RedMonkey

Okay I'm trying to color,

Post by RedMonkey »

Alrighty -- I'm trying this vector coloring thing -- though there's no shading on this one - making it more of another sample.

This time I did an elven archer of some kind. I guess iapt's the female variety, but it's pretty hard to tell. Anyway let me know if this is the right track.

I get the critics on the Necromancers -- although strangely enough I actually know ome of the guys that made that bike. I will attempt a redraw soon enough on them with less detail, more 'boney' bones (though with cartoonish high fantasy, I'm less sure bout that), color and some wrinkles - though the sprites (beardless & pink) look awfully young as well.

-Red Monkey
Attachments
Jut the basic areas roughed in -- when I've slept more than 3 hours (' I said I wa procrastinating')', 'I'll clean it up and and some shading/highlights/details...
Jut the basic areas roughed in -- when I've slept more than 3 hours (' I said I wa procrastinating')', 'I'll clean it up and and some shading/highlights/details...
archersmall.png (41.66 KiB) Viewed 4261 times
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

If you're going to redraw the necromancers, I would suggest - less bones. Too many bones doesn't look scary, it just looks stupid. Right now these two portraits look rather absurd; kind of like deranged voodoo witches. Not like wickedly imperious necromancers.

In fact, I would suggest not having any skeletal decorations on them except for the staves.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm