Faction Observations: Who's the strongest? Who's the best?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

I must say that as drakes have no unit that takes 1 mp to cross deep water, I can see how certain matchups on certain maps might be affected slightly.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

we're working on that.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Weeksy wrote:I must say that as drakes have no unit that takes 1 mp to cross deep water, I can see how certain matchups on certain maps might be affected slightly.
Affected in the sense that I'm now able to fine-tune drake balance to a greater degree (without sacrificing aesthetic), on maps where I'd assumed I'd gone as far as I possibly could.

Every map in 1.3.11 and above takes these things into consideration, and several have changed for the better because of it.

If you want to name a specific map where you think there's a problem, go ahead, and we'll talk about it.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

IB wrote:I think most factions are balanced very well, I do feel undead are currently the weakest faction

i have always thought this too

but then you watch a replay of soliton utilizing WC's and u think "maybe i just need to get better at undead" :P
Last edited by Cackfiend on December 6th, 2007, 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

Unrelated: ever noticed that the stinkiest unit in Wesnoth is called a WC?
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

<_< I'm missing the punchline here.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

WC is short for Water Closet, which is another term for toilet. I had noticed.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

But yes: being able to recruit a level 0 is a great advantage, because they cost no upkeep - if the game stalls, you may build up a weenie horde without impairing your income. Plus, neither the WC with its Fearless trait nor the gobbo with pierce damage are bad.
- Jan Werich
Caeb

Post by Caeb »

haha, European humor... :? but yes, effectively using the units that don't necessarily do the most damage in a given matchup (e.g. WCs, goblins, shamans, fencers, poachers, etc...) can separate great play from good...
waterd103

Post by waterd103 »

I don't know the exact matchups and imbalances.
But wesnoth could benefith of the starcraft effect.
When starcraft was very imbalanced, they realeased a new unit for each faction SPECIFICALLY to sovle his bad matchup.
one example woud be, Zergs couldn't beat terrans mass marines. So they realeased the lurker wich completly rape marines.

If one side have problems against a certain unit of a certain side, give that side a unit that rapes it. But can be dominated somehow by that other side.
IB

Post by IB »

Yes, every faction should have a 300 unit recruit list. Get on it devs!
waterd103

Post by waterd103 »

Considering there is a maximum of 6 matchups, it's absurd to think they need a 300 unit recruiting list.
Sombra

Post by Sombra »

The devs did a nice job to give the undead minor improvements...fearless for the ghoul and walking corpse... the bat is now alive and can be fast intelligent etc.

Personally I feel that all factions with exception of the Knalgans got improvements lately and that they are the weakest faction now.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Caeb wrote:haha, European humor... :? but yes, effectively using the units that don't necessarily do the most damage in a given matchup (e.g. WCs, goblins, shamans, fencers, poachers, etc...) can separate great play from good...
No good humour. Although I prefer mine a bit more dark and crispy.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

To be honest, I find the Knalgans' lack of Arcane, Cold and Fire damage, no leadership, no healer, no slowing guy, no mage, no marksman, no poison (except for the lvl3 Assassin), no lvl 1 skirmisher, no lvl3 for many units and apalling defense on grass and forest a little crippling. They'd have to be the faction I am least comfortable with.
- Jan Werich