for music maps

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jeanbrut

for music maps

Post by jeanbrut »

Hello,
sorry for my poor english (I'm french). Very good game, thanks.
I would propose some musics for the game :
http://o.militon.free.fr/Morceaux/DragonVert1.mp3
And a second
http://o.militon.free.fr/Morceaux/DragonVert2.mp3

Thanks a lot.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

So, are they or will they be licensed under the GPL, so we could use them in the first place? Did you make them?
jeanbrut

Post by jeanbrut »

These songs are not protected. You can use them under the GPL license.
No problem.
Blueblaze

Post by Blueblaze »

Well, I like both pieces, but both endings seem quite abrupt and don't fit well. You can either try to make the piece loop well, or give it a solid ending.
jeanbrut

Post by jeanbrut »

Ok I understand the abrupt impression of the first piece. Maybe it could be better for the loop to erase the crescendo ending because I have no idea -> I want to keep the tension of the harmony.

For the second, I will look for another end.

Thanks for your recommandations.
Blueblaze

Post by Blueblaze »

Well, unless you loop the piece, you have to release the tension that the piece gives, otherwise it leaves the listener unsatisified with what is heard, and emotionally wrecks the listener. When this happens, any good piece won't sound as good as it could of with the right ending.
jeanbrut

Post by jeanbrut »

Ok, I understand your intention. The second piece is made to follow the first. So the tension of the first is released by the second. I have made a new final of the first piece, more "dolce". Listen to it :

So if you follow this by the second piece :
http://o.militon.free.fr/Morceaux/DragonVert2.mp3

It could be better.
Blueblaze

Post by Blueblaze »

I agree it could be better, but you've done a good job overall in both pieces. Continue to work with it if you may, but do continue to work on new pieces.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

jeanbrut wrote:Ok, I understand your intention. The second piece is made to follow the first. So the tension of the first is released by the second. I have made a new final of the first piece, more "dolce". Listen to it :
It's better, but in my opinion the ending of that first piece is still a bit too abrupt and sudden. Maybe the addition of a few notes slowly going down the scale at the end of the last bar would help.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

jeanbrut, thanks for your submissions and sorry about taking so long to respond. I hope you're still around.

Let's have a look at your songs.

Dragon Vert 1:

The piano gives this piece a slightly too contemporary feel to fit the game. I picture this as music for a modern drama/thriller rather than a fantasy game. The piano figure with the accompanying percussion is also a bit repetitive. It just repeats over and over for more than two minutes, and honestly, it gets a little boring. The part where everything gets more energetic at ~2:54 could use a bit more punch. The dynamic level is the same as before and thus the piece doesn't "lift" as much as it could. The pauses throughout the piece sound very abrupt and unnatural. All in all I'm not to impressed with this piece, I think you can do better.

Dragon Vert 2:

This one is much more fitting and definitely has potential -- I love the harp part and the melodies! The snare sort of ruins the fairy tale mood unfortunately. The pattern sounds stiff and the roll sample is, um, not very good. Actually, I don't think this piece even needs a snare. Try experimenting with other percussion instead. And don't forget: the flutist needs to breathe every once in a while! :)

Now, we can't accept any of these pieces as is, I'm afraid. But I like your work and I encourage you to keep working on the tracks -- or submitting something else. You have decent samples, good ideas and seem musically competent, so I have no doubt that you can write some really great stuff.

What you need to work on however, is making your music sound more real and alive. The flute melody is a perfect example -- you have played it like one would play a synth. Instead, try imagining what a real flute player would do. How (s)he would accent notes, where the breathing rests would best be placed, and so on. This goes for other instruments as well.

Your mix is also way too dry for an orchestral sound. You really need to add more/bigger reverb. I think you'll be surprised how much this will help bring your arrangements to life.

(edit: I cnat spel)
jeanbrut

I agree with you

Post by jeanbrut »

I totally agree with you West (sorry for my poor english). Thanks a lot for your advices it will help me.
I know that I'm not so good for the realistic side of the songs. I only work with a score editor and a bank of sounds and it's difficult to seem realistic. I must also take care of the properties of each instrument.
Thanks