Neglected promotion paths

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Xandria

Post by Xandria »

Noy wrote:If you want to keep arguing, fine by me, but its not going to change. We've made our design preference and its going to stay that way.
Um. You might have told me, like, several articles back. Might have saved me the typing.

And, I was not arguing. I was discussing a possibility for a change, not demanding it.
After all, people discuss possibilities on the forums so that those actually in charge of the game can read them and single out those they like.

Isn't Wesnoth a game where all can take part? So do not go all arrogant and overbearing on me just because I am no developer, mister.
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Don't take it so hard - ideas for mainline basically never get accepted. It's not to say they're not good ideas, just that mainline's carefully balanced and considered basically feature-complete. There's nothing to stop this kind of thing being used in UMC.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Weeksy wrote:perhaps a unit with level 1 leadership, pierce resist -10%, 5 more hp, and setup in such a way that it was UMC only... but guess what: we don't have any art! come back when you have some and people might begin consideration.

(Made by Sangel, also used as his avatar. I couldn't find if/where it was first posted. It's UMC quality at least.)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

now, using [base_unit] or whatever, try using it in some UMC or something. Good luck!
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

But basically art is all you need? What stops one from doing:

New unit forked off of the elvish scout with similar stats to the Goblin Pillager!
Grand Marshal Aditya

Post by Grand Marshal Aditya »

...you mean Elvish Pillager? :lol:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Sorrow

Post by Sorrow »

thespaceinvader wrote:Don't take it so hard - ideas for mainline basically never get accepted. It's not to say they're not good ideas, just that mainline's carefully balanced and considered basically feature-complete. There's nothing to stop this kind of thing being used in UMC.
Which is why I am ecstatic there are two new level 3 units I will never get!!!
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

If someone wants them, they'll get put into a UMC or an MP era. Hell, if it's an era, you can put it in with almost no effort. Things are balanced the way they are and flavored the way they are, and a good way to show something could be better is to supply a working example (an mp era with those units?) and if people like it and think it's cool, it could get into EE or something.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

Sounds neat. Xandria should max out those WML skills, right? Right.
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Weeksy wrote:perhaps a unit with level 1 leadership, pierce resist -10%, 5 more hp, and setup in such a way that it was UMC only... but guess what: we don't have any art! come back when you have some and people might begin consideration.
Come on art is never the problem.
Only the high momentum as you know yourself.
I only miss something that makes them appealing for campaigns. :|
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

How about an AMLA_STRONG that just gave them +1 damage?
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Weeksy wrote:How about an AMLA_STRONG that just gave them +1 damage?
I doubt the developers would like this one on an "already extremely strong unit"...
Btw, I hardly ever choose lancers because they basically never get much more than 50 XP for me - they just die too quickly... and actually, nobody said the XP requirement for the lancer to level up into an even more powerful unit had to be low. It could merely be about 200 XP or higher...
Btw, I'm not demanding for such a unit to exist. But as long as it doesn't the lancer will probably stay a rather rare choice...
JW

Post by JW »

Clonkinator wrote:
Weeksy wrote:How about an AMLA_STRONG that just gave them +1 damage?
I doubt the developers would like this one on an "already extremely strong unit"...
Such as the Lancer. A Strong, AMLA Stronged Lancer would be 14-3 Charge, or 84 damage at DUSK.
Btw, I hardly ever choose lancers because they basically never get much more than 50 XP for me - they just die too quickly... and actually, nobody said the XP requirement for the lancer to level up into an even more powerful unit had to be low. It could merely be about 200 XP or higher...
Btw, I'm not demanding for such a unit to exist. But as long as it doesn't the lancer will probably stay a rather rare choice...
You really are missing out by not picking any Lancers. Always make sure they're Strong, and hopefully Resiliant. They play a devastating role. I'm not lying.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

JW wrote:A Strong, AMLA Stronged Lancer would be 14-3 Charge, or 84 damage at DUSK.
Because 100 xp for a 6 damage increase is really so overpowering.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Yeah... I mean, in principle, you could pamper it and feed it XP all through HttT, and at the end have a unit that kills most level 3 units in two blows. For the same amount of XP you could have about three Great Mages.

If the XP cost also increased like normal AMLA, that'd be even less of an issue.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.