Wesnoth 1.3.10

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Wesnoth 1.3.10

Post by ivanovic »

Wesnoth 1.3.10 is out!

So this is 1.3.10. Since I am feeling lazy as usual I will keep this thingie short. Here is what the other devs told me that I would have to mention in the announcement:

Maps which are only used as masks (in [terrain_mask]s) should use the file extension '.mask' instead of '.map'. This way wmllint can properly convert the maps to the new format. Obviously this should be done before running wmllint on the data. We did change some thing regarding maps:
Now it is possible to define the border that is used for the halfhexes by hand.

Added a new combobox to the multiplayer side set-up screen, both for the client and the host, to select the leader's gender (male/female). It even reflects the graphical changes in the UI. It has been a wanted feature for a long time, but in a cooperative effort by Noyga and Shadow Master, it's ready. A test implementation was hidden in 1.3.9 anyway.

Server metadata for a campaign can now be inside the campaign directory
as a file named _server.pbl.

The upload client code now skips filenames ending in ~ or -bak or containing the string .pbl. This is to avoid shipping backups or a .pbl file that might contain a passphrase.

What else was changed? Some updated graphics, translations and probably a lot more that I am too lazy to mention now. For a more complete list (not 100% complete, some devs tend to forget adding entries) have a look at the changelog. A changelog with the changes that might be visible to most users (and only includes these) is the players_changelog.

Downloads
Sources:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wesn ... 2?download (98.2MB) md5sum
Here is the xDelta for the sources:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... a?download (1.3.9 to 1.3.10, 11.6MB)
Check http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7034 for info on using xdelta.

The Windows binary is not available yet. Once it is you can find it on the download page.

The MacOSX binary is not available yet. Once it is you can find it on the download page.

The OpenSolaris binary is not available yet. Once it is you can find it on the download page.

No idea which other binaries are ready, but all the known packagers have been contacted. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to get them work you get on the Linux binaries site for the Linux binaries. Download links for the other supported systems will be listed at the downloads page once the binaries are available.

As a fallback you can also get the sources from http://files.wesnoth.org/ - you should first try to get files through SourceForge to help us save bandwidth.

Soon we will shutdown the 1.3.9 multiplayer server because we want to focus on getting 1.3.10 tested. No idea if the game itself would be compatible with 1.3.9 but to be honest: I don't care too much and you should assume that it is not. The server for 1.3.10 is already up and waiting for you to play on it. So consider doing an update as soon as possible. We want to wait with this until the MacOSX and the Windows binary are ready but once they are out we will shut down the old server.

If you find any bugs don't hesitate to report them after reading the instructions about how to post them. Instructions for bug reporting can be found at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ReportingBugs.

Enjoy!
Last edited by ivanovic on November 21st, 2007, 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

I don't think i even had time to play with the previous one!.

*starts Wesnoth*
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
esr
Retired Developer

Apologies, I introduced a minor bug into 1.3.10

Post by esr »

My attempt at backward-compatibility in the 1.3.10 campaign-client code has a minor bug; uploading UMC in the pre-1.3.8 format with a master .cfg at the same level as the campaign directory doesn't work. Your master needs to be _main.cfg within the campaign directory.

If this summary was too cryptic, please see http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/BuildingCam ... yStructure, especially Directory Structure and Backward Compatibility. The old- and new-style directory structures are described in detail there.

Supposing your campaign is named "Fight For Foobar", and has a campaign directory named Fight_For_Foobar and a master Fight_For_Foobar.cfg, all you need to do is move Fight_For_Foobar.cfg to Fight_For_Foobar/_main.cfg before uploading.

This bug is fixed in trunk revision 21672. I apologize for any inconvenience it may cause.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

I'm not questioning the MP dev's judgment on what makes balance, but I would like to have some sort of explanation for how drakes take extra MP to move over snow and deep water, when they're flying above it for the most part.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Weeksy wrote:I'm not questioning the MP dev's judgment on what makes balance, but I would like to have some sort of explanation for how drakes take extra MP to move over snow and deep water, when they're flying above it for the most part.
Drakes don't fly, most of the time. They kind of jump, glide along for a bit, then land and have to jump again. So they have problems whenever going over terrain they can't land on.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

turin wrote:
Weeksy wrote:I'm not questioning the MP dev's judgment on what makes balance, but I would like to have some sort of explanation for how drakes take extra MP to move over snow and deep water, when they're flying above it for the most part.
Drakes don't fly, most of the time. They kind of jump, glide along for a bit, then land and have to jump again. So they have problems whenever going over terrain they can't land on.
Yes, exactly. Taking off from snow and water is harder than from flat ground for example, so moving through those terrains takes more time.
tsr

Post by tsr »

zookeeper wrote:
turin wrote: Drakes don't fly, most of the time. They kind of jump, glide along for a bit, then land and have to jump again. So they have problems whenever going over terrain they can't land on.
Yes, exactly. Taking off from snow and water is harder than from flat ground for example, so moving through those terrains takes more time.
Ok, with one response I could manage to not reply, but now 2 developers seem to think that thin air (chasm) is equally easy to take off from as plains.

I think it's time to discuss the story part of the different drake-movement types in a new thread or just stop trying to explain how it's possible.

Let's just say that balance required it, there is no story.

/tsr
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

My implementation of gender selection for MP side leaders induces imminent NULL pointer dereferencing exceptions in leader_list.cpp. This is known to happen only when loading a MP game savefile from the MP interface. It
is now fixed in trunk.

Consider it a partial blocker bug.

EDIT: confirmed to be fixed.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
HeinBloed35

Post by HeinBloed35 »

Hi.

I've come across the same problem trying to start a multiplayer scenario which used the allowplayer=no WML directive to hide ai-controlled sides from the start screen. Since most of the scenarios i'm playing with my friends are designed that way, we'll be sticking to 1.3.9 for now. Hope there will be a new release soon.

Mfg.

HeinBloed35
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Is there any specific scenario to reproduce this, HeinBloed35? I'd be pleased to know, so I could test.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Windows binaries: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wesnot ... e?download

* yogi reads the announcement *

* yogi slaps his head *

Darn, the changelog! I knew i was missing something :wink: .

Well, if it's not in there yet, the bugs for mp campaigns have been fixed partly (look at Rhuvaen's thread for details). And some other mp bugs as well (quick replays for example don't show heal and poison anymore).

Have fun :D .
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
HeinBloed35

Post by HeinBloed35 »

Shadow Master wrote:Is there any specific scenario to reproduce this, HeinBloed35? I'd be pleased to know, so I could test.
Hi.

Try "The Fall Of Trent" from the campaign server. It is a RPG style multiplayer scenario. Wesnoth crashes while initializing the gender list for side 8. The WML file shows that the side uses a fixed leader type and does not allow a human player. I've done some further testing myself and have to revise my earlier statement. The problem seems to be with the fixed leader type for the side and not the fact that it is hidden from the start screen.

Mfg.

HeinBloed35
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Um... I get only 5 sides to be setup in the MP side setup screen.

Odds are I fixed it crashing while fixing the bug I mentioned in trunk. That because, if my imagination is working properly, fixing a leader for a side would make the gender combobox be a NULL pointer as the leader combobox is for that side.

So yep, it's fixed in svn trunk. If you can't use it to play, I'd wait for a new release. Sorry about this, it's all my fault.

UPDATE: when loading the saved game I get 9 sides to be setup, with the leader and gender comboboxes disabled. No crashes so far, probably it was really related to the other crashing bug. Using the latest version of that scenario in the campaign server atm.
EDIT: removed my accidental double-post.
TheArch

Post by TheArch »

I`'m not sure if this is wesnoth bug or a campaign one but when I play "Across the Harsh Sands" the second "mission" of "Under the burning Sun" (I think) i get this message in the console
error engine: variable_info: index greater than 1024, truncated
multiple times after each move for about a 5-10 seconds and I can`t do anything then.
Cahir Mawr aep Griffin

downloading 1.3.10

Post by Cahir Mawr aep Griffin »

The link for Windows download of development version 1.3.10 from http://www.wesnoth.org/home opens download for 1.3.9, not 1.3.10.

Edit:
NEVER MIND, seems to be fixed by now.